Moparts

Griffin Radiators- any feedback?

Posted By: NHCharger

Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/24/16 04:13 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-Radiator-Electric-Fans-Mopar-A-B-E-Body-Auto-Trans-CU-70038-/351760223706?fits=Year%3A1969%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ACharger%7CSubmodel%3ADaytona%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A7.2L&hash=item51e68b0dda:g:Y1cAAOSwvg9XYZoJ&vxp=mtr

Need to get a new radiator for my Daytona clone. since nothing is original on the car was wondering if a set up like this would keep the car cooler than a stock set up.
Any feedback on this unit would be much appreciated.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/24/16 05:29 AM

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details5....;key_id=5-70004

They make a Direct fit downflow kit. It's about $1,000.
The Radiator without fans is part 5-70004.
Search the web for prices, I bought the radiator only off Amazon in Aug 2015 for $578.15. Currently they are showing $672.22 from Summit Racing?

The suspension is still apart on the car, so I can't say how it will cool.
I am using two 13" low profile Spal cooling fans without a shroud.
The two fans cover the majority of the radiator, so I will see how they work.

The CU-70038 is for a Chrysler 300 and it is 22.5" x 19"

The CU-70004 is a 25.5" wide.

Griffins' web page:
http://www.griffinrad.com/exact_fit.php?tid=2

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/24/16 04:15 PM

Here's my ideas on radiators..... Two 1" tubes are better than Four 1/2" tubes, especially when you might have an airflow issue through the grill (and a Daytona almost doesn't have a grill), so that's thumbs up for Griffin.

The negative about Griffins in my opinion is a)cost & b)epoxy joining tubes to headers. Tubes that are brazed to the headers instead of epoxied will transfer heat better, that's why I don't like Griffins. However, if you have a small leak at the tube/header junction, you can fix a Griffin with JB Weld if you had too.

Bottom line... I suggest you see if there's a similar kit from another manufacturer with brazed tubes, but honestly, that Griffin kit looks pretty good. You definitely want a fan shroud that covers the whole radiator & an electric fan temperature controller and that price is a good one. Cross-flow radiators (like Griffin) are less prone to overheating when they're a "little bit low" on coolant, but sometimes you have to get creative with radiator hoses since factory Mopars are top/bottom flow radiators.
Posted By: topside

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/24/16 08:59 PM

I've had a Griffin in my drag car for 20+ years, no problems.
Granted, it doesn't see street use, but it has one pretty hard landing from a wheelstand on it some years back, haha.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/24/16 10:52 PM

I think the radiators are brazed, not epoxy?
The "CU" kit with fans and shroud is a decent deal if it clears your front accessories.
I went with different fans trying to get thinner package because the Tru-track system moves the pulleys closer to the radiator.

I had a Chapman 4-core radiator and it worked good till I installed the A/C.
The 4-core was really deep and I think airflow through it was the major issue for me. The thinner Griffin should allow more airflow, plus I think the new fans will pull more air than the Ford Contour fan assembly.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 02:00 AM

who started the rumour that Griffin Radiator tubes are held together with epoxy?
they are good quality for the money.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By can.al
who started the rumour that Griffin Radiator tubes are held together with epoxy?

Who? Well, Griffin themselves,cause they are. Not saying good or bad (I think pros and cons), but facts are facts, not myths.

http://www.griffinrad.com/epoxy_faq.cfm
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By can.al

Who? Well, Griffin themselves,cause they are. Not saying good or bad (I think pros and cons), but facts are facts, not myths.

http://www.griffinrad.com/epoxy_faq.cfm

X2

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 01:09 PM

i asked their tech about the epoxy a few years ago and was told they are furnace brazed and
the epoxy was a secondary safeguard?
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 02:31 PM

Extremely happy with my "26 Direct Fit Griffin in my '69 Charger. It's paired with a dual fan setup from Flexalite. Runs cool as a cucumber, even in summer heat with the AC on.
You could even mount a stock shroud to it and run a clutch fan also.

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 04:34 PM

Current website says Griffin rad tubes are vacuum brazed and as before epoxy
is added as a secondary safeguard to add strength
Posted By: NHCharger

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/25/16 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I measured this morning and I don't have enough room for this unit. I'll have to touch base with Griffin
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/26/16 05:05 PM

Give them a call. I bought the radiator for my race car directly from Griffin. The radiator is good quality and works just fine. What impressed me the most was the sales/customer service I received. We had several conversation and e-mails. Michele provided me with all the information (specs, drawings etc) I requested. It was a good buying experience.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Griffin Radiators- any feedback? - 06/27/16 08:43 PM

Other than being expensive, I have no complaints about my Griffin radiator. Made a huge difference in cooling on the street in my cuda.
© 2024 Moparts Forums