Moparts

what oil are you running in your street big block?

Posted By: Nick Mineau

what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 02:56 AM

im courious
what weight and type of oil are you running in your street big block? what oil pressure?
i run valvoline conventional 10w40 with 30 psi hot idle, 67psi @ 3000
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 03:31 AM

I run Shell 15w-40 Rotella diesel oil. You need the Zinc for your cam. Most passenger car oil had the zinc reduced to a potentially dangerous level.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 04:48 AM

MY current ride isnt running yet, but I have always run SAE30.
Posted By: dave571

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 05:03 AM

Your pressures are good.

I usually run 10w30 in mine.

Occasionally, I will run 15w40, if the weather is unusually hot.

I get similiar pressures to what has been posted.
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 05:04 AM

Valvoline 10W30
60 psi at idle, 80 psi at 3000

doesnt usually get below freezing here but its been an unusually cold winter so Ive been careful not to start it below 30 or so
Posted By: I go fast

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/19/09 01:27 PM

Quote:

I run Shell 15w-40 Rotella diesel oil. You need the Zinc for your cam. Most passenger car oil had the zinc reduced to a potentially dangerous level.

And the current Rotella has reduced zinc levels to a point much less than the original.It is no where near the old Rotella.Truck emission standards are being raised by the manufacturer and the oil is being blended to coincide,so don't take it for granted that you are home free.If you are set on diesel oil,Chevron Delo has more zinc than the Rotella.
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 01:23 AM

I've heard that Rotella has reduced its zinc levels. I've also heard that it still has enough zinc in it to keep a solid lifter cam alive. I've also heard about more than a few cam failures lately with passenger car oil. I'm not defending this oil, I run it because I buy it by the barrell for my big truck. It holds 28 quarts.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 01:37 AM

valvoline vr-1 20w50
Posted By: Junky

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 01:39 AM

Just to say, I run Shell Rotella T 5-40 full synthetic. Around 1400 ppm zinc. Nice oil for the street/strip and not too much $$$.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

Truck emission standards are being raised by the manufacturer

Raised "by the manufacturer" ??? Careful there. I work for a major heavy duty truck manufacturer. "WE" are not raising the emission standards. Not saying we don't support them--just clarifying.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 03:31 AM

I run regular 5W20 Valvoline(non synthetic)in my 518 C.I. stroker, it idles at 50 lbs at 900 rpm cold and 18 to 23 lbs at 900 rpm hot, above 170 F oil temp. I cut the oil pump bypass spring so the oil pressure never exceeds 70 no matter what rpm or oil tempertautre works good, last a long time, three years of drag racing (50 to 100 runs a year, 10:34 ET at 128.6 MPH in a 3400 lb Duster)and less than 1000 miles a year street driving
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 10:20 AM

I run Castrol 20w50 in my 440. I hav 60lbs at 900rpm but thats also dependent on your HV Oil Pump & how tight your clearances are. I used to run straight 50w in my other 440 because the clearances were a bit looser....
Posted By: amixon

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 10:34 AM

Quote:

I go to farm and fleet and purchase two cases one for my Diesel and the other for the flat tappet hotrod! The valve train psi in a Diesel engine still require the missing zinc from automotive engine, but if you have a roller cam that changes things a bit
Posted By: DennisH

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 12:37 PM

10-40 Royal Purple Synthetic. Oil pressure pegged. 440.
Posted By: I go fast

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Truck emission standards are being raised by the manufacturer

Raised "by the manufacturer" ??? Careful there. I work for a major heavy duty truck manufacturer. "WE" are not raising the emission standards. Not saying we don't support them--just clarifying.

Sorry,should have said being forced to raise standards.
Posted By: 383man

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 05:55 PM

20w-50 Valvoline in my 63. Ron
Posted By: hemi471

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 06:04 PM

Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 untill break-in then Amsoil
10W-30 Racing oil.

Attached picture 5039653-Amsoil.jpg
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 06:13 PM

Quote:

Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 untill break-in then Amsoil
10W-30 Racing oil.

Don't want to hi-jack but does the Amsoil syn have any ZDDP and also I've heard the synthetics are more prone to leaking (past gaskets) than Dino oil is.
Posted By: hemi471

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 06:37 PM

MAXIMUM DURABILITY, MAXIMUM WEAR PROTECTION
AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil features an additive package heavily fortified with zinc and phosphorus for superior long-term wear protection. Designed for maximum durability, it ensures critical engine components are protected for the duration of the race. Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil’s superior additive technology provides unmatched durability in extreme conditions. In addition, its high levels of zinc and phosphorus additives make it ideal for street rods, muscle cars and other vehicles with flat-tappet cams.
Posted By: gch

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 06:44 PM

Castrol 10w40 with Hughes engines additive.
Posted By: mcquade

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 08:33 PM

years ago kendall was the hot ticket recomended to me by several racers and such(str8 40 for my application). From what I gather they were bought out and no longer run the formula that everyone was after. I have searched out other alternatives and found BradPenn oil. I think its the good stuff everyone was after. Check out their web site. http://www.bradpennracing.com/
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 09:46 PM

Royal Purple 10W-40, or 15W-40 depending on climate

Attached picture 5040018-0000a.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 10:01 PM

Quote:

years ago kendall was the hot ticket recomended to me by several racers and such(str8 40 for my application). From what I gather they were bought out and no longer run the formula that everyone was after. I have searched out other alternatives and found BradPenn oil. I think its the good stuff everyone was after. Check out their web site. http://www.bradpennracing.com/

Brad Penn is coming from the old Kerndall refinery in Bradford,PA.And the analysis I had done on Brad Penn Grade 1 20/50 racing oil.Sure beats guessing and heresay,lets see some of the others.

Attached picture 5040046-index.jpg
Posted By: mcquade

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 11:04 PM

that looks like it has some pretty good zinc content to me!
Posted By: Dans 68

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 11:07 PM

Brad Penn 20-50W in my 383 4-bbl 4-speed.

Dan
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/20/09 11:50 PM

Quote:

Brad Penn 20-50W in my 383 4-bbl 4-speed.

Dan

Same in my 470" roller cam street toy!
Posted By: Michael

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 12:24 AM

I've several cases of the old Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 that has lots of the good stuff.
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:05 AM

We run Mobil 1 20w-50 extended wear synthetic in the Duster/360 hydraulic flat tappet and in my Coronet 501 solid roller.
Posted By: coronetkid

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:16 AM

anyone useing pennzoil 15w-40? where can you find the zinc content of certain oils? manufacturers site?

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:48 AM

Quote:

anyone useing pennzoil 15w-40? where can you find the zinc content of certain oils? manufacturers site?

I called Mobil 1 and asked them what was best in their line.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:58 AM

Quote:

This is what i use in everything.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 03:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is what i use in everything.

New Rotella CJ grade oil (has flower symbol on the bottle) has reduced Zn & P from previous levels. This is to accomodate the 2007 and up low emission diesel engines with particulate filters. Also, there is more to it than Zinc. Diesel oils have higher than normal levels of zinc, because they tend to have higher levels of detergency. Studies have shown that the high detergency wants to clean off the anti-wear coating laid down by the Zinc package. Thus they added more zinc to help that. I have been told to avoid the new CJ diesel oils with the reduced Zinc, even if they say its backwards compatible.

An affordable buy for an off the shelf oil seems to be the Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 which has a detergent package suitable for a street engine. About $4 per quart at the store. Regular Valvoline Racing oil in the black bottle is non detergent which shortens the drain interval.

Brad Penn everyone raves about, but you buy it thru a distributor. Here it's about $6 a quart including shipping.

A couple weeks ago at our local Fleet Farm, I bought some of their house 10W-40 oil which is Citgo packaged and is the older API SL grade (SL has more Zn & P than the new SM oils).
Posted By: Aero426

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There quite a few different versions Mobil 1, but the one in the silver bottle at the parts store now has reduced zinc and phosphate.

The Mobil 1 bike oil in the black bottle MX10W-40 is actually their old formula car oil developed for NASCAR. It is additive rich, but a little pricey.
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:27 PM

Penzoil 10W-30.
Posted By: tak

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 01:53 PM

NAPA 15-40. We run this at work in all (over 50) our v10 fords , some with over 450k on original motors. There's also trucks that are left idling all day and only have the oil change every 10-15k. (No lie). So it's going in my car.

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There quite a few different versions Mobil 1, but the one in the silver bottle at the parts store now has reduced zinc and phosphate.

The Mobil 1 bike oil in the black bottle MX10W-40 is actually their old formula car oil developed for NASCAR. It is additive rich, but a little pricey.

When I called them the 20w-50 EXTENDED WEAR had extra additives and twice the super-syn.

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 02:26 PM

Quote:

Like I posted above,oil analysis.
Posted By: racincuda

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 02:49 PM

These oil formula changes are giving me a headache but I better save this thread anyway

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 03:09 PM

If you really want your head to spin go DodgeCharger.com Forum and read the following under Mopar Garage in the engine,transmission exhaust and rear end section.

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!! « 1 2 ... 5 6 »

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 03:23 PM

I used to run Chevron Delo CI, but I agree with Doug's concerns about high detergent levels. I have gone back to passenger car oils (currently just Castrol 10w-30) but with a bottle of ZDDPlus.

I think its risky to assume the zinc levels are REALLY in the oil in question. Formulae change--even when the designation (CI/CJ, SL/SM) may not.
However, Amsoil/Redline/BradPenn/Royal Purple are probably excellent,safe, choices because they cater to our niche market, I just prefer to dump the additive in myself.

BTW, I posted two staveley analysis of Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w-40 (thats the CJ-4 formulation) last summer. The Zn numbers were between 1275 and 1300ppm.

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 03:38 PM

Quote:

I used to run Chevron Delo CI, but I agree with Doug's concerns about high detergent levels. I have gone back to passenger car oils (currently just Castrol 10w-30) but with a bottle of ZDDPlus.

I think its risky to assume the zinc levels are REALLY in the oil in question. Formulae change--even when the designation (CI/CJ, SL/SM) may not.
However, Amsoil/Redline/BradPenn/Royal Purple are probably excellent,safe, choices because they cater to our niche market, I just prefer to dump the additive in myself.

BTW, I posted two staveley analysis of Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w-40 (thats the CJ-4 formulation) last summer. The Zn numbers were between 1275 and 1300ppm.

Greg,were those samples new our used oil.I have noticed that our used oil (between 18/20k miles) have a higher zinc content than new.I assume some of that zinc is from engine wear.We run the same oil in 50+ Dt466's and a 8 road tractiors with NP400 Cummins.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 04:00 PM

10w40 w/ Lucus additive.

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/21/09 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg,were those samples new our used oil.I have noticed that our used oil (between 18/20k miles) have a higher zinc content than new.I assume some of that zinc is from engine wear.We run the same oil in 50+ Dt466's and a 8 road tractiors with NP400 Cummins.

These were new samples, pulled directly from our 2000 gallon tank and the dispensing gun (nozzle) in the plant. Not from a crankcase.
I was guessing the levels would be more like 1100ppm (considering it was LE CJ-4) and was surprised at the results.
I still feel more confident adding my own additive though!!
Posted By: ResQ911

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/23/09 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brad Penn is coming from the old Kerndall refinery in Bradford,PA.And the analysis I had done on Brad Penn Grade 1 20/50 racing oil.Sure beats guessing and heresay,lets see some of the others.

Penn Grade 10W30 in my flat tappet 496 stroker.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/24/09 12:44 AM

There are answers all over the board here. I wish I felt comfortable with a recommendation.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: what oil are you running in your street big block? - 02/24/09 01:07 AM

I am using Delo 400 with a bottle of Comp Cam break in lube. Every time I change the oil, I add a bottle of it. I am also running the EDM lifters.

Attached picture 5048028-100_0926.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums