Moparts

valve to piston clearance

Posted By: RiskyRickey

valve to piston clearance - 05/06/17 10:27 PM

Is there a way to check valve to piston clearance with heads on. Changing to a bigger cam. Trying to use what I have.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/06/17 10:56 PM

Yes, pull a pair of valve springs on cyl #1 with an on head valve spring compressor & sub in a pair of light checking springs. with some 3/8 white nylon rope in the cyl to keep from dropping a valve & then check the VP you have now for a start. there is a range of crank degrees (each different) where the 2 respective valves are the closest to the piston. Others will chime in.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/06/17 11:17 PM

Run the piston up to TDC on the exhaust stroke, remove the valve cover and use a pry bar on the rocker arm to push the valve down against the piston...use a dial indicator to check the valve's travel.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/07/17 01:01 AM

You need to check with the checking springs as mentioned usually from 15 before TDC through 15 after TDC. If using a cam with the same lobes intake/exhaust, and the cam is installed straight up, the valve distance will be the same at TDC from the head seat. Clearance may be slightly different because the valve reliefs may be different depth, and because the valves open at an angle, the larger diameter intake valve should have less clearance.
Advancing and retarding the camshaft installed position will change the P-V clearance, Advancing will close the exhaust sooner and open the intake sooner, so in an advanced install position, the intake should have less clearance (given the same cam lobes, but usually the exhaust is larger duration.)
Posted By: BSB67

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/07/17 02:56 AM

Check intake at 14°, 12°, 10° and 8° btdc, and exhaust at the same numbers atdc, at overlap.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/07/17 03:13 AM

I have seen someone put feeler gauges stacked like checking lash and turned the engine by hand to check v to p
Posted By: RiskyRickey

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/07/17 08:37 PM

Thank you all.

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/08/17 06:48 AM

I would try the stacked feeler gauge method. I'd clamp em in the middle or somewhere other than the normal tips so when done you can still use em normally cuz the tips will still be pristine.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/08/17 07:55 AM

Assuming you are talking solid and not hydraulic lifters, the rules depending upon approach may be different.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/08/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By Clanton
I have seen someone put feeler gauges stacked like checking lash and turned the engine by hand to check v to p
this is how ive done it,never had a prob. luck

Re: valve to piston clearance - 05/08/17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
Assuming you are talking solid and not hydraulic lifters, the rules depending upon approach may be different.
Yes, with juice lifters, with a pair of junk lifters I lock the cups solid with JB weld/washers the same distance below the snap ring as the preload I will be using then use them for checking purposes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums