Moparts

Molar rear springs flatten out?

Posted By: metalgod

Molar rear springs flatten out? - 01/11/17 10:11 PM

Has anybody had a problem with mopar Orem hemi leaf springs flattening out right out of the box? I bought a brand new set less than a month ago and they go almost straight when installed and the car is lowered onto its suspension? Everything else is correct any ideas? Spring should have an arch to it when installed and car is sitting on its suspension? I removed a set less than 10 years old that do the exact same thing and they were new when installed still had the paper labels on them the parts are correct for the car 1970 e body 440+6 any ideas? Don't want super stock springs, Are these just bad from the manufacturing company? Email me any suggestions atomdoug@gmail.com

Re: Molar rear springs flatten out? - 01/11/17 10:12 PM

Oem not Orem
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/11/17 10:20 PM

yes, there are many accounts of replacement MOPAR springs being too flat newly installed wrench
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/11/17 11:52 PM

Flat is basicly correct. This is how Chrysler designed 'em and they explain it right here .
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By Mattax
Flat is basicly correct. This is how Chrysler designed 'em and they explain it right here .

WOW! what an awesome source of information!! bow
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
yes, there are many accounts of replacement MOPAR springs being too flat newly installed wrench

And many accounts of Chevy Mechanics not understanding Mopar rear leaf suspensions, so they put in a triangulated 4 link. Cause that's what the house of Mullet does.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 02:15 AM

My springs are bicuspids.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 02:50 AM

I had thought about this but then thought WHY?

What can this do that caltrac/monos cant?

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/streetlynx.shtml
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

Flatten you wallet
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 04:03 AM

While the flattened springs may be a good thing . . . the Mopar Performance Springs that were sold as HD (For 70 B Body), that I bought and installed on my 70 Sport Satellite . . . were ok when just new. But after 4 years and 9k miles . . .they were actually starting to REVERSE curve !!! . . . they had sagged well over 5.5" !! Took the original springs and had them re-arched and one new leaf added . . . like the car so much better !!! Yup, sitting back up 5.5" higher !!! Not too worried about side sway - have also installed rear sway bar when I put it all together . . . .
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
Haha, I got it.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 10:57 PM

Had the OE springs rearched on my kids 62 300 in 1999.Had an extra inch arch and one leaf added.He sold it last year and they sat better than any new springs you can buy.Car had tons of miles on it and he raced it a lot also.Rocky

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/12/17 11:32 PM

That is what I have read and heard. The metal used in the old springs was of a better quality. The tempering processes used were like many other components Chrysler made: Built to last. Sure, the windows may have rattled and the interiors looked cheap but these cars had solid mechanical engineering.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 05:46 AM

Lol, I think he has a case of autocorrect blues. Orem instead of OEM and Molar.
Craig

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 08:09 AM

I'm not sure how I remembered that word. I'm not a dentist.

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 04:34 PM

I'm not sure how I remembered that word. I'm not a dentist.
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 07:04 PM

No, Sir...
Did i miss the joke?
Posted By: maxi426

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

Just clicked on the link. I hope the yellow Dart on that page doesn't have that suspension in it!
Posted By: 71muffin

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 11:03 PM

That settles it; I'm getting mine re-arched, not buying new ones.

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/13/17 11:13 PM

Ok yes mopar not molar with the entire leaf springs and shackles all stock installed as factory there is only about 3 inches of room between front of the top of the third member and the floor pan, hardly room for a stock snubber is that correct?

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/15/17 03:09 AM

No, Sir...
Did i miss the joke?
From a TV commercial.

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/15/17 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By 71muffin
That settles it; I'm getting mine re-arched, not buying new ones.
I wish I could find somewhere in my area that re-arched springs. I've searched and found none so always ended up buying new.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/15/17 05:58 AM

My "Hencho in Mehico" Superstock springs 456/457 flattened out and have a reverse arch in the rear after only 1 season of use (abuse). The car has probably dropped 3" in ride height.

They worked fine for a best of 1.54 60 ft. earlier in the season then became junk.

Now they wrap in an S shape so bad it killed the rear u-joint at the end of the season.

Cal-Trac bars and mono's comin' up...

I should really know by now to NEVER buy anything with the MP label..
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/15/17 06:35 PM

GY3 you have any pics of the arch in the springs?
i'm curious, as i think the springs would work ok on my car...i don't have a 500 inch BB.
but i don't want the rear of the car super high in the air....
Posted By: GY3

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/16/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By krautrock
GY3 you have any pics of the arch in the springs?
i'm curious, as i think the springs would work ok on my car...i don't have a 500 inch BB.
but i don't want the rear of the car super high in the air....

No, but I can get some. It may be later in the week when it warms up...
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/16/17 02:41 AM

My 2 year old MP Mexican special junk Super Stock springs have flattened and sagged about 2" which has caused the rear shackles to lean towards the rear of the car moving the rear of the springs in the same direction.

So one time last summer when I hammered on my 440 speed Challenger stretching out the springs then let off the gas, the springs(yes both sides) decided to take a bite out of my rear valance. mad

Thankfully there was no damage but I had to add a clamp on the rear segment of the springs to keep this from happening again until I get a chance to replace the junk springs.

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Mopar rear springs flatten out? - 01/16/17 04:59 AM

As to the "flat spring" issue - spring rate and mounting points normally dictate ride height. IMO if the mount points are in the stock location, the car at ride height should be in the middle 1/3 of the shock travel, and preferably right in the middle. A car almost sitting on the bump stops defiantly has an issue, and most likely it is not enough spring rate. Personally I like to see about 2-2 1/2" of arch between the center of the mounting bolts and the surface of the center pin at ride height, and I adjust my mount points and/or spring rate accordingly. And also IMO the replacement springs offered today are not the same quality as the OEM's were.

That said - the sooner you realize that any spring, by nature, is designed to store and release energy, and really doesn't have any business mounting a drive axle to a (performance) car, the farther ahead you will be. Anytime you look at a successful leaf sprung car, you will see that they have eliminated the spring action from the front segment - be it Caltracs, SS springs, slapper bars, spring clamps, etc. Can leaf springs be made to work? Yes, usually at the expense of ride quality, because again - you have to stiffen the front segment to eliminate spring deflection/wrap-up. Leaf springs are a cost effective way to mount a drive axle, not an efficient one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums