Moparts

Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum

Posted By: SlickRS23

Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 09:06 AM

Was wondering if anybody here has ever used either of these tools to remove and install the snap ring on the front drum in a 727 trans.
With trans shops charging $15 to $20 just to remove or install, and having to leave it with them 'til the next day, these kind of look like they might work.
I tried C-Clamps and all I ever got was a bent retainer.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

tool #1

Tool#2
Posted By: stickman

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 01:37 PM

Both look like they would work fine.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 02:34 PM

I made mine with a piece of pipe and use a press. If I going to buy one of the two you posted it would be #1.
Posted By: Scully

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 03:25 PM

I notched a piston skirt and put it on the press. Back in the 70s I had 2 people push down with hammer handles while I removed the clip. Those tools would be nice for remote location such as at the track.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 04:48 PM

Here is a piece a friend out together to compress that assembly.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/phpqzpimmam-jpg.1714615687/
Posted By: dvw

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 05:54 PM

Two equal length sockets in a vice and either a C-clamp or C-Clamp style vice-grips as the "3rd leg". Compress the lower part of the retainer in the vice using the two sockets as spacer between the vice jaw and the retainer. Compress the other side of the retainer with the clamp. Do it all slowly a little at a time. Then remove the snap ring. It's easier with an extra set of hands during reassembly but it can be done by yourself if your patient.
I rebuilt many a trans this way when i didn't have a tool.
Doug
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/24/16 06:46 PM

Here's the home made tool I've been using for 40+ years.

Attached picture Spring depressor.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By SlickRS23
Was wondering if anybody here has ever used either of these tools to remove and install the snap ring on the front drum in a 727 trans.
With trans shops charging $15 to $20 just to remove or install, and having to leave it with them 'til the next day, these kind of look like they might work.
I tried C-Clamps and all I ever got was a bent retainer.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

tool #1

Tool#2

Either one will work, I would go with number 2 . I have the factory miller tool, but I like John K's rendition.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 01:38 AM

wow, you guys that fabricate home made tools are good. up
Shows you can use your noodle, in thinking things out.

I bought this tool, back in the late 1970's when i first started doing transmissions.
Don't remember who made it, or where i purchased it from.
But on the handle it's called a SnaP Press.
Probably went obsolete decades ago.

Attached picture Trans. Tool 001 (Small).JPG
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 01:47 AM

I don't remember what I used on my last 727 build, but it was not tool listed here I can say that, except maybe a C clamp. But that was back in 94, so my memory is not there.

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 03:27 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I like John Kunkel's design as the sides extend along the side of the retainer, possibly eliminating side movement and sliding off.
Hemi71x's snap press looks like it also has the same design.
I think I'll buy the tool #1.
Maybe I can turn up a plug to fit the I.D. of the drum to help locate the screw and eliminate side movement if that becomes a problem.
again, Thanks for the replies and ideas, Jeff
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 03:49 AM

I always use c-clamps on all 904s and 727s I build. I've NEVER had a bent retainer
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 04:22 AM

Was fortunate to acquire the original Miller tool years ago.

Attached picture P7240012.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 09:20 AM

Mine is sorta like the one "62maxwgn" posted but its a little more open for more room to get at the snap ring. I bought it about 30 years ago from the Snap-On tool man. You dont need a press with it as I just clamp the bottom of the tool in a vise and then run the threaded bolt down to compress the spring. Its all I have used for 30 years. Ron
Posted By: crlush

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 03:28 PM

I just used 3 c clamps and no bent retainer.

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 04:28 PM

I was doing a powerglide once and found a PVC coupling that was the right diameter and notched it so I could get to the snap ring and used it in a press , but a big c lamp would have also worked.
Posted By: Moparlar

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 05:18 PM

I would go with #1 since the compression screw is on the top and it looks lie you could clamp the bottom in a bench vise to hold it for you
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 06:19 PM

Easiest/fastest to use is the one like hemi71x shows - I bought one like that, along with a foot operated one many years ago when a local shop closed. Also got a small box of assorted ones like the O/P posted as tool#1.

Google T-0158-SP and you will find several companies that sell the one that hemi71x shows, starting at about $135 on e-bay. Google T-0171 for the foot press I mentioned - they seem to start about $400.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

Got one of those off ebay 12 yrs ago...for 50 bucks.

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 07:47 PM

I have that tool, I bought it directly from Miller around 2002, it is also used to press the rear sprag outer race into the case.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 07:58 PM

I made one that is sort of like tool #1 out of scrap I had laying around.
I think the base was some 2" square tube 1/2" all thread as the post.
The top is also square tubing, maybe 1-1/4" or 1-1/2"? with a hole on each end, then some round tubes (to press the retainer down) that were put into the holes of the square tube and welded so they can't move. The footprint of the tubes pressing on the retainer is fairly small, like what would happen with "C" clamps, but worked that way. I "improved" it by welding some curved pipe sections to the tubes.

Large "C" clamps will work too, but you need a flat plate on the bottom
Posted By: moparts

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 08:03 PM

Yes, use to use half of a muffler clamp and the press

Then made a tool using the same muffler clamp and a center bolt and some washers, lot like the factory tool.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/25/16 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By 70AARcuda

Got one of those off ebay 12 yrs ago...for 50 bucks.

Wow,that Miller Tool looked mighty familiar, once i saw a picture of it.
Went and opened up a couple of storage containers, and come to find, i have one of them, too.
Also used to collect, buy, Miller Tools, back in the old days.
This one of mine has to be NOS, as i never used it, as i have the other tool, that i used all the time.

Attached picture Miller trans tool 001 (Small).JPG
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/26/16 12:29 AM

Mine, had it awhile

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Mine, had it awhile

I have this one above and it works really well. Picked it up at carlisle 10+ years ago.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 01:17 PM

Here's mine.
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 01:22 PM

cOOL TOOLS!

Curious though, how many of you reuse the snap rings? Not saying its bad or good, just when you take the time to remove a tranny, and rebuild/repair, do you guys reuse snap rings? arent they fairly cheap to just buy new?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 02:00 PM

How many snap ring failures have you seen?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By Adam71Charger
cOOL TOOLS!

Curious though, how many of you reuse the snap rings? Not saying its bad or good, just when you take the time to remove a tranny, and rebuild/repair, do you guys reuse snap rings? arent they fairly cheap to just buy new?

As far as re using,sometimes yes and sometimes no.The main reason to change the snap ring is to get the correct clearance between the pressure plate and snap ring if you change disc's.

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 03:24 PM

cOOL TOOLS!

it all depends on which they are and how they look. The one being talked about in this thread using the tools shown to aid their removal don't see a lot of abuse, and very little pressures, so there is no reason to change it unless it is damaged.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 04:16 PM

cOOL TOOLS!

If you use the proper tool to depress the clutch spring retainer, it makes it much easier to remove the snapring.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 05:43 PM

Mine, had it awhile

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/248867/filename/image.jpeg

Same one in my garage.
It gets the job done.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
Mine, had it awhile

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/248867/filename/image.jpeg

Same one in my garage.
It gets the job done.

Works on other trans beside mopar.
As far as changing snap ring, the ring could brake and the tangs on the retainer will hold it anyway, never seen a reason to change one in all my years.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/28/16 08:12 PM

cOOL TOOLS!

The snap rings on the front clutch spring retainers can't pop off when correctly installed, there are tabs on the retainer to keep the snap ring in place and I've never seen one break.

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/31/16 03:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I learned a lot.
I ended up purchasing this one:

Tool #1

For $23.00 shipped it actually worked very well for a Chinese tool.
After I deburred the bottoms of the legs so all 4 would sit flush, Cleaned up the threads on the ends of the rod and cleaned up the threads in the base, it worked very well.
I don,t have a clue what the wing nut is for as I used a wrench.
Just thought I would share my results with you guys.
Thanks, Jeff

Re: Tools to remove snap ring on 727 clutch drum - 07/31/16 03:39 AM

cOOL TOOLS!

Hanging around the maintenance guys at work, one guy told me that a snap ring like this should fit snug in the groove.
The I.D. of the snap ring is slightly smaller then the O.D. it sits on.
Before I assembled my drum I test fit the snap ring. It should turn by hand with a slight resistance. If it spins freely or moves side to side or is bent, it should be replaced.
Same with the snap rings on the output shaft for the governor and bearing and the selective thickness snap ring on the front of the output shaft.
Jeff
© 2024 Moparts Forums