Moparts

ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C

Posted By: A12

ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C - 04/18/17 09:51 PM

The ABS/Traction control "tone" rings on the front axles are rusted and taking out (wearing) the sensor/pickups. I'm replacing one of the sensors as it threw the code (ABS,BRAKE, Trac Off) and cleaned off the rust on the outer (edge) of the axle tone ring to new clean metal. With all of the winter salt they rust badly and wondering if I can rattle can spray paint the cleaned metal and not affect the function of the ring signal to the sensor? Do I need to keep them to clean metal or can I seal them to minimize them rusting? Thanks in advance.

MikeR
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C - 04/18/17 10:55 PM

Sorry no help, but I'm interested to see where this goes as I have an '01 and an '07.
No problems yet but would like to be preemptive rather then repairing.
What type of paint are you considering?
We get heavy salt on the roads here too.
Posted By: feets

Re: ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C - 04/18/17 11:50 PM

You shouldn't have any problems with rust or paint.

Tone rings are detected magnetically. It should take a VERY long time for them to rust away to the point of failure.

I guess yours are flaking up and contacting the sensors. If that's the case then you could use your favorite rust inhibitor.
Posted By: Mr_fixit

Re: ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C - 04/20/17 04:50 AM

I had a 2002 T&C tone rings that were so rusty the axles needed to be replaced. They weren't that much. Wife needed the peace of mind that the antilock brakes would work. I think both the hills and the valleys are important. So if you can't get the spaces clean,too, you still might have a problem.
I looked to see if just the tone rings were available, but I couldn't find any.
Posted By: moparx

Re: ABS tone ring rusted, can I clean and PAINT? '01 T&C - 04/20/17 02:40 PM

any time i replace axles on a chrysler FWD, i knock the tone wheels off the axles if they are good, blast 'em, then a fast shot of whatever i have handy in a rattle can. all of the re-man axles i have used come with new tone rings installed [they are plated], so the old ones are not needed for returns. a few taps [be careful] with a brass drift and hammer will remove the old ones. then i have some on hand if needed. several times, i have seen them crack for no apparent reason, such as rust, and i can then replace just the ring without needing the axle. old depression era habits die hard. i learned them from my granpappy.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums