Moparts

Torque numbers for aluminum heads

Posted By: fal3

Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/07/17 07:53 PM

I need the torque numbers for attaching intake manifold, headers, rocker arm shafts, and spark plugs to 440 Source aluminum heads (engine is a 440). I've searched the net, and all I'm getting are factory spec torque numbers for the iron heads. Did a Moparts search and received the same results. I've seen the torque numbers on posts @ Moparts, but my memory is playing tricks on me, and I can't remember how I stumbled upon the torque numbers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that aluminum heads use torque numbers that are slightly less than the factory torque numbers.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/07/17 09:35 PM

I'm no expert, but I think all the torque numbers are the same as with iron heads. I've heard to make sure you use steel washers under bolts so the bolt heads don't start scratching the aluminum.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/07/17 10:10 PM

Edelbrock

Instructions

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/5000/5090.pdf
Posted By: therocks

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 03:57 AM

IIRC I went to 75 on my Stealths.Been on since they first came out and no problems.Did use ARP bolts and lube and 3 steps.Rocky
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 06:22 AM

Make sure to use antisieze on the spark plug threads every time they get installed, every time up up
On the rocker arm shafts I use a inch lb. torque wrench instead of a 1/2 inch foot pound wrench, 25x12=300 inch lbs. up
Posted By: Rockland71GTX

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 04:39 PM

Did you call 440source? That would be the best place to get the answer.

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 04:52 PM

Source and Eddys use the same spec.Same with bolts.I agree a dab of anti sieze on plugs and I also use some on the Intake bolts.Same with the exhaust bolts.I run studs even though the holes are dry.Rocky
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 10:16 PM

Factory head bolts?Studs? ARP Bolts?

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 11:13 PM

ARP bolts. Went to their torque "calculator" which is based on kit purchased and the size of the bolt. Had a problem accepting their value. For instance, the manifold bolts are 3/8". According to ARP, if bolt is 190,000psi needs to be torqued to 50lbs which seems high. But, I will state not an expert on this stuff, so who am I to argue with ARP.
I've got 440 Sources info for head bolts. Being an applehead, didn't think of calling. Just went to their website looking for the numbers and couldn't find them.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/08/17 11:23 PM

Ya 40# for the intake no mater the bolt max
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/09/17 02:04 AM

The bolt has to be stretched properly or it will loosen off so if ARP says 50 ft/lbs with their lube for that application then that is what you need.

If you are using stock fasteners, use factory specs. Aftermarket fasteners, use the mfg specs.

Kevin
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/09/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By fal3
I need the torque numbers for attaching intake manifold, headers, rocker arm shafts, and spark plugs to 440 Source aluminum heads (engine is a 440). ...

I've never used a torque wrench on any of those fasteners, some of which you probably cannot get a torque wrench on anyway. Observe proper sequencing and start tightening. You'll develop a feel pretty quick for what's too loose and what's tight enough. I've take apart lots of old DCPD cars and can tell the ones that have never been apart before because the bolts aren't as tight as ones that have been worked on.
twocents

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/13/17 07:22 PM

Wanted to share this info I received from 440 Source about torque values for the following:
intake 10-12 ft lbs, use anti-seize
rocker shafts 25 ft lbs, use oil
plugs use anti-seize, once seats, give a little snug
headers/exhaust snug bolts up
Moparts is good about giving info, wanted to return the favor. Apologies if you already know this information or it is repetitive.

Re: Torque numbers for aluminum heads - 04/13/17 08:19 PM

I agree Ive never torqued the intake exhaust or rockers.Only the heads.But then Im older than dirt and have had tons apart.Same with plugs.Working in the shop you cant believe the amout of plugs that were either loose or so tight you almost need an impact to get them out.But for someone that dosent do it a lot the specs are good.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums