Moparts

riddle me this ... engine test stand ??

Posted By: Stanton

riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/12/17 08:22 PM

To be able to start a motor on a test stand you need a flywheel. On a manual trans motor you'd attach the rear at the bellhousing. With an automatic motor,do you nee to attach the whole trans ??
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/12/17 08:28 PM

I have a spare flywheel and bellhousing for test stand purposes.

Not interested in fooling with an automatic on a test stand and I'm pretty sure you do not want to run one with out trans fluid in it either.
Posted By: J. Hammer

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/12/17 08:31 PM

I use an empty trans case.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/12/17 09:07 PM

I built my test stand to use a transmission. My intent was to use the stand for both small and big blocks. I don't own any manual transmissions. This way I just use the proper tranny for the engine family. I just loop the cooler line.
Posted By: sam64

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/13/17 12:43 AM

empty auto case w manual flywheel here.

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/13/17 01:40 AM

Planning to build a few extra and offer them for sale so I need to build it "universal" from the get go.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/13/17 01:46 AM

OEM 130 tooth flywheels are fairly cheap at rockauto (think 88 Dakota V6).

A plate to bolt to the back of the engine and mount the starter should be easy to fab. I'm thinking "option accessory kit". Heck the plate could be there to mount the engine to the test stand (but it would be engine specific).
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/13/17 05:33 AM

Here's what I did, cut the bell off a 727, cut 727 convertor apart, take the guts out, cut the center out so you can access the flex plate bolts. Works like a charm.

Attached picture 106_0892.JPG
Posted By: dynamite

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/14/17 12:11 AM

Some where on the net I found a site with Mopar acceccories , and I found a bracket for $ 14.95...that bolts to the back of the engine and the starter bolts right into that ..I made one myself , and a week later I found it on line... Don't remember the site but Just google mopar engine test stand starter bracket ..

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/14/17 12:22 AM

Ta-daa...

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Posted By: dynamite

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/14/17 03:32 PM

There you go ...that's the one I was talking about !!! The one I made isn't quite as neat but works just fine ..
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/14/17 03:52 PM

I drew up a plate and had it laser cut. It was my first draft of a transmission adapter plate. It cost me less than 20 bucks at the steel cutter so I keep it around as a starter adapter. I have a flywheel but an empty torque converter would work too.

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/14/17 04:07 PM

Well the minor details of how guys attach their starters isn't my concern, I just want to be sure I build these things so that whatever configuration they need to mount, they can - with or without trans, with or without bellhousing.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/15/17 04:30 PM

Another one of my unfinished projects.

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/15/17 07:24 PM

I built mine with trailer hubs and a tongue so it can be moved from place to place.

Attached picture DSC09146.JPG

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/15/17 08:22 PM

Quote:
pittsburghracer

Looks like we bought the same plans!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
pittsburghracer

Looks like we bought the same plans!

Well worth the price for those plans. I was going to buy one already built but there's a lot of JUNK out there. I would have been modifying it anyway. LOL
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 12:42 AM

Where did you find that bracket, Stanton and Dynamite?

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 01:21 AM

Quote:
Where did you find that bracket, Stanton and Dynamite?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/383-440-MOPAR-Engine-Starter-plate-/301973329352
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 03:15 AM

So would a torque convertor work with a manual bellhousing

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 04:25 AM

Quote:
So would a torque convertor work with a manual bellhousing

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it probably would in an 11" clutch bell. My reasoning is that the 11" bell is the largest and both bell and auto trans have to fit the same tunnel in the body. Now whether or not the converter needs to be supported at the rear I can't answer.

Posted By: J. Hammer

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 04:34 AM

I wouldn't attempt to use a torque converter unless you also use a functional transmission attached. You can use the converter front cover and ring gear with the guts removed with a bellhousing , auto trans case,or a fabricated starter mount if you like .

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By J. Hammer
I wouldn't attempt to use a torque converter unless you also use a functional transmission attached. You can use the converter front cover and ring gear with the guts removed with a bellhousing , auto trans case,or a fabricated starter mount if you like .

Correct, if you use a convertor that has the guts in it, the internals will wobble around and cause an out of balance condition. I've used a 130 tooth flywheel with my 727 bell and it works just fine so I don't see why a convertor wouldn't work with a manual bell. This 340 is running in this pic, 130 tooth flywheel with a cut off 727 bell. A 143 tooth flywheel won't fit in a 727 bell.

Attached picture DSC09145.JPG
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/16/17 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By GODSCOUNTRY340
I built mine with trailer hubs and a tongue so it can be moved from place to place.

Pretty cool idea. up
Posted By: moper

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/18/17 05:31 AM

I made mine after a trip to the metal recycler...
I use a bellhousing and fluwheel, and the rear mount can be swapped with a wood block to run an automatic complete including running through the gears.

Attached picture IMG_0211.JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: riddle me this ... engine test stand ?? - 02/18/17 09:52 PM

I made a bracket that bolts to the block using a bellhousing locating pin for reference; tested it on one of my motors on a run-stand and it worked fine. I used to sell them and valve-cover spacers when I had my tool biz. Wasn't enough of a market for that stuff for me to break even.
All it takes is a small flat bracket; mine were jet-cut 3/8" aluminum.
© 2024 Moparts Forums