Moparts

BB Water Pump Housing

Posted By: dart4forte

BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 08:20 PM

Going to update the water pump on my BB Dart. Looking for a water pump housing that has the least casting restrictions. I have a 440 Source housing on it right now. Just looking down from the t-stat mount I can see an apparent restriction.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 08:40 PM

Does it cool the car and circulate the water?
Posted By: ngpSatellite

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 09:03 PM

I bought a 440 source WPH back in 2008ish... never could get my car to cool down... put a spring in my bottom hose, several fan blades and clutches, different WPs.. after 2 years I came across a post saying that the 440 Source HP aluminum WP Housing choked down to the size of your index finger inside the housing. Openings looked OEM and correct but it narrows down inside the housing... Bought a OEM iron WPH on ebay that came off a 68 hemi ... and my engine runs as cool as a cucumber ever since..... Beware of the 440 Source Aluminum WPH runaway
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 09:13 PM

I bought the ProForm one with the electric pump for my Dart, haven't tried it yet but a buddy races a'67 Coronet R/T ALOT and has no issues with his.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By ngpSatellite
I bought a 440 source WPH back in 2008ish... never could get my car to cool down... put a spring in my bottom hose, several fan blades and clutches, different WPs.. after 2 years I came across a post saying that the 440 Source HP aluminum WP Housing choked down to the size of your index finger inside the housing. Openings looked OEM and correct but it narrows down inside the housing... Bought a OEM iron WPH on ebay that came off a 68 hemi ... and my engine runs as cool as a cucumber ever since..... Beware of the 440 Source Aluminum WPH runaway

That issue has been fixed long ago.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/24/16 09:38 PM

Quote:
Going to update the water pump on my BB Dart.
is it running too hot now? around town or at speed?. recent problem? any recent part or adjustment changes preceding the onset? how hot? accurate gauge? More details please

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 12:22 AM

Been running hot, Have a 7 blade fan, 180 T stat, shroud and stock 3 core radiator. Not running lean and the timing is dead on. Used the 440 Source on the initial engine build. I have a Flowcooler pump coming so I'll try that. One change at a time
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 01:20 AM

alright that sounds good. always ran hot? how far into the schroud is the fan? runs hot all the time or just around town or just on the hiway?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 01:28 AM

NEVER had a problem with any O.E.M. housing as long as I've been at this stuff,seems all the problems are with the after market parts in most cases. twocents

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
alright that sounds good. always ran hot? how far into the schroud is the fan? runs hot all the time or just around town or just on the hiway?

Both, fan is part way into the shroud, pretty much stock placement given I'm using the stock spacer
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 05:17 AM

Here's a thread with some discussion and pics of BB water pump housings.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1999264
Posted By: ahy

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 01:53 PM

From what I have seen the water pump can make a difference but not so much the housing. Good idea to try the pump first.

Also, what is the condition of the original 3 core radiator? If not recently rodded out or re-cored that may well be your problem. It sounds like the rest of the system is in good shape.

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 09/25/16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By ahy
From what I have seen the water pump can make a difference but not so much the housing. Good idea to try the pump first.

Also, what is the condition of the original 3 core radiator? If not recently rodded out or re-cored that may well be your problem. It sounds like the rest of the system is in good shape.

After I replace the pump and that doesn't make a differance the next step is the radiator. When I got the car the seller said he had the radiator rodded out. Of course that was back in the late 90s. The car didn't run until I got it. It may have gotten something in there while sitting around.

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 07:59 PM

Well back to this project. I went ahead and changed out the pump and while everything was out I had the radiator addressed. It's an original 053 rad for a big block Dart. Ended up getting a 3 core high capacity core while keeping the original tanks.

I also decided to upgrade the stock WP pulley. Picked up this smaller pulley which will increased the speed of the water pump. Figured if it didn't work I could always go back to the stock pulley.

Attached picture Water Pump Pulley.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 08:11 PM

I use a mopar performance aluminum water pump housing on mine...no problems. I have the drop-in style Meziere electric water pump, a big 3.125" core Griffin radiator, and the electric fan and shroud setup from a '03 Viper. Works great.

Attached picture hemi 4.jpeg

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I use a mopar performance aluminum water pump housing on mine...no problems. I have the drop-in style Meziere electric water pump, a big 3.125" core Griffin radiator, and the electric fan and shroud setup from a '03 Viper. Works great.

Dart is a stock resto that I drive so I want to not deviate from stock too much. Everything I've done can be changed back relatively easy.

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 09:01 PM

The MP aluminum housing looks just like a stock one.

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 10:30 PM

I'm running the 440 Source housing with a Flowcooler pump

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/09/16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte

Right...and you were asking what to upgrade it with b/c of the small passage concerns with the 440 source housing. So I said the MP housing works great, doesn't have small passages, and looks stock.

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/10/16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By dart4forte

Right...and you were asking what to upgrade it with b/c of the small passage concerns with the 440 source housing. So I said the MP housing works great, doesn't have small passages, and looks stock.

Thanks
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/10/16 05:56 PM

There are still lots of 440 Source housings around for sale that have the restriction, so be careful that you are buying a new one or an old one that has been sitting on someone's shelf. I have used the MP housing with no issues. twocents
Posted By: moparx

Re: BB Water Pump Housing - 11/11/16 03:30 PM

do the source pumps have any id numbers or letters to identify them, or are they just plain castings ?
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums