Moparts

Help identifying stage VI head

Posted By: GLR

Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 03:43 AM

I need some information on a set of older Stage VI heads. I am told they have a casting number on them of; 4532885
Any help of information will be appreciated.
Thank you!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 04:57 AM

From what I understand using them on a B requires an RB intake so you might measure the port/intake mounting bolt heights (compare to a nearby "regular" head).

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 05:49 AM

Well, I don't have the heads in my possession at this time. I know about having to use an RB intake with the heads when they are on a "B" engine.
I don't know if they are standard port or Max wedge port?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 06:52 AM

My 2001 MP catalogue shows 2 bare stage VI heads: 2.14/1.81. one with "small closed chamber" & "relocated spark plug" and the other with "std stage VI chamber" & "std plug location" BOTH with max wedge port window & both require offset rockers.

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 02:59 PM

So these heads should be the good one's to get? These are not the early one's that had the casting issues...correct?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By GLR
So these heads should be the good one's to get? These are not the early one's that had the casting issues...correct?

How are you reading that from what Robert posted???

Is the number on the head cast in or stamped?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 04:44 PM

The "casting" number won't really tell you anything.
You need the part number from the box, or just "know" what you are looking at.

The only what I would call "good" stage 6's were the Chapmans.
All the others are a crap shoot for qc issues.

The best of the non-Chapman heads were the last ones made, which were cast by the Zeus foundry. They have the word "Zeus" cast into the top of the head.

There have been tons of threads for stage 6 heads through the years...... Just do a search.

Unless they have already been professionally prepared, and are a super bargain...... There will be more cost effective options out there.

Heres a good place to start:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/33.html
Posted By: dvw

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 05:49 PM

Stay away from early Stage 6. There are WAY better heads out there. Late model Chapman CNC are nice though.
Doug

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 07:19 PM

Thanks Dwayne, I guess I will have to look at the heads myself and see what they are and go from there. All I was given was the number on the head itself and that they are new.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Help identifying stage VI head - 03/20/17 08:57 PM

Here's a good read of someone starting with the "raw" castings, and going through all the steps to end up with a finished pair of heads:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=63063
© 2024 Moparts Forums