Moparts

new gas sending unit ohms numbers

Posted By: moparpro

new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/25/16 05:01 PM

i bought a new one and checked with multimeter and empty side reads 73.6 and full side reads 8.2 consistently,should the full side read 10.2? thanks
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/25/16 06:34 PM

2 ohms difference won't be an issue. If it read 100 then you'd be in trouble.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/25/16 08:23 PM

How good is your VOM meter? Will it zero on ohms? If not add your zero error into the readings up
I thought all Mopar had 30 to 90 ohm fuel sending units confused shruggy
I'll dig out one of my FSM and read that part over again on trouble shooting the fuel gauge circuit.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/25/16 09:44 PM

Most Volt/Ohm meters have a 5% tolerance for its respective readings...

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 01:03 AM

when i installed my new one i had 75 and 13. i was and still is 1/4 of a tank off no matter how much f'ing around i did.

as Supercuda stated, 2 ohms makes no difference...

FYI- i got mine from Dixie Restoration and it's made in Mexico. we all had high hopes for these ones.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 05:38 AM

My experience is 8-10 ohms full, 80 ohms empty on original equipment. Very non linear as well due to the shape of the tank.
Craig
Posted By: bonefish

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 01:41 PM

how do you know if a ohm meter is bad.mine never seems to settle in to a fixed ohm.is there a fix for that or a good test,its didgital.my new gage is WAY off but my meter is acting weird so i cant even test it.
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 03:36 PM

What brand of meter? Fluke meters have a range button. If you take it out of auto range you can change the values to get rid of the 'bounce'

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By Nukechargerboy
What brand of meter? Fluke meters have a range button. If you take it out of auto range you can change the values to get rid of the 'bounce'
that could be the prob it doesnt have a range setting,just a ohm symbol.i put my old unit back in and it reads perfect on the gas gauge but i need the 1/2 inch unit for my combo.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 09:29 PM

I went thru 3 bad sending units. They are junk. I bought one from Kramers auto and it reads perfect.
http://www.kramerauto.com

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/26/16 09:38 PM

Digital VOM can drive me bonkers even after using Triplett analog VOM for years. I still have and use several of the older Triplet VOM that I use as well as several different Radio Shack brand small hand held cheaper digital VOM and one good Fluke 80 digital VOM.I still need to read and under stand the instruction for this meter work
If your going to test low ohm resistors in appliances and audio amplifiers use the best meter you can get up If your testing for general automotive use most of the other VOM will work fine for that application work twocents
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 01:21 AM

At be just me but I've found that you YOU cannot be touching the probes or wiring when checking this stuff. The better meters will actually read the resistance of your body! And yes the human body does have resistance and the ability to conduct electricity.

Few years back I was feeling some stray voltage in the wiring to one of my lifts. Couldn't measure it on a meter but it was there. Took a few days to figure out it only happened when I was touching the lift and the compressor was running found a wire in the compressor just barely touching ground.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 04:32 AM

One of the first test we had to do in basic direct current electricity class in college was to zero the VOM meter and measure our bodies resistance, I learned early the harder I pinch the probes the less resistance my body had shruggy I think they where teaching back then that our bodies are 80% liquid, women have less body resistance than men also shruggy
I'm trying to remember which Rock and Roll singer died when the cord to his microphone got worn and shorted out inside, he touch the mike to his lips and died from being electrocuted on the stage shock

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 12:57 PM

clue CB, you don't zero DMM and only a seriously old fart still has a VOM.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By 70sixpkRT
I went thru 3 bad sending units. They are junk. I bought one from Kramers auto and it reads perfect.
Went to their web site all they had was sheet metal shruggy
Posted By: dogdays

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 08:01 PM

Lay off of Cab, your ignorance is showing. A digital Multimeter IS a VOM. See quote below:

"A multimeter or a multitester, also known as a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter or Volt-Ohm-milliammeter), is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several measurement functions in one unit."

Straight from the internet bible of knowledge, Wikipedia.

There are some things where the analog indicator is better than digits. That's why Fluke, several years ago, added a bar graph that works in analog fashion.

As for me, I have a Fluke, the cheap Radio Shack pocket meter, the Freebee from Harbor Freight, and two GBs purchased from Walmart. Oh, and on my bench I have a pristine Simpson 260.

You can never have too many tools.

R.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By bonefish

it's in the catalog. $125 for 1/2 or 3/8 if i remember.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
Originally Posted By bonefish

it's in the catalog. $125 for 1/2 or 3/8 if i remember.

You need to call them and ask.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
Lay off of Cab, your ignorance is showing. A digital Multimeter IS a VOM. See quote below:

"A multimeter or a multitester, also known as a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter or Volt-Ohm-milliammeter), is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several measurement functions in one unit."

Straight from the internet bible of knowledge, Wikipedia.

Same source, your internet bible called Wikipedia says "Digital multimeters (DMM, DVOM) have a numeric display, and may also show a graphical bar representing the measured value.

VOM is analog, DVOM or DMM is digital.

Reading comprehension is key.

As for the Simpson 260, they were crap new, I used to have to repair and calibrate them and they were a giant bakelite encased POS. Thank god for Fluke and the DMM.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/27/16 11:15 PM

Most of the larger Simpson meters our cable splicers and C.O. techs. used where good stuff, they lasted a long time up I'm not sure of the model number now twenty yrs later confused grin
I bought several of the cheaper radio Shack DVOM to use as a trial in one of my work groups, the constantly changing ohm reading drove some of my outside plant techs. crazy when looking for grounds and shorts so I took them back later and made them go back to using their little analog Triplett meters, end of problems shruggy

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/29/16 02:51 AM

Simpson 260 and Triplett anolog meters will out last every one of us. Digitial meters with even the slightest over voltage condition will be toast in milliseconds. EMP that all the preppers are so worried about will render the digitals useless.
Posted By: TJP

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/29/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By denfireguy
Simpson 260 and Triplett anolog meters will out last every one of us.

iagree popcorn

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/30/16 12:51 AM

Ever get your 260 calibrated?

Drop it once and it needs calibration.

Drop it once and it needs a new case. Bakelite breaks real easy.

You realize that 260's will also be useless in an EMP event?

Still have electronics inside them.

I don't know what digital meters you use, but the good ones have auto ranging so unless you exceed the 600V or 1000V rating of the meter you shouldn't fry anything and if you do exceed those limits you shouldn't be messing with electricity to begin with.

I used to have to fix and calibrate 260's in the Navy. Two things I learned, a 260 was never in cal when I got it and the Flukes always were.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/30/16 02:20 AM

All of our VOM had leather cases,Simpson or Tripletts. I've seen more than one Simpson meter in its case get drop from 21 ft. above ground and not break the case shruggy Different work inviroiments(SP?) probably result in different results. Our guys had to fix the problem they were assigned to fix that day and usually had multiple tools to do the job, they took good care of their best tools shruggy
Posted By: patosmith

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/30/16 05:57 PM

Boy am I glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues finding a good sending unit.
The first one I got was an OER from Classic Industries and worked well but it needed to be adjusted since my gas gauge read about 1/4 tank off. I pulled it back out of the tank to adjust the float and I broke it.
The second one was from Summit. about $20 cheaper than the one from Classic Industries. That one was a POS. You can read my review on Summit. Summit refunded me 100% of my money when they got my review. I attached my Fluke meter to it and moved the float up and down and the resistance jumped all over the place then it just quit all together.
Third one is the OER from Classic Industries just like the first one. Now when my fuel gauge is on empty, I have about 3 gallons left.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/30/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By patosmith
Boy am I glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues finding a good sending unit.
The first one I got was an OER from Classic Industries and worked well but it needed to be adjusted since my gas gauge read about 1/4 tank off. I pulled it back out of the tank to adjust the float and I broke it.
The second one was from Summit. about $20 cheaper than the one from Classic Industries. That one was a POS. You can read my review on Summit. Summit refunded me 100% of my money when they got my review. I attached my Fluke meter to it and moved the float up and down and the resistance jumped all over the place then it just quit all together.
Third one is the OER from Classic Industries just like the first one. Now when my fuel gauge is on empty, I have about 3 gallons left.

the club you have joined is full of members with the same tale of woe! laugh2

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/30/16 09:12 PM

Is the needle above the E or right on it when it has 3 gallons left or below the E? If above or right on it that is good, if below you know you still have 3 gallons to get to a fuel stop work up
Either way you now know exactly what you have boogie grin
My airplane would empty the 30 gallon right tank when it read between 1/4 and empty shock That really rattled me the first time it did that puke Luckily the left tank was still full boogie
I filled both tanks when I landed, the right tank took 29.7 gallons, the gauge was accurate at full only runaway
I replace that sender ASAP and I had to calibrate (bend it down to sit on the bottom of the cell) the new one to get it accurate at empty per the FAA regulations work
Ain't hot rodding fun whistling grin
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/31/16 01:39 AM

Seems to me the aftermarket sending units I've seen don't have the same number of windings in the resistor coil as stock - lot's of wide gaps between the wiring vs an OE one where the wires are tightly packed together.

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/31/16 02:50 AM

You make a good point up A variable resistor is determined by the total resistance between the pickup and the gauge, the more windings the more total resistance work

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 10/31/16 04:24 PM

Wire wound rheostats are made usually of nichrome wire. Nichrome came in different resitances per length of wire. So different types will have different number of turns to achieve the proper total resistance. The number of turns are adjusted to achieve the desired total. The number of turns only effects the resolution as long as the total ohms is the same.
The main reason none of the newer senders are accurate is because years ago manufacturers decided Ford and Mopar senders were close enough to each other, they quit making them to match Mopar. So once again, we got tossed to the curb. The Tanks, Inc sender went to 5/8 of a tank when full. Just put in a Spectra tank. Should know this afternoon where it goes on full.
Craig

Re: new gas sending unit ohms numbers - 11/02/16 11:27 PM

Follow up: Just finished the installation of a Spectra CR8CFI fuel injection tank that came complete with the in tank fuel pump and senver gauge. Filled the tank and the gauge went to just above full. First after market sender that fully deflected the gauge I have run into. The gauge measured 8 ohms when full.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums