Moparts

Recommend me a carb

Posted By: MarkZ

Recommend me a carb - 03/21/17 08:50 PM

New motor is almost done and now it's time to go carb shopping. I'm trying to stay on the cheap side though because I have plans to inject the motor with next year's budget. I would even entertain something used if someone has something that would be a decent fit just laying around. As the projects stands now:

• 512 low deck stroker
  • 10:1 compression
  • OOTB Eddie heads
  • Single plane, Eddie torqer 383
  • Comp XR280HR
  • Shorty headers
  • 2.5" exhaust
  • 3800#

Thanks guys. The information and advice I've gotten off of this forum has been invaluable through the years.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/21/17 09:01 PM

I'd put a 800 cfm Edelbrock carb on there. They are fairly inexpensive and they work really well on the street. They have a good idle circuit and they can be made to flow enough fuel for a 500 inch engine.

You'll need a wideband in the exhaust to get the tune dead on or schedule a trip to a chassis dyno.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/21/17 10:15 PM

750 vac. secondary Holley for an automatic and/or street car. 750/800/850 double pumper for 4spd/track-only car (you'll hate the mileage of a double pumper).
Posted By: JohnH

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 01:55 AM

EB
Posted By: killermopar

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 02:05 AM

Edelbrock 800. Simple.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 02:22 AM

Quote;
"I'm trying to stay on the cheap side though because I have plans to inject the motor with next year's budget."

How about rebuilding a good used carb?
You have a P.M.
Hint hint. grin
Posted By: ahy

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 02:37 AM

Full disclosure, I've never run one. That said, how about the Summit 750? Similar to Holly, decent flow, well rated and reasonable cost. I would probably try one in your situation.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs/overview/
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By ahy
Full disclosure, I've never run one. That said, how about the Summit 750? Similar to Holly, decent flow, well rated and reasonable cost. I would probably try one in your situation.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs/overview/

The only thing I see wrong with that carb is it's a square bore.
Course that's a personal opinion.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 03:18 AM

New motor ? new Carb IMO,
Wanting to stay cheap due to planned EFI, understand until one washes the cylinders down etc. whistling
I say go new, and lean towards a holley but EB will do, depending on your fuel pump / system. Watch you fuel pressure with the EB, they can also be prone to Puddling in hot temps. twocents
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 03:19 AM

Used Holley 4781. You will not be leaving much on the table, and you can pick them up pretty cheap.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 03:24 AM

I do have a TQ that Demon Sizzler rebuilt for me a while back. Never used after the rebuild. Been sitting on my shelf. I figure I could use a $50 bill more than this TQ!
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 03:29 AM

512 cube, I would have thought a 750 carb is to small ?
Posted By: crlush

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 12:43 PM

850 holley dp, you can allways sell it when your done with it without taking a huge loss.
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 04:09 PM

The TQ is a great street strip carb. I like them a lot.
If it is not for you, then a simple carb that will work and work well is IMO a Edelbrock 800cfm Thunder series carb for there adjustable secondary air door.
Just use an Edelbrock thick base gasket to help against the heat of the intake.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 04:38 PM

I like the edelbrock 800 suggestion also... I like my holleys, but have had better luck with edelbrock for street engines.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/22/17 07:59 PM

I'll suggest one NOT to use ... Ebrock PERFORMER 750 ... POS ...
Posted By: fury4speed

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/23/17 02:01 AM

I had a Edelbrock performer 800 CFM carburetor on my 426 Wedge , direct connection heads , Mopar purple cam , Edelbrock torqer with an open plenum and the carb did not work very good , a lot of times when I came to a stop the engine stalled , I put a Holley 800 DP and worked fine , no stalling , I heard with a open plenum the Edelbrock carb does not work good at least that was my problem.
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Recommend me a carb - 03/23/17 02:07 AM

Sounds like a pump issue & float issue. Also NOT a fan of Street bound Purple cams. What size was it?
© 2024 Moparts Forums