Moparts

Drum Brake Self-Adjusters

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 08:08 PM

Years ago there used to be readily available kits to remove the self-adjusters and replace with a manual setup, I can't seem to find any listed anywhere. Anybody know of a source....this would be for 11" drums.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 08:19 PM

Couldn't you just remove the cable and lever?
Would the adjuster move on it's own?
Posted By: tman

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 08:36 PM

That's what I would do.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 08:59 PM

You then might want to change to the other style return spring that would rest against the star to hold it in place.

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 09:27 PM

Right-On!

There you go.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 09:33 PM

readily available meaning like the good ole days when you could just walk in and pull the package off the hook? long gone! but NAPA can get either style in a day or so.

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 10:27 PM

The manual adjuster wheel has a coarser tooth pitch and is better centered over adjusting slot. NAPA is where I used to get the kit but nowadays all you get is the "deer in the headlights" look from the counter person. That's why I hoped somebody had a kit number.

Attached picture Manual Adjuster.jpg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 11:18 PM

Try Rock Auto? They have been clearancing a lot of that old stuff

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 11:22 PM

I don't go to NAPA but the places I do go to seem to have some pretty sharp guy's, and gal's.
They seem to be able to find what I'm looking for.
'60's and '70's parts that are readily available are easy to find for me. shruggy

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 11:31 PM

several different styles. i use self adjusters front and back but i know what you mean about the difference
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/searc...eferer=savedveh

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 11:33 PM

Well, I wound up sourcing the individual parts from E-bay. NAPA has them but special order, so does Rockauto but shipping kills the deal....easier to click a button than run around chasing the parts. (especially when it's 105°F)

Adjuster assembly= Raybestos/Wagner H1500 NAPA 80562

Spring= Raybestos H403 NAPA 80503

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/28/16 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Well, I wound up sourcing the individual parts from E-bay. NAPA has them but special order, so does Rockauto but shipping kills the deal....easier to click a button than run around chasing the parts. (especially when it's 105°F)

Adjuster assembly= Raybestos/Wagner H1500 NAPA 80562

Spring= Raybestos H403 NAPA 80503

the NAPA here in town has an option to order parts online to have them delivered to them free of charge. they call me when they're in and i go over when i get a chance, pay and i'm done. there is usually a 10% discount for using their online feature.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 02:01 AM

I just grabbed some heavy springs of the right length & hooked em side to side horiontle above/over the star to keep pressure on it. No issues. You could even drill holes in the shoe web as needed for spot on fitment of em
Posted By: TJP

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 03:07 AM

John, I respect your contributions to this board especially in the TF area. bow
I will question why you want to eliminate the self adjusters shruggy

back in the day it was a common place thing to do, much like disabling an automatic choke and going back to a cable/manual choke. In my later years and better understanding of both systems, they work great when set up properly with the correct components. I believe that the changeover occurred due to the mechanics not understanding the "new" technology back in the day. They wanted to do what they were comfortable with, IE: mechanical adjustments.
Automatic or new "technology" was new and has to be understood by the person working on it.
With respect to brake system self adjusters I have probably rebuilt in excess of 500 systems in the last 10 years with no issues. So why change to manual ??? DUNNO??? just asking and thanks again for your contributions beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 05:54 AM

I'm wondering if the cable stretches over time to where it wont move the tang enough to catch the teeth
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 09:54 AM

On my Challanger found that rear brakes might need servicing, found self adjusters were no more, replaced with manual adjuster star wheels from a Chevy or some such,,,both were left side adjusters to boot. Bubba did it.

Car was a Super Stock E car from 1970 thru 1973. This is what they use to do to reduce drag a bit. Fronts were that way to be before converting to disc.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 02:39 PM

My kit came from Ehrenberg just because I got other stuff from him. The shoes came from NAPA and they had a kit as well

Attached picture 20140118_132455.jpg

Re: Drum Brake Self-Adjusters - 07/29/16 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By TJP
John, I respect your contributions to this board especially in the TF area. bow
I will question why you want to eliminate the self adjusters shruggy

I've had inconsistent performance from them in the past and I'm doing a rear end swap in my '57 that needs periodic manual adjustment in the front so.......
© 2024 Moparts Forums