Moparts

Trunk weaterstripping Removal

Posted By: dart683341

Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 03:16 AM

What is best way to remove old trunk weatherstripping from a 1968 dart?
Is their anything I can spray on and use to scrape it off easier without damaging the paint? looks like its on there pretty good. I think I got the install down pretty good,but removal and cleaning looks like the hard part.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 03:57 AM

Maybe try wax and grease remover? Even if it doesn't work it shouldn't harm the paint.

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 04:07 AM

Thanks , I thought about a degreaser of some sort and a plastic knife but don't want to mess up paint anywhere.

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 05:10 AM

Where is the best place to get the trunk seal?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 05:13 AM

I used WD40 and a lot of rubbimg.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 05:17 AM

Contact cement remover would be my first choice as that's what it was likely stuck on with (weatherstrip adhesive). Or try Goo Gone or Goof Off - should not harm paint.

Wax and grease remover is not a solvent per se and likely won't dissolve the glue. Likewise with WD40, there is very little solvent in it since its mainly a water repellent and lubricant.

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 05:31 AM

Thanks for the Info , I was afraid it was going to be a lot of labor involved by the looks of it. Trying to make a small neighborhood car show next month, been putting the trunk seal off but want to have the trunk open at this show
Posted By: tman

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 06:47 AM

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_11kpsmdcie_e
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Trunk weaterstripping Removal - 04/19/17 03:26 PM

Quote:
Wax and grease remover is not a solvent per se and likely won't dissolve the glue. Likewise with WD40, there is very little solvent in it since its mainly a water repellent and lubricant.
Well I used WD40 and all I can say is it removed all the glue on the paint from the weatherstrip on my charger. It took some rubbing but it all came off with no harm to the paint. Don`t knock it until you try it. I have also used it to remove sticker/decal glue with good success. BTW, Goof Off will harm the paint if you use too much. Ask me how I know.
© 2024 Moparts Forums