Moparts

Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings

Posted By: loco340cuda

Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/23/16 08:58 PM

I'm in the process of redoing the 340 in my 70 Cuda and I thought it would be cool when I replaced all the hoses to go with the original style hose clamp/rings.

Well, never having dealt with these before (I have only used the modern screw type hose clamps) I have quickly come to find out they are a real pain in the a** to try to put on. I have tried using channel lock pliers to try to put these things on and it just is not working.

Is there a special tool that you use to get these things on and off?

Here is a picture of the hose clamp/rings that I am talking about.

-Thanks

Attached picture clips.jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/23/16 09:02 PM

Corbin clamp pliers like these...
https://www.zoro.com/gearwrench-corbin-s...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/23/16 11:11 PM

Napa sells KD corbin hose clamp pliers too.
Posted By: BB14404SPD

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/23/16 11:38 PM

http://www.sears.com/otc-2-pc-hose-clamp...mp;blockType=G4

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-swivel-ja...mp;blockType=G1

Available at Sears..
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 01:48 AM

Even with proper Corbin tool, can be a bit challenging on some of the hoses.

On my E Body 440, find on the thermostat housing clamp was better to first place the clamp on the housing, then slip the hose into position, then use the tool to expand the clamp over the hose into its proper position. Some tools will not expand clamp enough to get the clamp over the ridge on the housing.

Be careful at the heater end, as these fittings are prone to break off from heater if you have to wrestle too hard to get the hose on and the clamp in position. A shot of dishwashing soap or Wd 40 can help in sliding a brand new hose into position.

Be certain to position them such that you do not end up slicing your forearm or wrist while working on the engine. These pointy edges can be quite sharp and to catch your wrist is something you won't soon forget. I have not yet had the pleasure but every time I look at these clamps keeps me wary.
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 02:19 AM

I dont know how many knuckles I have busted with the damn things...

But the screw on clamps look like hell....
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By Car Nut
Napa sells KD corbin hose clamp pliers too.

X2 on the KD's. They work well. Two different V cuts that swivel and a good locking mechanism.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 02:39 AM

You might take a pair of regular pliers & file 2 opposite grooves in the serrated flats at the end. Might save you time/money rather than the corbins
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 03:11 AM

So the channel locks and pliers I use are the wrong tool? rolleyes

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 03:13 AM

correct, as they just dont secure the ends enough once you compress em/plus bad angle

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
correct, as they just dont secure the ends enough once you compress em/plus bad angle

Been getting by without them for decades...

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By Ramrod39

Been getting by with them for decades...
me too for one or two of em but if I had to do the (14) in the pic I would mod some pliers or get the corbin
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 04:13 AM

Post deleted
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 04:24 AM

I have the KD tool, have had it for a long long time, carry it in my truck tool pouch for the fuel filter replacement. Tips swivel to all positions which makes tight areas easy.

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 06:33 AM

Been getting by with them for decades...
me too for one or two of em but if I had to do the (14) in the pic I would mod some pliers or get the corbin

Yeah, if was using those clamps, having the proper tool would make sense. Fact is though, I usually take those clamps off and replace them with worm gear clamps. I just like them better...

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 06:39 AM

agreed as worm clamps are so common that I am used to em (be sure to get quality ones/no cheapies). I've heard way back that corbins are good cuz they keep a constant tension but I'm sure the worm clamps do to
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 06:51 AM

Yeah.. my worm gear clamps when they leak are always at the worm gear. corbin clamps have a better seal, but are a PITA.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By DARTH V8Я
Yeah.. my worm gear clamps when they leak are always at the worm gear. corbin clamps have a better seal, but are a PITA.

The weak point on worm gears.. You can find better screw type clamps at hydraulic shops that work well....
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 05:15 PM

As pointed out above (in the SK flavor) there are the correct pliers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Tools-Hose-Clamp-Slip-Joint-Pliers-HCP48BP-/191901374951

The others are universal and almost dangerous for this type of application (good way to get hurt IMO).

Also, you might look into getting clamps that are one size smaller than what comes in the resto kits. I had trouble with this style of clamp leaking due to the newer style hoses being a bit thinner than the originals. The main problem was at the heater hose connections.
Posted By: BB14404SPD

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 11:10 PM

I use these also:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-3-4-in-pliers-slip-joint/p-00945378000P
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/24/16 11:35 PM

You might take a pair of regular pliers & file 2 opposite grooves in the serrated flats at the end. Might save you time/money rather than the corbins

I've got a factory-made tool like that. Don't know the manufacturer. There are no serrations in the jaws, just grooves to hold the clamp.
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/25/16 01:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I went to NAPA and bought their tool. It is nice and says Made in USA. What I like about it is that it locks so once you press the straight ends of the hose clamp together with the tool it locks in place and will hold it until you release the tension with a lever on the tool.

Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/25/16 02:13 AM

Be certain to wear safety glasses and nothing of value about. These rings when compressed will at times beat to their own drummer.

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/25/16 02:23 AM

Quote:
The weak point on worm gears.. You can find better screw type clamps at hydraulic shops that work well....
Noted! I need some better ones for the braided steel fuel lines as I need the extra clamping for the barbed fittings as they ain't really the correct ones for this app

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/25/16 11:00 PM

Been getting by without them for decades...

It's a funny world out there. The morning after posting this I stopped at a yard sale. What was waiting for me there? Yep, a proper set of locking hose clamp pliers. Old, but of good quality and in good condition. They are in my toolbox now and I'm $2 lighter in the wallet.

I figure they came to me because I posted that I did not need them.

I don't need to win the lottery... grin luck

Re: Tool for Hose Clamps/Rings - 06/25/16 11:21 PM

Karma brother!
© 2024 Moparts Forums