Moparts

Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727

Posted By: L.R Helbling

Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 06:00 PM

Having read the thread under Moparmacka's "727 T/F THROTTLE LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT???", I realized I was having a related issue. Although my upshifts between 1-2 and 2-3 are crisp and evenly timed culminating in a 2 to 3 up shift at about 25 mph, I can't seem to get any downshifting when approaching a turn or coming to a stop until the car is almost completely stopped. Is this normal or do I still have to play around with the throttle rod to get some automatic downshifting to happen shruggy ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 06:06 PM

your year of 727 may not have part throttle kickdown (it can be added into the VB) but wait for Kunkel & others who have more info/know for sure.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 06:29 PM

From 71-90 Chrysler RWD Haynes Manual

Attached picture IMG_0261.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0263.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0264.JPG

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By NachoRT74
From 71-90 Chrysler RWD Haynes Manual

has anyone ever bought or fabricated the adjusting tool displayed in image 5.5 of the manual that was just posted? Also, I'm a little concerned about where it mentions at the top of the section that damage to transmission can result if kickdown adjustment is not done properly. How fast will damage occur if your only out by a fraction of an inch on the throttle adjuster but you're still getting good upshifts?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 06:49 PM

as fast as your upshifts are coming in you are in no danger of hurting it from it slipping from too little psi. On the tool possibly a pair of needle nose vice grips & some rag to protect the shank from its' serrations (if they are just wanting it held in position, might need a helper to hold it).
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 07:37 PM

I think that tool is stated for 6 cylinders only ?

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 07:47 PM

The image doesn't correspond to the paragraph header above it that mentions the 6 cylinders. The image is correct for any 727 with a 1 piece throttle rod I think.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 07:55 PM

I just went back to read all of the sections and you're right! For V8 applications using a 1 piece rod, it starts at illustration 5.15 and they don't mention any sort of tool or special contraption to hook up to make the adjustment. You just take the slack off the rod and retainer and then make your adjustment.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 07:59 PM

Thank you Nacho RT74!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 10:03 PM

You never answered the question in the first reply; depending on the year, it's perfectly normal to have no downshift when turning as corner or rolling to a stop.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 11:34 PM

Apologies. it's a 1971 Plymouth B Body.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/08/17 11:45 PM

OK, depending on the engine, it might have part throttle kickdown (PTK) which means the trans could shift down from 3rd to 2nd at low speed with the application of some throttle (less than full throttle) but it won't shift down just coasting to a stop until almost fully stopped.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 01:27 AM

John, I have a 383-300HP in my R/R. Should I be looking for a 3-2 downshift at some point during deceleration or does that condition not happen?
Posted By: biggE

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 03:43 PM

1971 was the first year for the part throttle kickdown as far s I know. I have a 71 383 A/T car and it works fine. I know that the valve body is the original. If your trans is the original but had previous work done to it the valve body might not be original and could be an earlier year.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By biggE
1971 was the first year for the part throttle kickdown as far s I know. I have a 71 383 A/T car and it works fine. I know that the valve body is the original. If your trans is the original but had previous work done to it the valve body might not be original and could be an earlier year.

As far as I know, the transmission in my car is the original. I've never experienced a downshift from 3-2 when slowing down to take a corner only on part throttle acceleration it'll kickdown to 2nd. I've always had to downshift manually when taking a corner to match RPMs with speed. Would that be normal?

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 09:06 PM

The 727 won't drop from 3-2 on deceleration, it drops from 3-1 when the speed is low enough. The reason for this is to prevent the lurch that would accompany the 3-2 downshift...since there is no coast braking in 1st gear in Drive, there is no lurch as it shifts down when rolling to a stop.

If it kicks down to 2nd with part throttle when rounding a corner, it has PTK.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

The 727 won't drop from 3-2 on deceleration, it drops from 3-1 when the speed is low enough. The reason for this is to prevent the lurch that would accompany the 3-2 downshift...since there is no coast braking in 1st gear in Drive, there is no lurch as it shifts down when rolling to a stop.

If it kicks down to 2nd with part throttle when rounding a corner, it has PTK.

Then I'm pretty convinced that I don't have PTK based on your explanation.

Is PTK available as a kit to be added to the valve body? It seems to me that this would be a useful feature to have for the type of driving that I do. At least for me. Another poster had suggested that it may be.

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/09/17 10:53 PM

Generally speaking, the PTK wasn't installed on HP transmissions but it can be retrofitted. The parts in the link below will convert any '71-later trans to PTK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite-727-...s-/371729024490

Re: Proper Kickdown adjustment for 1 piece rod on 727 - 05/10/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

Generally speaking, the PTK wasn't installed on HP transmissions but it can be retrofitted. The parts in the link below will convert any '71-later trans to PTK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite-727-...s-/371729024490

Thanks John. I appreciate it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums