Moparts

Botched helicoil job

Posted By: KingTuna

Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 06:42 PM

Well, I figured I would give everyone a good laugh today. I had a stud stripped out on my Torker, and decided I would fix it this weekend so I can get her cruising again before I fool with my disc brake swap. Well, needless to say, I screwed the pooch. When I was drilling out the hole, it got just a little bit cockeyed and now the carb won't fit on the intake . Just lovely. I did get lucky though and picked up a Performer off Summit for 25 bucks off. Anyway, my question is, what to do now about the Torker? Is there a way to fix this that is worthwhile, or do I try to unload it for cheap and let someone with more knowledge than me fix it?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 06:45 PM

Keensert and a drill press so you can drill straight.

http://www.acmeindustrial.com/insert_comparison.html
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 06:46 PM

Assuming enough meat, remove the coil and install a threadsert
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 06:53 PM

Enlarge the hole in the carb so the stud will slide through work twocents

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 06:57 PM

I have used this

https://www.waresdirect.com/products/com...R4ANBoC2efw_wcB

to fill holes, redrill and rehelicoil aluminum castings when I used to overhaul satellite antennas in the Navy.

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 07:45 PM

Cab, I thought about this but when I started checking it would require removing more material from my new carb than I am comfortable with. Luckily, I was planning on upgrading the intake in the future so it'll be alright.

I will admit, I should have used a drill press, but I was being lazy and trying to take short cuts. I didn't want to have to pull the intake, take it to a friends house 20 minutes away(I don't have a drill press), and then re-assemble and so forth. Lesson learned.

Supercuda, thank you for both of those ideas. I wish I would have known about the keenserts, I probably would have tried those instead of helicoil.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 08:25 PM

run three screws?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 08:27 PM

You can buy oversized threaded inserts, but the kits are expensive. I'd just remove the insert and tig the hole closed, then re-drill and tap.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 09:30 PM

Search Durafix. I've used it to repair machined parts that I've had many hours into but made a small mistake. It takes a little practice but it's great for filling holes in aluminum. You can actually fill and then add the correct screw and unscrew it once it cools. There are some videos on their website and YouTube.

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
You can buy oversized threaded inserts, but the kits are expensive.

Not as expensive as a tig welder.

$2.53 each at Fastenal, uses 1/2-13 tap, common size tap there.

Of course, I doubt an intake has the meat for that big a hole in the carb mounting area.

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 09:36 PM

Anyone want to buy a Torker with a botched helicoi?

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/06/16 10:58 PM

I would devcon the hole shut, drill and retap it. Good to go.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/07/16 04:33 AM

See if you can find an aluminum bolt, drill/tap the screwed up hole oversize, red lock tight it in ,cut off flush and redrill/tap straight this time. I have did it and it worked for me.

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/07/16 02:45 PM

Thank you, I'll look into that. I have the intake off now so repairs will be much easier and a drill press will definitely be used this time.
Posted By: feets

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/08/16 12:43 AM

A common repair for that kind of thing involves drilling it out, pressing in a tight fitting pin, cutting it flat, and making a new hole.

Since I don't think you have that capacity (most people don't) there is an easy alternative.

If you can go slow, easy, and accurately on a real drill press then drill it out, stuff a Time-sert Big Sert in the hole, and call it done. They were designed for pulled out helicoils and such. I have some but they're in metric sizes.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/08/16 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
See if you can find an aluminum bolt, drill/tap the screwed up hole oversize, red lock tight it in ,cut off flush and redrill/tap straight this time. I have did it and it worked for me.

Winner right here.

Re: Botched helicoil job - 07/08/16 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I got the Performer installed last night, so this weekend I'll see if I can fix my screw up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums