Moparts

318 wide block parts interchange

Posted By: tippytoe

318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 05:07 AM

I recently purchased a 67 Coronet that has the 318 wide block engine. The engine is shot & I feel it's pointless to mess with that power plant. I have a mid 70's 360 in the garage that was pulled from a truck that i would like to throw in it. Are any of the parts from the original wide block interchangeable with the 360 ? Specifically, the motor mounts, the exhaust manifolds, distributor, & transmission. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 05:29 AM

Some parts will fit and it will bolt to the original trans. A weighted 360 converter(if your trans is the later fine spline input,and it should be).Or you can use a balanced flex plate used with a neutral balance converter.Exhaust manifolds are different port spacing and don't fit.The motor mounts may fit but will need shimmed,on one side the 360 mount boss is narrower.Distributor yes it will fit.My '65 Coronet has an LA 318 where a Poly/wide block once was.It has one bell housing bolt that doesn't line up,so it is not used.Not sure if this is true on your later trans,but it poses no real issue.
RT

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 05:35 AM

Trans is the original 67 unit
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 06:07 AM

By later trans I meant later than my cable shifted '65 model.It should bolt to the LA 360 no problem.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 02:25 PM

Is your Poly mated to an automatic or manual transmission? What about the 360?

- EM

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 03:00 PM

Both were automatics
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 08:17 PM

Check the converter hub diameter, sometime around 67 they went to a bigger one, the smaller one will not fit properly without a spacer ring. 68 was big for sure and 66 was small I don't remember where 67 fits. If it is the right size you can just add on the 360 weights. Also the 904 with the small hub used a smaller input shaft in the trans so you can not just get a converter with a big hub and stuff it in.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/08/17 09:18 PM

The converter hub issue only relates to the 273, the '62-later Poly has the same crank flange as the 360 LA.

A '67 with a Poly; must be Canadian?
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/09/17 02:50 PM

That's what I guessed too John. I thought 66' was the last year they were used in the US. I think they went into the 68' model year in Canada.

- EM
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/10/17 07:25 PM

Motor mounts, distributor and transmission all will bolt on. IIRC there is a modification to the motor mount bracket on one side. Also timing chain cover should swap.

The block has exactly the same deck height as a 1968 318. It's just the configuration of the heads and intake manifold that make it seem farther between the valve covers.

What won't swap; heads, intake, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, harmonic damper if there is one, camshaft, pushrods, valves.

R.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/11/17 12:09 AM

There s one hole on the lower part of the bellhousing that doesn't match up. It is easy to drill a hole in the right place and thread it.

R.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/11/17 05:33 AM

The term "Wide Block" is not correct. The Poly series engine block is dimensionally similar to any 273-318-340 or 360 LA series engine.
Like DogDays wrote...."The block has exactly the same deck height as a 1968 318. It's just the configuration of the heads and intake manifold that make it seem farther between the valve covers."
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/12/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
The term "Wide Block" is not correct. The Poly series engine block is dimensionally similar to any 273-318-340 or 360 LA series engine.
Like DogDays wrote...."The block has exactly the same deck height as a 1968 318. It's just the configuration of the heads and intake manifold that make it seem farther between the valve covers."

Thank you
Posted By: skicker

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/12/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
Motor mounts, distributor and transmission all will bolt on. IIRC there is a modification to the motor mount bracket on one side. Also timing chain cover should swap.

The block has exactly the same deck height as a 1968 318. It's just the configuration of the heads and intake manifold that make it seem farther between the valve covers.

What won't swap; heads, intake, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, harmonic damper if there is one, camshaft, pushrods, valves.

R.

Timing chain cover is different also. On the drivers side about halfway up there is a bolt hole that is not on the LA 318's. It goes where the half moon gasket always sticks out of the cover on an LA engine... twocents

Attached picture index.1.jpg
Attached picture index.2.jpg
Attached picture index.jpg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/12/17 11:41 PM

Go look at a genuine for real pre 70 LA timing cover, not the one size fits all you posted.

That is why some people call the poly 381's a wide block.

They don't really know the LA block either.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/13/17 04:03 AM

Quote:
Timing chain cover is different also. On the drivers side about halfway up there is a bolt hole that is not on the LA 318's.
Ahh the mystery is explained, I always wondered why LA timing cover gaskets have that extra hole on the one side, now I know!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/13/17 02:31 PM

IIRC, correct term is A engine or LA engine.

A-engine = poly heads

LA = light weight block casting/wedge head

poly refers to the combustion chamber of the heads.

wedge head refers to combustion chamber.

being called a wide block refers to having larger poly heads/VC and a wider intake which makes it wider VC to VC in the engine bay.

my 73 duster with a poly 318 was a tight fit but did fit in there. the poly steel crank is a good upgrade on LA318 builds.

the magnum also has that odd T-cover hole IIRC.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/14/17 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By scratchnfotraction

being called a wide block refers to having larger poly heads/VC and a wider intake which makes it wider VC to VC in the engine bay.

my 73 duster with a poly 318 was a tight fit but did fit in there.

While the poly is wider at the valve covers than the wedge it's a non-issue since when headers or exhaust manifolds are installed the overall width is the same (about 26" if I remember right). Hooker SC 5204's can be modified to fit the poly/'67-up A-body.
twocents
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/16/17 03:54 PM

I agree wider across the intake but outside to outside manifolds same width.

just LOOKS wider because the intake and saw tooth VC are larger to cover the rockers.

wideblock = mopar slang LOL!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/16/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By scratchnfotraction
I agree wider across the intake but outside to outside manifolds same width.

just LOOKS wider because the intake and saw tooth VC are larger to cover the rockers.

wideblock = mopar slang LOL!
I learned something today! I for sure thought it was wider.
Posted By: wayfarer

Re: 318 wide block parts interchange - 04/16/17 05:53 PM

For those unfamiliar with the 'A' engine, plenty of folks now stroking them to 400in and getting 400+hp....not bad for a simple Poly318.
They are most certainly not just scrap iron anymore....
And yes, swapping in a stock B-RB would be cheaper horsepower, just have to deal with the trans.
© 2024 Moparts Forums