Moparts

Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear

Posted By: rattler

Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 03:12 AM

Ok, I am ready to order a power steering box for my 64 wagon project. Give the pro's and con's between these two brands. I want a more modern feeling steering. What are the differences, quality, price, any experiences?
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 03:21 AM

Dick & Matt at Firm Feel have always given me the best of service. I've had 3 of his power boxes, one with the Stage 2 upgrade & two stage 3's. The stage 3 upgrade in my bro's 69 Hemi Charger made it feel as precise as his 08 SRT8 Superbee Charger. On a 70 Hemi Challenger I had a few yrs ago, header clearance was an issue, so I sent Dick pics & he clearanced the side of the Stage 2 box I ordered & even clear coated it for me.
You can't go wrong with Firm Feel's awesome customer service & quality.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 03:36 AM

Firm Feel, steer clear of S&G
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

X2
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By 71rm23

X2

X3
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By Triggerfish
Dick & Matt at Firm Feel have always given me the best of service. I've had 3 of his power boxes, one with the Stage 2 upgrade & two stage 3's. The stage 3 upgrade in my bro's 69 Hemi Charger made it feel as precise as his 08 SRT8 Superbee Charger. On a 70 Hemi Challenger I had a few yrs ago, header clearance was an issue, so I sent Dick pics & he clearanced the side of the Stage 2 box I ordered & even clear coated it for me.
You can't go wrong with Firm Feel's awesome customer service & quality.

I Agree !!!!!
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By 65pacecar
Originally Posted By 71rm23

X2

X3

X4
Posted By: dan9

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 04:20 PM

I put a firm feel stage 3 in my 70 Challenger and it couldn't be better.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 07:25 PM

My cars have Firm Feel boxes. I'm a very happy customer.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 07:58 PM

Do look over Lares Corporation. They build a lot of steering boxes and I believe supply some of the things that FF and SAG sell.

R.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 08:26 PM

Just had two done at FF. Service is great.
Posted By: Geo4K

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/22/17 09:45 PM

Superb service from Matt and the gang at FF.
Posted By: Crazy73

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/23/17 04:02 PM

I put a Firm Feel level 2 in my '74 Dart Sport and it was great. At some point I might put a level 2 or 3 in my '68, I just don't look forward to the swap since everything has been freshly detailed and there is no (none, zero, zip, zilch) room to take it out through the top without removing half the engine bay.
Posted By: rattler

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/24/17 03:20 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I am going to have 2 level 2's done.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/24/17 03:40 AM

Same recommendations for manual boxes? FF in a landslide? work
I can get a Lares box through RockAuto...
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/24/17 02:17 PM

i ordered a FF fast ratio box for my GTX,turned out it was to tight for me,no fault of FF just my pref.they took it back and gave me a COMPLETE refund,no hassles.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/24/17 05:06 PM

Got a FF power steering box in my Cuda with Dougs 2" headers. The number 5 cylinder is right up against it. Love the steering but w/headers its a real tight fit on the drivers side.
Posted By: igozumn

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/25/17 05:00 PM

Last fall, I put a Stage 2 Firm Feel in my '69 Charger, mainly cause the old unit was dumping the fluid on the ground in about an hour, LOL. I am running a little smaller steering wheel than stock, one of those 8 piece wood Grant looking things. I bought it, thinking, if I didn't like it, I'd pawn it off on my buddy who is looking to put P/S on his car his year, and he's been talking for a long while that a FF is what he'd like. I hated it. Constantly fighting the stiff steering driving down the street.

And then I had it aligned.

Now I'm not constantly having to countersteer the pulling. I did, and have, preferred the original big car feel. But I think I'm digging it now. But more seat time wouldn't hurt, wink wink.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/25/17 05:55 PM

Quote:
Same recommendations for manual boxes?
we used the 16:1 FF manual, no issues but it is pretty much a simple device (but as you know they ain't cheap). the S&G did not have a fill plug on their offering which I did not like (or understand).
Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/26/17 02:40 AM

I used steer & gear a few years back. Never had any issues, and the box was upgraded to a bigger sector shaft, and firm feel. It still works great.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/26/17 05:54 AM

Another vote for Firm Feel. The Stage 3 in my Valiant precise and tight, light years ahead of a stock box.
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/26/17 02:53 PM

Firm Feel. I have used both. Much more satisfied with Dicks customer service, care and quality!
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Firm Feel, or Steer and Gear - 03/26/17 04:24 PM

I've always used Steer and Gear. It was convenient to drop the boxes at their booth at Carlisle. I have been very satisfied with the work. The steering feels tighter and very precise compared to original.
© 2024 Moparts Forums