Moparts

Aluminum manual steering box as core?

Posted By: busboy

Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 12:37 AM

My old manual steering box is an aluminum piece, #2537349-6. Thinking of using it to cover the core charge on the new piece. Anything special about this one? It's nice and light, just don't want to blow it on a core charge if it's worth more for some reason.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 01:13 AM

All manuals are aluminum, what do you think makes yours so special?
At 50 cents a pound for scrap where is it worth more - as scrap or as a core?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 02:33 AM

Quote:
Thinking of using it to cover the core charge on the new pece.
did you try adjusting it? are you going with another 24:1 or a fast ratio 16:1? I'd think a new 24:1 would be pricey & for that ratio just me I'd source a common good used one.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 03:33 AM

Steer and Gear wants $515 less $195 for a core. Seems to me anyone with a little mechanical ability and the ability to read the FSM could rebuild one. The only bearings you can't find are the caged ball bearings - likely not worn anyway. The bottom roller is an off the shelf item along with the seals at any bearing shop. The top gaskets are non existent but sealant works and is what Steer and Gear use.

There are many opinions on what lube to fill it with and packing it with grease is no easy task. Heating a bucket of stinking goop up on the bar-b-que also leaves much to be desired. I found "corn head grease" to be awesome stuff - but you can only buy it from a John Deere dealership. Put the stuff in a plastic bag and inject it like you're icing a cake. Its thin enough to flow into every void and fill right to the top.
Posted By: Ski 61701

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 03:40 AM

I bought 90w lube from Bass Pro shop, its lower end lube for outboard motors.
Posted By: busboy

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 04:28 AM

Thanks for the replys, I'm no expert so your info is much appreciated. Didn't know all manuals were aluminum! Nothing special about mine then, it'll help me keep the cost down on a new one.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 06:39 AM

Wow, I'll sell mine for $195 to whoever wants it.

Sheldon
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 05:07 PM

Canadian shipping is gonna be a killer! I'll get you a good/tight/smooth one to your door for $179.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/10/17 10:26 PM

Just rebuild it yourself. You can do it. Firm feel used to sell the kits with the bearings and seals.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/11/17 02:05 PM

I have a firm feel rebuild kit I never used PM me if ya want it for less than FF sells it. Very easy to rebuild theses boxes....Only the v8 boxes have bearings the slant 6 ones have bushings....
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Aluminum manual steering box as core? - 03/11/17 05:59 PM

Im betting some Bentonite grease would work well in these.
© 2024 Moparts Forums