Moparts

Tight fit A body

Posted By: Old School

Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 02:01 AM

Putting my Rb motor in my 68 Cuda. It has a QuickTime bellhousing. As you can see in the picture the bracket for the z bar hits the body. Motor still needs to go back a little more. Anybody else run into this? I don't want to just smash it in with a hammer. Thinking about cutting an access hole and then have a bolt in cover. Thoughts??

Attached picture bellhousing problem.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 03:32 AM

I would not smash it. I cant quite see in the pic what is there but here is a BTT for ya.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 03:43 AM

RB in A-body is always a tight fit. How do you plan to get headers through that opening? work

I'd get rid of the Z-bar entirely, and use a hydraulic clutch linkage (not necessarily a hyd. TO bearing though). It is much easier to route a single #3 braided Teflon hose than a mechanical linkage. twocents
Posted By: Crazy73

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 05:55 AM

Fitting a 383 4-spd with manifolds and power steering in my '68 cuda was pretty close to a nightmare - I can't imagine trying that with an RB!
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 12:13 PM

Can you grind a little off the bracket?
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/21/17 03:30 PM

Modify the bracket. Or go hydraulic.
Posted By: Old School

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/22/17 03:47 AM

It's in. I had to cut most of the bracket off. Also had to peen the floor pan. Everything fits fine now, even all the mechanical clutch linkage.

Attached picture IMG_6685.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6683.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/22/17 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By Old School
It's in. I had to cut most of the bracket off. Also had to peen the floor pan. Everything fits fine now, even all the mechanical clutch linkage.

AWESOME !!! Myself, I am not a fan of the hydraulic setups. beer
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/22/17 04:50 AM

That last pic of yours Old School is giving me a woody smile I wonder how long I will have to wait for an aluminium block.
Posted By: Crazy73

Re: Tight fit A body - 03/23/17 04:03 PM

Nice job!
© 2024 Moparts Forums