Moparts

Getting ready to change fuel pump

Posted By: xyxxjx

Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 09:39 AM

I've removed the alternator and getting ready to change the fuel pump and fuel filter. I was going to follow the "fuel pump replacement " part of this guide:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/fuel_pump_mechanical.htm

What's the best way to deal with the pushrod when I take off the pump, will it fall out? I have bought some grease that I'm hoping will keep the rod in place while installing the pump.

Attached is a pic of the pump.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IgeG75F_MIMTRyTFF5TWUyRDg/view?usp=drivesdk
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 12:35 PM

The rod won`t fall out. It can drop down and get in the way when reinstalling the pump. That`s why people put grease on it to get it to stay up while putting the pump back on.
Posted By: eric383

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 02:40 PM

While you have access to the push rod do yourself a favor and measure it to make sure it isn't worn. It should be 3.22" and reinstall the push rod in the same way it came out. The end that rides against the cam should go against the cam upon installation.

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
The rod won`t fall out. It can drop down and get in the way when reinstalling the pump. That`s why people put grease on it to get it to stay up while putting the pump back on.

Thanks, I can picture it now.

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By Wayne-o
While you have access to the push rod do yourself a favor and measure it to make sure it isn't worn. It should be 3.22" and reinstall the push rod in the same way it came out. The end that rides against the cam should go against the cam upon installation.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 10:21 PM

If you want to pull the rod out to measure you will need to remove the plug in the block for it to slide out. It can be a pain to get that plug out at times as they can be really tight.

Re: Getting ready to change fuel pump - 08/08/16 10:34 PM

The car only have 50k miles on it, I'll take the chance and leave it in there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums