Moparts

Spectra fuel tanks?

Posted By: UCUDANT

Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 03:06 PM

Does anyone have any experience with these tanks? Are they any good? I dont want to have to worry about corrosion. http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 03:44 PM

Spectra is all I use 4 cars now and look at Rockauto for a good price if they stock the one you need
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 03:59 PM

I've installed 2 in both my Challengers with good results.

I found the best price for me was off E-bay with free shipping.

Fit and finish was excellent, I would buy another if needed.

Now I've heard the aftermarket sending units are a different story.....

Posted By: mopargem

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 04:10 PM

Spectra is all I use. They always fit well and have the correct nitern finish. There are some other brands that simply paint the tank silver.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By mopargem
Spectra is all I use. They always fit well and have the correct nitern finish. There are some other brands that simply paint the tank silver.

iagree X 4
Posted By: therocks

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 06:03 PM

Used them at work on newer stuff.Always worked good.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 06:21 PM

Add me to the list of satisfied purchasers. (2 of em). One was even from the infamous Frankie Mitchell (God rest his soul).
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By UCUDANT
Does anyone have any experience with these tanks? Are they any good? I dont want to have to worry about corrosion. http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

While I've used the Spectra tanks and sending units with success, and they fit nicely, I'd be more apt to try out the Stainless Steel tanks now offered thru Classic Ind, just about the same price to avoid corrosion issues

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/19/16 11:58 PM

Thanks to all, I checked Rock auto and they were 160 plus shipping, I had already been watching them on ebay over the last year so I went with what I had originally been after, $125 with free shipping ... and that's done.

Thanks again
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 12:06 AM

I have the Spectra (CR8CFI) with the in tank EFI pump and their sender. They all work as advertised.
Craig

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 12:19 AM

Thats good to know, I am upgrading to fuel injection and electing to install a new tank. I will be using Fi Tech's remote sump/pump system at least for now.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 01:01 AM

The real problem is gonna be finding a sender that reads accurate to go along with it
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 01:27 AM

I hope one day they will make the 76 77 F body tank.
Posted By: moparpro

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 01:34 AM

i had to adjust my fuel sending unit to read pretty close to accurate full levels,all sending units has to be adjusted to read full,if not everyone you buy will go way past full mark.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By moparpro
i had to adjust my fuel sending unit to read pretty close to accurate full levels,all sending units has to be adjusted to read full,if not everyone you buy will go way past full mark.

How bend the rod?

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 02:43 AM

I like em accurate on the low end so when the needle is dead on the E line I have just enough gas left to hit a station
Posted By: therocks

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/20/16 03:30 PM

I bought a 3/8 SS sender off Ebay like 10 years ago.It works almost as good as the OE one did in my 65.Its off a bit but not a lot.Just like the one was when I got the car in 69.Rocky
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/21/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By moparpro

How bend the rod?
Yes, bend the rod and possibly the stops at either end if needed...I usually hook up the sending unit under the car{out of the tank} and run it through it's range of motion and watch the fuel gauge..As other's have stated you want the low end to be somewhat accurate if you miss it make sure you have a few gallons in the tank at empty not run out before... twocents
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/21/16 09:54 PM

The sender on my Spectra tank reads 70.2 ohms on empty and 8.1 ohms on full. It is enough to send the gauge to Full and it read empty when installed. It holds 17.83 gallons when full. That includes the filler neck. The Mopar senders that I have seen over the years were 70 ohms on empty and 10 ohms on full so this one is pretty close to dead nuts.
I have only had two fills since install. I am trying to log how much it takes to fill it at different gauge levels. That will have to wait a few months to nicer Rocky Mountain weather.
Craig
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/22/16 12:42 AM

I have a Spectra tank in my Demon (It's a Ford Mustang/Falcon tank) and I used the supplied sending unit. Had to bend the tabs a bit to get it accurate with a Stewart Warner gas gauge,but not any problem.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/30/16 11:44 PM

Are the Spectra tanks stamped Spectra? I called them to see how to verify the tank was a legit Spectra tank and the woman had me hold and came back and said they are stamped (with Spectra). Mine is stamped but not "Spectra". I sent back the first tank I bought as it had the Spectra p/n but wasn't, I ate the shipping on it as the seller claimed other manufacturers use that same p/n flame .
The tank I received today was advertised as a Spectra but is a dull gray finish.

It doesn't have the "made in Canada" decal as this advertiser (who maybe I should have bought from) warns to look for

Attached picture Made in Canada.jpg

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 12:05 AM

You would probably be best to contact Spectra again and see if they can verify the tank. I wouldn't put it past an ebay seller to "infringe" on their reputation to boost sales whistling

Please keep us posted beer popcorn
Posted By: BDW

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 12:33 AM

RockAuto carries them, I'd think you could trust them.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 12:58 AM

Spectra says the tanks are stamped Spectra..... the decal isn't right, there's spray paint at the sender opening, notice the dull finish, it's like a bead blasted finish. It even has holes in the corners of the tank flange. At least the other brand tank had a plating

Attached picture Bogus tank 3.jpg
Attached picture hole in corner.jpg

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 01:46 AM

Cheap knockoff not Spectra. Thats fraud, you should raise hell.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 03:00 AM

How do I keep from having to pay return shipping on an obviously counterfeit part? I requested a return, the reason "the part does not seem authentic" well it's a fraud, but that wasn't a choice.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 05:55 AM

For the benefit of others here this picture will show what you should look for in a genuine Spectra brand tank

Attached picture tank 2.png

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 06:23 AM

you really need to contact Spectra and
#1 confirm it is not their tank.
#2 make them aware they are being scammed.
#3 ask them for reputable sources to buy their tanks from should this indeed be confirmed a scam.

They are a REPUTABLE comapny that needs to be aware of any BS short selling being based on their known Quality and reputation. I am sure they would be very interested if in fact that is not their product. Keep us posted twocents

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 06:43 AM

^this^ & it never crossed my mind that my (2) spectra tanks could of been knockoffs expecially since one of em came from Frankie Mitchell on his eBay site. Long gone years ago so no way to check but thanks for the heads up & I hope you take action & get some resolution with the least amt of effort on your part. But as I type this I coulda swore I saw a made in Canada on one of em but I dont remember if it was the same as the logo/pic posted further above.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By TJP
you really need to contact Spectra and
#1 confirm it is not their tank.
#2 make them aware they are being scammed.
#3 ask them for reputable sources to buy their tanks from should this indeed be confirmed a scam.

They are a REPUTABLE comapny that needs to be aware of any BS short selling being based on their known Quality and reputation. I am sure they would be very interested if in fact that is not their product. Keep us posted twocents

I did contact them, I was very sure when I opened the box it wasn't legit, I needed to confirm that and Spectra said their tanks are stamped.... confirmation!
I have sent them an email with all the pics, links and seller info already (Just hunting trolls on ebay)
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 07:49 PM

Do you have a link to the ebay auction? A lot of vendors will put a bunch of cross-over part numbers and manufacturers names as keywords, to get more folks looking at the product. You have to be very careful buying parts on ebay.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 12/31/16 07:59 PM

I prefer no to use this forum to out him but a private pm is different. He used this picture and advertised it as a Spectra Premium Ind CR8E Fuel Tank. You can even see the genuine made in Canada p/n tag in this photo and when compared to what he actually sent that I pictured previously it's obviously not as pictured.

Attached picture Ebay pic.jpg
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/02/17 01:49 AM

So all Spectra tanks are stamped?
I have an a body one that supposed to be a Spectra.
Going to take another look to see if its stamped

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/02/17 06:08 AM

That's what the woman at Spectra said

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/03/17 02:53 AM

That's what the woman at Spectra said

thanks

I have one that has the sticker no stamp must be a fake.
bummer

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/03/17 04:44 AM

If it has the sticker I'd think it was legit. She had to ask somebody else and didn't sound like she herself knew, this is why I called her back a second time to ask again. Both tanks I received so far didnt have the made in Canada tag.

Attached picture Made in Canada.jpg

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/03/17 10:30 PM

The seller has been in touch and stated that someone simply shipped the wrong tank and they will send the correct Tank out immediately and FED Ex will retrieve the previously sent tank.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/03/17 11:47 PM

That is the label my tank has on it

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/04/17 01:04 AM

The seller has been in touch and stated that someone simply shipped the wrong tank and they will send the correct Tank out immediately and FED Ex will retrieve the previously sent tank.
Good for you. We need for things to go our way on occaision

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/04/17 04:45 AM

HMM, I smells Bowelsheet as my old German boss would say, Somezvone eez tlying to Kover dere hintern, whistling

LOL, Hope it works out for you wink

beer popcorn
Posted By: A990

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/04/17 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By TJP

HMM, I smells Bowelsheet as my old German boss would say, Somezvone eez tlying to Kover dere hintern, whistling

LOL, Hope it works out for you wink

beer popcorn

Something is definitely rotten in Denmark. fart

Seems like this seller has a nifty little scam going. Wonder what the real sale price is on his knockoff inventory is, considering he can sell the real stuff so cheap work

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/05/17 03:16 AM

He had also said he'd knock off $65 off the $154 paid if I wanted to keep this tank, I did not want it.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/05/17 03:22 AM

how convenient..

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/06/17 02:21 AM

It's the 5th and I already have the new tank.....

Attached picture decal.jpg
Attached picture Made in Canada box.jpg
Attached picture Made in Canada decal.jpg

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/06/17 06:54 PM

just to confirm, I'm assuming this tank different from the previous two you received ?? popcorn

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/07/17 08:15 PM

Yes the quality of the area where the vents come through the tank appears to be much better, solder as apposed to one previous tank that actually appeared to have a black sealant on the inside of the tank sealing the tubes as the exited the tank. Also the areas where the vent tubes were affixed to the interior of the tank arent just spray painted over on the exterior surface, it's nicely finished like the entire tank.
Posted By: A990

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 02:02 AM

This event is a very good example for thoroughly inspecting parts as they arrive. Long term projects help this seller work his scam.

I'm so glad it all worked out for you ucudant.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 02:18 AM

Most people likely don't know the difference and they get away with scamming and are rarely called out. It would be nice if we knew who the vendor is so we can all watch out.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 02:34 AM

Most people likely don't know the difference and they get away with scamming and are rarely called out. It would be nice if we knew who the vendor is so we can all watch out.

I'm sure it was simply just a honest mistake.. rolleyes

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 10:05 PM

The first seller was cool, the tank looked pretty decent but had what looked like a black sealer (some kind of flux? Nahhhhh) and had painted areas where the ventes had been affixed.

The Spectra appears to use copper vent pipses which are soldered to the tank not disturbing the plating.

Heres the Spectra tank....

Attached picture Spectra vents.JPG
Attached picture Spectra 1.JPG
Attached picture Spectra 3.JPG
Attached picture Spectra ext.JPG

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 10:11 PM

Heres is the other tank and it doesn't appear to have a coating as it claims. It almost looks like the metal has a blasted texture. It's vent tubes are hopefully stainless steel and not a chromed tubing. The vents are brazed and then the exterior surfaces look to simply be painted to cover any discoloration of the metal. The fuel sender opening area is also painted as is the area where the vents exit.

Attached picture Toms finish.JPG
Attached picture Toms tank vents.JPG
Attached picture Toms tank brazed vent.JPG
Attached picture Toms vents exiting.JPG

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/08/17 11:09 PM

After all this I'm sure gonna pay more attention to my next one. thanks for the heads up.

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/22/17 03:22 AM

Here is an OEM original tank

Attached picture DSCF2165.JPG
Attached picture vent mount.jpg
Attached picture DSCF2163.JPG

Re: Spectra fuel tanks? - 01/22/17 03:51 AM

I cant remember if my (2) spectra tanks were stamped or had stickers or maybe neither but I do remember "spectra" in the transactions & not likely I will need another tank soon but the caveat is for sure locked in my head for future use. thank you!
© 2024 Moparts Forums