Moparts

Electrical connectors

Posted By: Jaymar

Electrical connectors - 01/17/17 05:45 PM

Hello, I need a little help . Does anyone know where I can get the electrical connectors on the dash harness that connect to the ignition switch and the turn signal switch , there the white ones and its for a 72 road runner.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/17/17 05:47 PM

www.classicindustries.com might
Posted By: ahy

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:01 AM

Year One should have the whole harness.

Those connectors, even newer re-production, are not particularly robust. I have by-passed the connector block with individual connections for the heavily loaded wires on mine even with re-pop harness.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:14 AM

Agreed, the terminals/connections are always the weak points in a circuit & you want em cleaned/soldered/crimped/shrink wrapped as needed the best you know how for a minimal voltage drop & each voltage drop adds up.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:19 AM

If originality is not a concern, a cannon plug is hard to beat.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:37 AM

The military used them for decades (and probably still are using them)... But they are very expensive. AMP or Molex connectors with properly sized contacts will do fine.

(Also I ran all the high-current circuits of my Dart through relays, so the steering column wiring harness no longer has to have huge contacts).

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:50 AM

Guys will drop $10k+ for a crate engine, but won't spend a few dollars extra on quality electrical connections.

Surplus sales are key.

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 05:04 AM

It's more than "a few" dollars, and I'm not recommending a twist-n-tape instead of a proper connector that will do the job required of it. No need to overspend... obviously something in the engine compartment carrying tens of amps, exposed to heat and road splash is more critical than the dome light connector above the headliner whistling

When buying surplus Cannon connectors, the hard part usually is finding a mating pair. I have a box full of plugs with no sockets and vice versa.

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 02:23 PM

Yeah, I think the interior connections are probably good as is with a cleaning and a coat of dielectric, but exterior and especially underhood, no.

At least weatherpack them. But the OEM bulkhead connection? Cannon plug it.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 03:00 PM

The entire aerospace industry is still using cannon plugs. Not just the military.
Posted By: L.R Helbling

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/18/17 05:13 PM

I may have a used ignition block connector for your car in with my wiring harness stuff. Would it be possible for you to shoot me a pic? I know I have a bunch of in dash white connectors only with wire stubs. I just can't remember if it's for the ignition switch.

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/19/17 05:02 AM

This is what I'm using for the bulkhead connector. I used to have an '87 International semi-truck project and it uses the same connector, still working fine after 30+ years. Much less expensive than Cannon, too.
(Weatherpack type contacts/seals).

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/19/17 03:34 PM

Details? Like PN, with that I can probably find a spec sheet.

Thanks
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/19/17 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
This is what I'm using for the bulkhead connector. I used to have an '87 International semi-truck project and it uses the same connector, still working fine after 30+ years. Much less expensive than Cannon, too.

Those are common on e-bay, I have one for my Barracuda. I plan on using it when I go with the EFI. There are different configurations for number of wires and gauges, so figure what your needs are and shop carefully. twocents
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/24/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By Skeptic
Originally Posted By DrCharles

Those are common on e-bay, I have one for my Barracuda. I plan on using it when I go with the EFI. There are different configurations for number of wires and gauges, so figure what your needs are and shop carefully. twocents

Take a look here:

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/weather-pack-22-position-bulkhead-connector-kit/

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/24/17 04:56 AM

That is not a bad price.

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/24/17 06:22 AM

I may even have gotten mine from that site... just had to make a plate to install over the original bulkhead connector opening up
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Electrical connectors - 01/24/17 05:36 PM

DIY Auto has very fast shipping as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums