Moparts

72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch

Posted By: hillsidehemi

72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 04:36 PM

Did some searching and found a lot of key stuck in ignition switch but this is the opposite. All of sudden the key will not even go in a quarter of the way. No warning signs just stopped going in. Lucky I was home but I did have to put it on a jack to roll it into the garage because rear and steering were locked up. This is an Automatic on the column car so no linkages involved I don't think. Shot a little lube in the switch but no change. I guess its time to replace the switch? Any other suggestions to check? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 05:09 PM

did you use the proper key? and not your mom's chevy key? work

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 06:45 PM

Mother long dead. Thanks for the helpful reply and sharing your knowledge.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 09:32 PM

The little barrels fell down into the keyway. Pretty common with the "upside down" key position.
Posted By: Hoop

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 09:43 PM

It may can be fixed, if your wondering how, they are a video about Mopar key switch's on youtube.com.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/18/17 11:40 PM

Try sticking a wire (unbent paper clip should work) into the key slot and jiggle the pins. If one is stuck that action might free it up to move again.

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/19/17 02:34 PM

thanks for the suggestions. Still can't get the key in so it must be time to replace it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/19/17 05:25 PM

If the lock has the removeable rectangular chrome cover like lock cyls do then you can get in there & clean everything up & some powdered graphite helps (assuming nothing got bent).
Posted By: wingman

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/19/17 05:43 PM

If the pins have dropped, it may be able to be fixed. Years ago I took mine to a locksmith with the key and he was able to re-pin it. Worked fine ever since and was cheap.

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/19/17 06:16 PM

New lock cylinder is $14 so I ordered one. I would never trust this one again anyway. If I had been out somewhere when this happened it would have had to been towed.

Re: 72 Duster Key will not go in ignition switch - 04/19/17 06:17 PM

New lock cylinder is $14 so I ordered one. I would never trust this one again anyway. If I had been out somewhere when this happened it would have had to been towed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums