Moparts

STARTER PROBLEM

Posted By: JohnH

STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 08:23 PM

I got done about a week ago replacing Morpar performance valve covers with new originals,, Took Performance intake off,, cleaned it,, painted it,, Cleaned and touched up the engine with new paint, put it all back together,, finished this about a week ago,,, Went to start it today,, all I got was a clicking noise out of the starter.. I cleaned all the battery terminals, I put a little gas in carb,, it started for a second till the gas ran out,, tried it again,, just a clicking noise,, charged the battery,, same thing,, cleaned the battery ground on the block,, tried it again,,, sparks flew off the POS battery.. no start.. just clicking from starter,, The starter alway worked great,,, But now I"m thinking starter,, wanted any other ideas before I get a new starter.. I worked in a Dodge dealer for 6 years in the 70s. Also tried jumping at starter relay. What's you thoughts? Thanks..
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 08:30 PM

if you jumped the relay and it still just clicks, did you clean the connections on the starter and verify a solid ground between the starter and the tranny via a test light?

if you did all that then is most likely the starter. i would pull it then and bench test it.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 08:32 PM

load test that battery.

make sure the cables are good and not bad at the clamps.

sparks happen because of a bad connection, that means sparks at the battery means a bad connection there.

borrow a battery.

also just because a battery has the proper VOLTS, doesn't mean it has enough AMPS to crank over the engine/starter motor, and the relay will just click. the load tester will tell you about the amps.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 08:32 PM

Did you confirm the battery is strong?

If you have a clicking noise at the starter, the relay is good. Try a booster cable from the big positive lug on the starter to the plus on the battery.

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 08:58 PM

Ok... got it fixed,, it was the bolt on the carb return spring that mounts on front of the intake.. not letting the ground wire get full ground off the bolts going thru the intake into the head where I painted the intake.. Took them out,, cleaned the paint off,,, all is well,, Thank you for your input, from the mountains of WV..
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 09:01 PM

turn on the headlights and crank, if they go out you don't have enough amps. or dim very badly.

I have seen bad ground cables cause a no turnover situation as well.
they look fine, but just won't carry the load.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/04/17 10:07 PM

Quote:
sparks flew off the POS battery..
if You ain't already, clean that POS cable also that was sparking.

Re: STARTER PROBLEM - 04/05/17 12:48 AM

It's cleaned,,, good to go... thanks all....
© 2024 Moparts Forums