Moparts

D5 Hemi head

Posted By: 1967_GTX_440

D5 Hemi head - 12/19/16 03:45 PM

Hi all,

I've gotten a pair of 16 plug D5 Hemi heads, and was wondering if a normal rocker arm set (rockers, shafts, mounts and adjusters) would work with it.

I've done some reading, and got some mixed answers, so I've decided to ask it here.

thanks a lot
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/19/16 04:47 PM

No D-5 heads take unique rockers.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/19/16 05:06 PM

This is what they look like. Notice how the exhaust is very long. And they use their own aluminum stands.

Bear in mind that D-5's also take a different block (the pushrods come in a little different) as well as different pistons (because of the shallow chamber), pushrods (longer), plug tubes (longer), intake manifold (round ports), headers (round ports as well as a different pattern), valve covers and intake/exhaust/head gaskets. And it may not fit in your car because it's wider. I love them but if you are wanting to get one of those running you are a better man than me.

Attached picture d5rockers.JPG
Posted By: mr_340

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/19/16 06:14 PM

Hemi Fred had some D-5 parts years ago. I think he sold it all. I don't think he had the block for them. I've heard that some guys modified a KB aluminum block for the revised push rod holes.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/19/16 07:50 PM

The D5 head was developed by (oops,it was Weslake) for racing. When it first came out it was a dog. They didn't win races. People who could have gotten them for free, used a different head. I remember the talk back in the day..

I read somewhere that they came back much, much later because they could be wildly ported. The ports looked way different from stock D5 ports.

I am guessing here, but I think the D5 head basically doubles the cost of building a Hemi.

As one of the limiting factors of this head is the small, high velocity ports, it'd probably work better in a street application. Again, cost and room are going to dictate triumph or failure. I hope you didn't pay too much for them.

R.
Posted By: MikeN

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/20/16 09:51 PM

As mentioned the Harry Weslake designed D5 head require the special D5 block (and pistons) to work. See attached pictures. Block casting no is 3577430 so start looking. They are often confused with the iron "fuel" block so try both search words when looking on ebay, I have seen several there.
Some links with more pics:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1268982/1.html
https://books.google.se/books?id=I3WoCgA...p;q&f=false

Attached picture 7306216-D5block2.jpg
Attached picture 7306228-D5block1.JPG

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/20/16 10:12 PM

Pics on complete engine, pistons and headers.

Attached picture D5 a.jpg
Attached picture D5 headers.jpg
Attached picture D5 piston.jpg
Posted By: curbman68

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/21/16 06:06 PM

Does anyone know the Chrysler part number for the D5 pistons? I have a set of NOS pistons that are supposedly for a D5 with 3614 417 ink stamped on them. Have never been able to find that number listed anywhere or a number for D5 pistons either
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/21/16 07:10 PM

Not to hijack the thread but can anyone give me the specifics on the D6 head?

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/21/16 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By Cuda340

Old DC handbook says "D4 intake ports and a new raised exhaust port". Dual plugs, cast no 36144885. Not to be confused with the ported D4A head with cast no 3614433. Have a couple of pics.

Attached picture D6a.JPG
Attached picture D6b.JPG

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/22/16 04:36 PM

I don't think I have the part number but you can cc the dome of the piston. It will be very different. A D5 is around a 100cc chamber vs 172cc or so for a normal Hemi.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/22/16 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By Cuda340

As stated above, it's basically a D4 done in aluminum with 16 plugs.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/22/16 05:01 PM

The "D4A" wasn't a real head. It was a nickname for a head. It is a 433 head, aka "twin plug" head, aka "replacement head" ported by Mullins to D4/D6 ports. Most everyone in the mid 70's used that head. Pro Stock, boats, Garlits. Maximum performance hemi head of the time.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/22/16 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Does this head take the standard rocker gear, etc? Can it but used easily on a street car? A friend of mine has an unused pair.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/22/16 09:12 PM

Yes, the D6 uses standard rockers, pistons etc. But it's a challenge today to get anybody to make off the shelf headers. (Beg TTI maybe they will give in, they didn't for me.) You may have to make your own. Mopar used to offer intake and exhaust gaskets. Most people that port heads today are probably taking the intake port to a D6 size so intake gaskets shouldn't be hard. I have some exhaust gaskets that you could use as a template if you can't find any. The only other problem I see is back then people told me they were porous. I never ran any personally, so I don't know. You may have to put some ceramic sealer in them. But I think that is possible today. The D6 is certainly a good looking exhaust port.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/23/16 12:09 AM

The D6s are kind of a crapshoot as far as porosity, have had some that were perfect and others that had small holes and pock marks all over the chambers and deck. And those are just the areas that are easy to see. They are a really nice, good flowing head when they are right, but a real headache if you get a leaker

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/23/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By rickseeman
I don't think I have the part number but you can cc the dome of the piston. It will be very different. A D5 is around a 100cc chamber vs 172cc or so for a normal Hemi.

Thanks, will check the dome

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/23/16 01:38 AM

It sounds fun running D6's and stuff but I imagine Edelbrocks make more power and are so easy and so cheap.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/23/16 05:05 AM

Unless you already have the old heads, I agree you would be ahead of the game buying new Edelbrock or Stage 5. Sellers of the old heads (D4, D6, 433s, etc)still want premium money for them and you don't know what kind of issues they carry with them.
Posted By: SC304

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/25/16 01:59 AM

Guys

As there seems to be a few people with info on older part numbers.
Can I switch gears here and ask what head carry's the casting number 3512105X
Dec 69 cast dates?

Thanks

Mike

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/25/16 02:02 AM

That's a D4.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 12/25/16 02:12 AM

D4's are NASCAR heads. Never were used for much else because they are cast iron and drag race people want the light weight of aluminum. Tom Hoover said those were the dyno champs. That casting date makes you fantasize that your are in Petty's Superbird at Daytona.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/06/17 12:51 PM

This is what they look like. Notice how the exhaust is very long. And they use their own aluminum stands.

Bear in mind that D-5's also take a different block (the pushrods come in a little different) as well as different pistons (because of the shallow chamber), pushrods (longer), plug tubes (longer), intake manifold (round ports), headers (round ports as well as a different pattern), valve covers and intake/exhaust/head gaskets. And it may not fit in your car because it's wider. I love them but if you are wanting to get one of those running you are a better man than me.

Would you have a set for sale?

currently I've a old KB block going to the machine shop that need to get repaired and I was going to modify it as well to work with the D5 heads, but I'm wondering if I should forget it and take a less exotic path.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/06/17 05:00 PM

I've had several sets. I recently sold the last set that I had. They were NOS. If you decide to go that way I still have some plug tubes, intake gaskets and maybe some other small items.

I would suggest a less exotic path.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/06/17 06:03 PM

I went through a few sets of antique non street hemi heads until I smartened up and just ordered new Stage V's years ago. I found that repairing and reworking old Hemi heads was more expensive than just using new heads. JMHO.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/07/17 03:30 PM

I've had several sets. I recently sold the last set that I had. They were NOS. If you decide to go that way I still have some plug tubes, intake gaskets and maybe some other small items.

I would suggest a less exotic path.

thanks. I'll make my mind in the next days and if I follow my crazy idea and I might contact you to check what you'd have.

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
I went through a few sets of antique non street hemi heads until I smartened up and just ordered new Stage V's years ago. I found that repairing and reworking old Hemi heads was more expensive than just using new heads. JMHO.

the thing is that I'd like to build a pro stock car the way they were back than, or as close as I can. I've a 70's KB alu block, a pair of D5 heads and a set of old dominators.

and when that is done that might go in the 1969 dart that I've.

I'm not in a hurry to finish, I'm just starting it, and because the block is going to the machine shop for repair, I've to decide if I modify it for the D5 or go for another set of heads.

I've contacted the guys at rockerarms.com and they said that they might be able to build a set of rocker arms for me.

but yeah, might end up using some different heads, at least for now.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/07/17 05:48 PM

It's not just rocker arms. You need the whole rocker assembly. D-5 rockers can be found. You just have to look hard. There are a lot of other parts too. It would be a lot of work if you were in the US. Worse where you are.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/07/17 07:19 PM

It's not just rocker arms. You need the whole rocker assembly. D-5 rockers can be found. You just have to look hard. There are a lot of other parts too. It would be a lot of work if you were in the US. Worse where you are.

You convinced me, I'll put this idea aside, and probably go with a Stage V. I'll still keep hunting and collecting parts, maybe one day I'll be able to build it.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/07/17 09:50 PM

I am not sure of the age of your KB block and how the steam holes are placed. If they are they same as KB does it now you can tell Stage V that and they will drill the heads to that steam hole pattern and KB has Cometic head gaskets for that.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/08/17 03:50 PM

I am not sure of the age of your KB block and how the steam holes are placed. If they are they same as KB does it now you can tell Stage V that and they will drill the heads to that steam hole pattern and KB has Cometic head gaskets for that.

the block is from the mid 70's I believe, I'm not sure what are the differences to a more recent KB.

I was googling about the Stage V heads, and I've found that the have different models, like: replacement, and millennium.

I was checking where I could get those as well, I'm looking for a place where the can do some work on it as well.

do you guys have any preference, for any of those locations?
- Ray Barton
- Arruzza HP
- Modern Cylinder Head

I might get my rotating assembly from Ray Barton, mostly because if their camshaft and lifters.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/08/17 04:13 PM

Arruzza has closed. Millennium heads are too complicated for your application. Barton can make enough power without them. Lay a stock head gasket on your deck and see how the steam holes line up. If I were you I would buy all the stuff from Ray Barton.

Re: D5 Hemi head - 03/08/17 05:56 PM

By the way there is as good chance that a D-5 wouldn't even fit in the 69 Dart you are talking about. A D-5 is very wide.
Posted By: Gtxxjon

Re: D5 Hemi head - 01/21/22 10:50 AM

Wonderful info from knowledgeable hemi Guys!

The D5 was a disaster for Harry Weslake indeed.
He had the idea that the hemi needed a smaller ‘round port’ intake design.
History has proved this to be ‘very wrong’... fan

But I am very interested in the Weslake story and would hope to one day...
Piece together a complete D5 for my Weslake ‘Mopar’ collection.

I have some iron hemi parts from his old ‘Rye’ Workshop.
But all the D5 hemi parts were scattered ‘far and wide’?

Best wishes from Limey John Kent UK
© 2024 Moparts Forums