Moparts

BB fuel pump push rod

Posted By: Hangtowner

BB fuel pump push rod - 02/16/17 10:15 PM

I can't get the fuel pump push rod out to measure it on a 440. I assume it is mushroomed on the inside. Any tips?
Thanks,
Ken
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/16/17 10:52 PM

Remove the cam to work on getting it out by eliminating the problem on the tip scope
Are you sure it isn't oil sludge built up on the other end that you can't see work scope
I've had some that I needed to use a pry bar to force them out with sludge on them shruggy
Posted By: CSK

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/16/17 11:29 PM

pull the distributor out & you can see the end of the rod.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/17/17 11:12 AM

just being sure you have the hex plug removed on the bottom, I have used spray carb cleaner and long nose pliers to help free em up. long nose vise grips should work as well.
Posted By: Hangtowner

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/17/17 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize I could at least see the end with the distributor out.
Posted By: DaveKanofsky

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/17/17 09:00 PM

I had that happen on a motor I wasn't willing to take apart, so I left it in there, put a block off plate over the fuel pump hole, and used an electric pump!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/18/17 06:41 AM

They can be stubborn, but the above tips should make quick work of it.

There's a good sized oil feed passage to keep the pushrod oiled. A lot of guys remove the fuel pump pushrod, and use a block off plate to cover the fuel pump hole. This leaves a significant opening in that section of oil system.

I rarely hear anyone address this. Why?
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/18/17 06:42 PM

I didn't realize the pushrod had an oil supply other than splash.
We need to solve this ? as I'm almost ready to test our 512 without the rod.

I see the one vertical gallery on the schematic just before the right main oil gallery but it doesn't look like it is involved with the pushrod.

With no pushrod, if there were an opening at that point, it would be a big pressure/volume loss to the rest of the oiling system, save for the front cam bearing supply. I have never heard of this??

Input, experts?? Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/18/17 08:21 PM

I don't remember seeing any oil passage to any stock Mopar B/RB or Gen 2 Hemi fuel pump pushrod passages confused I'll look later today at two bare blocks, 383 and new World cast iron Hemi, that have in stock up
The number one main is oiled off the crossover oil galley from the oil pump boss in the front of the block that feeds the passenger side lifter galley, maybe that is what he is thinking of shruggy
Posted By: CSK

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/18/17 10:46 PM

just looked at my 68 383 out of my Charger, no oil passage there.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/19/17 01:24 AM

I can sleep tonight....

Thanks, Joe
Posted By: jbc426

Re: BB fuel pump push rod - 02/19/17 08:51 AM

Well, that's probably why no one talks about it. Thanks guys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums