Moparts

What is this wire for?

Posted By: jayyohe

What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 05:22 AM

So I'm battling starter heat soak issues. I've swapped starters - didn't help. I've added a heat shield to my starter - didn't help. I've wrapped header tube that passes by starter with fiberglass header wrap - didn't help. Decided to change my starter relay. Took a bunch of before pictures then got lazy and didn't finish project for at least a month and when I put everything back together I wasn't sure if this black wire was grounded under the starter relay or connected to the starter relay slug. I connected it to the slug and when I reconnected the battery I heard a click. Disconnected and then reconnected battery and heard another softer click. Everything seemed in order so tried to start car. It turns over but I can tell it's not getting any spark. So does anybody know what this wire is for and where it should get connected? 1971 Demon. Thanks everyone.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: buildanother

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 07:25 AM

Looks like some non factory wiring there. Will be wild guesses.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 08:21 AM

Looks like a coil wire but you didn't touch that.
Posted By: jughed

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By buildanother
Looks like some non factory wiring there. Will be wild guesses.

yep...no heat shrink tubing on factory wiring. May be just a new end piece.

Best way to find out where it goes is to trace it back to find the original wire color and look it up in a factory wiring diagram.
Posted By: jayyohe

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 03:12 PM

Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 04:09 PM

It's next to impossible to even GUESS what that non factory wire is for.

Did you pull the ignition module that is right there off ? if someone with half a brain wired it then black would be a GROUND wire , was it under the bolt holding the module on since you think you have no spark ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What is this wire for? - 08/31/16 05:49 PM

Quote:
So I'm battling starter heat soak issues. I've swapped starters - didn't help. I've added a heat shield to my starter - didn't help. I've wrapped header tube that passes by starter with fiberglass header wrap - didn't help.
get it good and hot. shut it off. pull & ground the coil wire or pull the ECU pentastar connector (work fast while it is still hot). Now see if it cranks
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: What is this wire for? - 09/01/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By jayyohe
Decided to change my starter relay. Took a bunch of before pictures then got lazy and didn't finish project for at least a month and when I put everything back together I wasn't sure if this black wire was grounded under the starter relay or connected to the starter relay slug.

So where are the before pictures??
© 2024 Moparts Forums