Moparts

Steering column wiring

Posted By: busboy

Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 02:26 AM

Hi All, just trying to get my head around a steering column clean up / rebuild on the 70' Coronet. Found this wire had been cut in one of the harnesses, it goes to the 4th port from the left. Any ideas what it's for?

Attached picture Steering column wiring.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 02:41 AM

that's the main power in feed to the ign sw from the "welded splice" that is immediately downstream from the ammeter. Hot all the time. With it severed I'd think the ign would be dead.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
that's the main power in feed to the ign sw from the "welded splice" that is immediately downstream from the ammeter. Hot all the time. With it severed I'd think the ign would be dead.

Yep.
Posted By: L.R Helbling

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 04:53 AM

It's a 12 gauge red wire that is spliced as a battery feed to your ignition switch. 1 leg goes to the ammeter, another to horn/relay key buzzer, another to alt/battery feed from the bulkhead disconnect, another to a relay terminal on your headlamp switch. That one is kind of important. Try not to loose it.

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 05:20 AM

Ok, thanks. Not sure why anyone would cut that one. Not sure that one will live with a splice, probably look at replacing with a new piece.

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 05:29 AM

it'd be fine with a good soldered joint, actually other connections would be more potentially problematic.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By busboy
Ok, thanks. Not sure why anyone would cut that one. Not sure that one will live with a splice, probably look at replacing with a new piece.

It would seem someone cut it to disable the vehicle?

You could solder that connection there and be good. If your good you could solder it butting the ends of the wires. Other wise you overlap a small 1/2" long bare 10 ga wire to overlap the original cut wires. Shrink sleeve when done with double layers of shrink sleeve.

My red wire where it passed through the fuse block has been soldered together for 30 years. I have been driving the car a lot with AC and plenty of electrical load and no heat there anymore. Actually better than a plug.

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 05:08 PM

Ok, glad to hear that. Electrical's not my thing but it sounds like with a little good solder work there should be no problem with that wire handling the load. I'll give that a try, appreciate the help up

Re: Steering column wiring - 02/26/17 05:12 PM

I would suggest slipping a piece of shrink wrap tubing on the wire before soldering.
© 2024 Moparts Forums