Moparts

1971 RR won't start, need advice!!!

Posted By: moparfury1970

1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/18/16 08:17 PM

Hey guys, so here's the scoop. Car was running strong just a couple days ago and I go to start it and it will not fire. I checked the ignition module, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, pickup, and ignition coil. All check good. I have an electric choke that barely opens since this problem occurred. I decided to swap the ignition coil out with a brand new one and when I did, the car started by ran rough with the electric choke not budging. I went under the dash and wiggled some wires around and it started again, but ran very rough. Shut the car off and tried starting again, nothing. My pal said it might be a bad connection underneath the dash. Any advice on what is going on? What should I be looking for? I have a strong suspicion it is some under the dash. By the way, all fuses checked good.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/18/16 10:38 PM

Check the bulkhead plug for burnt or corroded wires. That is one place where the problems occur.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/18/16 10:53 PM

what Stump said, clean the female terminals with a spare male terminal from your parts stash (or a NAPA 725147-99 cents) and the male ones with a small metal bristle brush then spray em with brake kleen to clean and dry em & some Koppercoat or similar to enhance conductivity/resist corrosion if available/desired but not required

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/18/16 11:25 PM

will try it guys thank you
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/18/16 11:28 PM

If you think it is a bad connection, you can just connect a jumper wire from the battery to the +12 volt side of the ballast resistor.

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
If you think it is a bad connection, you can just connect a jumper wire from the battery to the +12 volt side of the ballast resistor.

Seriously? Would that do it?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 01:52 AM

That would allow you to troubleshoot a bad connection. You would have to remove the jumper wire to kill the engine since it is by-passing the key power.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 01:55 AM

Quote:
Would that do it?
that would confirm (if it starts with that bypass) that all is good in the 'hood ex for an open from the ign2 terminal on the ign switch to/thru bulk & on to the coil positive primary (the brown wire circuit). If it starts with that then shut it off immediately cuz as you know the coil doesn't like full voltage for an extended period of time. Most all the time wires go bad at the terminals/connections so the bulkhead is a primary first place to work on. I would seperate the halves & jump across the main feed where the fusible link is then have a helper hold the key to start & see if the brown wire brass terminal on the back half is hot. this will tell you if the problem is inside (ign sw or its connector) or bulkhead or downstream from bulkhead to the coil. grab your meter

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 03:38 AM

thanks gents. I will update you with the progress!
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 10:21 AM

Ignition switch to dash harness connector. Bulkhead in the running as a candidate.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 05:11 PM

Yes, check the ignition switch wires and wires to the firewall. I had a pinched wire in my column and it melted a wire. Look for signs of melted tape or wiring.

Re: 1971 RR won't start, need advice!!! - 11/19/16 10:13 PM

cleaned the bulkhead head and car fired right up, now I'm just dealing it idling too low.
© 2024 Moparts Forums