Moparts

CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES

Posted By: moparpro

CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 05:30 PM

HAS ANYONE TRIED THESE YET?IF SO COULD YOU SHARE YOUR THOUHTS ON THEM I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING SOME. THANKS
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 05:42 PM

I've used them in different applications..As a general overview they do their job well with a big improvement in performance..They WILL wear the drum/rotor much more than a standard pad so be prepared to keep an eye on the wear through the lifetime of the pads..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 05:52 PM

I used em (76 A body 2.75" single caliper pistons) in a 65 dart DD & no issues/stopped OK but I drive like an old man so I did not come close to testing their behavior under more grueling conditions.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 08:07 PM

I had a 95 Ram as a second car, that I parked outside and didn't drive every day.
I had a lot of trouble with my front brakes, they'd go bad about every 10K miles. The rotors would look like the surface of the moon, and it became apparent to me that the metallic pads would rust to the rotor while sitting. I tried ceramic pads one year and they helped considerably with that problem! Performance wise they were as good or better. I can't speak for increased rotor wear as I was only getting 10K out of rotors prior to the switch to ceramic!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 08:32 PM

They will squeal at you occasionally.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/11/17 10:49 PM

They are a good street friendly compound. Much less dust than most original pads.
Posted By: ahy

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/12/17 02:51 AM

I run OE type ceramic on my DD's and well satisfied. I agree they are a good durable low dust street friendly pad. On my hot rod that I road track, I run a more race oriented semi metallic to take the heat better.
Posted By: therocks

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/12/17 02:54 PM

I have a set on my 65 disc conversion.Been on at least 8 years.No problems.I use them on stuff at home when i do brakes if my relatives want to pay the price.My 65 stops straight even at 120 with no fade or pull with them.Lots better than the Bendix I removed .Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/12/17 02:57 PM

what kind of bed-in procedure do ceramic pads like ?
beer
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/12/17 08:20 PM

I guess I`m going against the flow here but I don`t like them. I tried them a couple times. As stated they did squeal on occasion and it seemed like I needed more pedal pressure for stopping. I`ll stick with semi metallic pads.
Posted By: therocks

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/13/17 02:14 AM

I break mine is as i did at the shop.Some low speed stops with cooling between.Then a few higher speed stops with some cooling between.never a noise from mone.Plus no dust on my mags.Rocky
Posted By: sthemi

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/13/17 02:28 AM

Our Minivan would eat semi metallic pads every 30K, switched to ceramic and haven't changed them since. 60K + miles. Started using them on all the DDs in the family.
They stop great and do not make a mess on the wheels like semi metallic.
To counter the rotor wear argument, when I didn't catch the 30 k interval on the semi metallic, the rotors got chewed on, and here it he rust belt the rotors actually get some nasty rust rot on the surfaces requiring replacement anyhow.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/13/17 05:56 AM

Are shoes available in ceramic? I see ceramic pads offered, but can't find any shoes for '69 A body.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/13/17 08:55 AM

Switched to ceramic pads from metallic on my 1970 E Body no PB car. Switched from 1 1/8th MC piston to a 15/16th at same time. Now great brakes and no dirty wheels. Smaller piston equals greater braking pressure with lessened leg effort.

No squeal either.
Posted By: moparpro

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/13/17 02:40 PM

yes they make ceramic shoes as well,google this name muscle car brakes they have them in a box kit for all muscle cars.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/14/17 03:59 PM

I hate them, they always feel spongy/glazed and never work as well as even the cheapest of metallic pads IMO.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/14/17 05:31 PM

Probably depends as much as anything on the specific compound
Posted By: second 70

Re: CERAMIC BRAKE PADS AND SHOES - 03/14/17 06:08 PM

I put a set on my Silverado after going 100,000 on the factory pads. The local parts store only had cheap or ceramic and didn't recommend the cheap pads on a full size 4 x 4 and they hadn't had any problems with the ceramic and so far after a year I haven't had any problems either.
© 2024 Moparts Forums