Moparts

42RH rebuild kit, which to get?

Posted By: roadrunninMark

42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/20/17 06:50 AM

I looking for a rebuild kit for a 42RH. I just got one out of the junkyard, a 94 I believe, to use behind my 318. I wanted to rebuild it before installing. The 318 will be rebuilt also, possibly to about 350hp. Is there a rebuild kit for the transmission anyone can recommend to get that will have all the parts I will need to handle the output of the 318? Also looking into a shift kit if it wasn't in the rebuild kit, nothing radical. It will be a cruiser, maybe 355 rear gear.

Also, are there any mods that could be performed to help the trans run better/stay cooler? I read somewhere a while ago that it was possible to add and extra set of clutches/steels for added strength by using thinner ones? Is this true/possible and whos clutches would be the ones to use?

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/20/17 07:05 AM

here just was a thread on where to go & iirc it said transparts & rockauto (not much but a BTT for you). EDIT yes it was likely "transtar" that I was trying to recollect.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/20/17 04:25 PM

I have used several of the Transtar Super Deluxe kits. Used their kit for a 42RH ...12008E can be purchased at Northern Auto Parts for 116.00...

Also used their kits on several 46RH and 46RE.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/20/17 04:59 PM

I'll second Transtar for a kit, I was able to buy directly from their local to me supply house.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/21/17 01:53 AM

Are you looking for the cheapest or one with better parts AND recommendations?

If you want quality parts along with recommendations on which parts to go with, then call A&A. They will be higher than the off-the-shelf kits, but they will talk to you about your particular application and guide you to the right parts......the first time.

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/21/17 10:23 PM

Looking for the best rebuild kit, replacing plastic hardware with metal. I will look into A & A.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/22/17 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By roadrunninMark
Looking for the best rebuild kit, replacing plastic hardware with metal. I will look into A & A.

What PLASTIC hardware ?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/24/17 02:36 PM

i would take it apart first(if you havnt already) you might be suprised at how few parts you actually need.

Re: 42RH rebuild kit, which to get? - 03/25/17 03:21 AM

Hey John, I was reviewing a thread on the jeep forum for the rebuilding the trans. I could have sworn I read a piece where the author talks about replacing a plastic washer with a metal one. I will attach a link to the thread, but now I cannot find the part with the plastic washer. It may be in there, then again, I could have read it somewhere else? Anyway, here is the link..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/46re-tutorial-911009/

Oh, I found it! Post #5 when the author talks about the drum the low band runs on...

Ever hear of SONNAX brand of parts?
© 2024 Moparts Forums