Moparts

6bbl intake bottom plate needed??

Posted By: 6pkaar

6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/10/17 04:40 AM

Is the bottom plate that's rivited to the bottom center of the 6bbl intake manifold needed? Does anybody reproduce? I'm planning on blocking off the crossover if that makes a difference.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/10/17 06:42 AM

Ive run them with, without and never gave it a second thought.

But if I wanted to use one and didnt have one id think most anyone could fab one in short order.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/10/17 09:02 AM

You must be talking about a SB intake, correct? If so do you really want to find out what's behind that plate whistling
Take it off and remove all the charcoaled oil and gunk up

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/10/17 12:27 PM

[quote
Take it off and remove all the charcoaled oil and gunk up [/quote]

There isn't on on my intake to remove(yes it's a small block}. I'm guessing it's there to keep oil away from the crossover. I won't be using the crossover, so I don't think it should be an issue not having it on there. As far as making a plate, I believe they aren't flat, but dished down abouit 3/8" or so..... anybody have a photo?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/10/17 02:52 PM

They were put on with a twist rivet from the factory and must have fallen out easily. I bought a AAR in 76 with a warranty replacement short block and one BOLT holding the pan on and the other OEM twist rivet laying in the oil pan with aluminum shavings and another spun rod bearing. It cost my AAR two motors!
Posted By: forphorty

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/11/17 02:11 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-32620

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/11/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By forphorty

Had me excited for a minute that someone was repopping the plate. This isn't it. The one I'm looking for is something like a 4" X 8" plate that's rivited onto the bottom of the small block 6BBL intake. On a side note, "back in the day" a friend of mine got a heck of a deal on a 4 yr old AAR because it had a "blown engine". When he started tearing the engine down this plate had let loose was dancing around with the push rods making a heck of a noise. Rerivited the plate back on and had a really nice AAR for really cheap.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/11/17 05:51 PM

This one !

Attached picture P2110660.JPG
Attached picture P2110661.JPG
Posted By: forphorty

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/11/17 07:11 PM

So that plate just covers the heat crossover area, correct? That plate could easily be made with a piece of sheet metal. I've seen someone (Steve Dulcich maybe?) cover the entire underside with sheet metal attached with loctited screws.

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/12/17 02:32 AM

Ya, that's the one......

[quote That plate could easily be made with a piece of sheet metal. [/quote]

If you notice, that isn't a flat piece of sheet metal, It has a slight dish to it. I would think it would somewhat have to seal up to the manifold to keep the "dish" from filling up with oil. It seems the crossover would bake the oil if it accumulated in there.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 6bbl intake bottom plate needed?? - 02/12/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By 6pkaar
Ya, that's the one......

[quote That plate could easily be made with a piece of sheet metal.

If you notice, that isn't a flat piece of sheet metal, It has a slight dish to it. I would think it would somewhat have to seal up to the manifold to keep the "dish" from filling up with oil. It seems the crossover would bake the oil if it accumulated in there. [/quote]

If you need it,pay the shipping and it's yours.
© 2024 Moparts Forums