Moparts

Atomic twin disc clutch

Posted By: Gerald l

Atomic twin disc clutch - 07/19/16 10:02 PM

Before I pull the trigger on the McLeod twin disc does anyone have experience with American powertrain.. specifically the atomic dual twin clutch?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Atomic twin disc clutch - 07/19/16 10:19 PM

They sent me one and it was the biggest POS I had seen in a while. The floter discs wouldn't even fit onto the transmission. Because I live in the same state, I returned it in person and found what I would describe as a fly by night hole in the wall operation. Your results may vary.
Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: Atomic twin disc clutch - 07/19/16 10:38 PM

I ran an american power train clutch. It was a Kevlar single disc. It was a POS and they did not do anything regarding warranty. After 200 miles. The pedal was so hard I could not even drive it in traffic.

I replaced it with an Mcleod RST twin disc and had an issue with it slipping after 1500 miles. I sent it back for warranty and they said something was wrong with the disc. They warrantied the clutch and I upgraded to the RXT. Works great now. A little clutch chatter, but it holds great. 4100lbs car with 600hp 650 torque.

The Twin disc are expensive, have you looked at the Centerforce dual friction?
Posted By: Gerald l

Re: Atomic twin disc clutch - 07/20/16 01:11 AM

I have looked at the centerforce. Kind of have mixed reviews on both. The clutch is going behind a 470 stroker in a 68 roadrunner. I read the centerforce is cutting it kind of close with that amount of torque in that heavy of a vehicle and that a twin disc is recommended. I don't plan on hitting the track with it.. Just want to make sure I spend money on something that'll last.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Atomic twin disc clutch - 07/20/16 10:54 PM

CF twin in my 600 Horse 440.Been in 15 years.Still works great and never slips.Been to the track and beat on the street.Used to run McCleods till this.Great clutch.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums