Moparts

What does FOB stand for?

Posted By: Cometstorm

What does FOB stand for? - 02/16/09 10:57 PM

This is likely a stupid question, but was does FOB stand for in regards a remote control car door opening devise?
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/16/09 10:58 PM

I don't think they are initials, It comes from key fob
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/16/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

I don't think they are initials, It comes from key fob

F.O.B. "Fresh off Boat"!!
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/16/09 11:14 PM

Free On Board or Freight On Board. You see this on an item for sale usually with a city name or place. Basically means the price listed by the seller includes freight cost to the place named. e.g FOB Detroit means any delivery costs for an item outside of Detroit are the responsibility of the buyer as well as any other related costs incuding damages.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/17/09 12:13 AM

A "fob" is a short strap, ribbon or chain which has attached to it something like a pocket watch.

In the case of a remote fob, it means an ornament attached to a fob chain, in this case the remote unit.
Posted By: cantspel

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/17/09 12:40 AM

Quote:

A "fob" is a short strap, ribbon or chain which has attached to it something like a pocket watch.

In the case of a remote fob, it means an ornament attached to a fob chain, in this case the remote unit.

Close. Chrysler is famous for its acronyms. One of my favorites is the CHMSL. The center high mounted stop lamp. And the FOB. The finger operated button.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/17/09 04:29 AM

The CHMSL is not Mopar-only, as far as I know it is a US Gov't acronym Probably from the safety wonks.

A fob is the thing on your key chain that opens the door by remote control.

10 years ago FOB stood for "friend of Bill"
It can also mean Free on Board but as you are talking about the key fob and not buying freight it is the key fob that derives from the watch fob as mentioned above.

R.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/17/09 05:07 PM

Down with acronyms! I say spell it out!
Posted By: Demon340GSS

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 02:17 PM

It stands for "freight on boxcar"
Cars whereTHEN and still are TODAY usually shipped by railway to a depot at a desination close to the various states to a depot and unloaded, then shipped from that depot to the selling dealership by truck.
YES, It is still done that way today.
There is a destination fee that goes along with it also on every invoice that will match this FOB.
The only way a car or truck did not have this is if it was picked up by the salesperson or buyer at the assembly plant.
Some special sales cars and trucks did not get that.
Some where shipped by sea also which has a different destination designation.
Hope this helps you all.
Grant Eaton
Eaton Gear Corp and Champion Steel.
407-947-9005
(yes you can still go tour and pick up your new car in person if you wish today btw!)

Attached picture 5041336-scan0003.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 03:27 PM

Quote:

This is likely a stupid question, but was does FOB stand for

Not at all in fact this has been one of the most entertaining threads here lately!. It cant be free on board because ain't nothing free!. I am going to go with "fresh off the boat"
Posted By: cyphre666

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 03:54 PM

If you can't pay for it
Fetch On Back

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 03:58 PM

Free on Board. It refers to the transfer of ownership and the liability for damage during shipment. (buyer or seller) Basically boils down to who pays for freight--if the buyer (which is usually the case) then the buyer has to deal with the transport co for damages.
Not sure but I think the term comes from ships ('on board')
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 05:59 PM

10 years ago FOB stood for "friend of Bill" wasn't that Monica
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What does FOB stand for? - 02/21/09 06:47 PM

somebody missed their cold shower this morning
© 2024 Moparts Forums