Moparts

[u][b]Can You Identify My Driveshaft(s)?[/b][/u]

Posted By: 63MaxWedge

[u][b]Can You Identify My Driveshaft(s)?[/b][/u] - 02/08/09 01:54 AM

My '63 Belvedere has a 2-piece driveshaft with no center bearing. I've been trying to identify what it is, what vehicle it came from.

A large tubular shaft connects to the trans yoke, and runs about 3/4 the way back to the rear. At that point, the splined nose of a short, smaller dia. shaft slides into the forward one. This short shaft attaches normally to the pinion yoke.

What is this? Is it good, bad, correct/wrong for the car, etc. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thanks
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: [u][b]Can You Identify My Driveshaft(s)?[/b][/u] - 02/08/09 02:44 AM

it sounds like some type of trunyon conversion that was put in backwards,the sliding part usually goes in the tranny ,at leest on the ones ive seen and used.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: [u][b]Can You Identify My Driveshaft(s)?[/b][/u] - 02/08/09 02:05 PM

DO you have conventional U joints on the front and rear of the shaft?

A 63 Belvedere should have the ball and trunion joint on the transmission end of the shaft. This is a good joint but a bit troublesome to work with, and find replacements, many have been swapped out to later U joints. Of course that requires a different transmission, with a slip yoke tailshaft. Some people have been able to eliminate the trunion joint by using Dodge truck driveshaft parts. I am going to guess thats whats in your car.

Ball and trunion pic:

Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: [u][b]Can You Identify My Driveshaft(s)?[/b][/u] - 02/08/09 02:13 PM

Here is a what a conversion jint looks like:

Another moparts member had that shaft custom made, but the dodge truck parts look similiar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums