Moparts

water pump knock

Posted By: 66droptop

water pump knock - 08/21/16 11:53 PM

318 stock,started making a small rattling sound recently now it sounds like a knock Does not get faster with engine rpm.Took the Alt., water pump belt off and no noise.Could the water pump a knocking noise.Used a long screwdriver as a stethascope and could here no knock anywhere.Am a little confused....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 12:32 AM

got another alt you could sub for a quick test to try & pin it down. agreed, I'd sure think a noise from either one of them would be RPM dependent, especially the pump. EDIT first unplug a field wire on the alt & see if it gets quiet

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 01:29 AM

I took the alt.to a local parts store to test.While testing I heard no abnormal sound.It tested just fine...

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 01:38 AM

Is the field wire the one you can just pull off.The connector was loosly fitted so I put a new end on and the noise is more eratic but is still there.
Posted By: topside

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 02:46 AM

I've heard that before, and the water pump/fan shaft would be loose if wiggled. It was the bearing area eating itself up.
I once worked for a guy that had an old Ford truck, same racket that got pretty loud. He wouldn't fix it. When the water pump came apart, the noise stopped. But so did the cooling, not least of which was from the fan hitting the radiator.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 03:10 AM

if the sound doesnt change w engine rpm its not the engine or anything bolted to it
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 03:15 AM

Quote:
Is the field wire the one you can just pull off.
sometimes an alt electrical malfunction of a certain type (diode?) can make a squeal usually high pitched like a siren which certainly ain't the case here but it would take 3 seconds to pull it to elim that & swapping the alt would be easier than swapping a pump but the alt would do it at the parts house the same way (be making the noise) so but now the pump is looking guilty tho I would think the noise would increase with RPM
Posted By: ahy

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 03:52 AM

Or the fan clutch could be failing or even loose. With the belt off is there any unusual slop in the WP shaft or fan/clutch/spacer?

Re: water pump knock - 08/22/16 11:39 AM

Just a little play.It does not seem to excessive,but it could be enough..
© 2024 Moparts Forums