Moparts

Firm Feel or Steer and Gear

Posted By: 7812845

Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/22/16 06:32 PM

Looking for info on which one is better or other personal preferences. Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/22/16 07:52 PM

I think only one of those two (FF) has a fill plug & I would want that. we had a 16:1 FF manual box on the stock car, did OK no issues (no slop/no leakage) but they are a pretty trouble free item but pricey (~$500 iirc)
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/22/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By 7812845

I've done Steer n Gear for several projects, each time hoping for better results, often paying much more, basically they suck...Firm Feel is a much better product/service simply put, I'd recommend going directly to a FF Stage 3 PS box
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/23/16 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By 7812845

I've done Steer n Gear for several projects, each time hoping for better results, often paying much more, basically they suck...Firm Feel is a much better product/service simply put, I'd recommend going directly to a FF Stage 3 PS box

Sadly this has been my experience as well.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/23/16 08:33 PM

Go with a Borgeson box.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143

http://www.bergmanautocraft.com/products.php?cat=1
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/23/16 09:08 PM

I went with Firm Feel for all my front needs on my 69RR

No Issues
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/23/16 10:03 PM

I second this. Not trying to knock FF as I have a lot of their parts on my car, but there is only so much you can do with a factory box. Borgeson all the way. It's like driving a brand new car.
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 12:32 AM

Borgeson charging friggin $200 just for a coupler is what keeps turning me away from that setup.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 12:54 AM

Borgeson also has some fitment issues as well.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 01:12 AM

Just had steer and gear do a power box to their "firm" setup.
Box is awesome! No leaks, fast service and car drives like a new car and I'm on bias ply tires!
Dropped my original box with them at last years Nats and it was at my door two weeks later.
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 02:42 AM

I used steer and gear. They make good products. Havent had much use on my unit in my 71 b, since its been continually under construction, but they make good units. I was upset when I received my ps pump back from them... they didnt let the paint cure and when I got it back, the plastic they packaged it in was welded to the paint... what a mess, and it looked like crap. They did send my free hydraulic lines for free to make it right, but if I ever need service in the future, Ill go with Firm Feel. Ive bought several of there products and the customer service is really great. The main dude is awesome to talk to and deal with, and their products are top notch.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Borgeson also has some fitment issues as well.
First I've heard of it, what car?
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 01:35 PM

I have had 3 done from Firm Feel with no issues. Get the Stage 3 box.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 04:51 PM

I've had 3 upgraded boxes from Firm Feel & their service is 2nd to none.
When I did a Hemi conversion on my Challenger yrs ago, there was a clearance issue, so I sent pics to Dick & he shaved enough off the box
to fit perfectly. My bro's stage 3 box on his 69 Charger (Hemi), is
super responsive & tight. I'd recommend a stage 2 or 3 upgrade. Haven't bought from steer & gear, but customer service from firm feel is great.
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 07:06 PM

I don't have any experience with Steer & Gear, but I bought several parts from Firm Feel. Their customer service and quality were excellent.

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/24/16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By Reggie
I don't have any experience with Steer & Gear, but I bought several parts from Firm Feel. Their customer service and quality were excellent.

I call Steer and Gear, "steer clear", out of the 5 boxes I had them do, 3 were OK, the 4th leaked like a sieve from day one, the last (5th) one broke the selector shaft in half after a few spirited road course laps

I've bought 3 Firm Feel boxes to date for my cars and a customers car, the difference between the S&G and FF boxes as far as feel/response is night and day, I actually spent more for the S&G boxes than the FF boxes, I usually go stage 3 on the FF, but my next build I'll try their stage 4...the S&G boxes just can't compare performance wise to the FF

As far as customer service, both companies were fine, but I'd rather have a quality product rather than price or customer service be my defining factors

Mike
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/25/16 02:27 AM

I call Steer and Gear, "steer clear"

haha
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/25/16 03:51 AM

I would go with Firm Feel. I have purchased various parts over the years with no issues. 2 Stage 3 power boxes, 20.1 manual box many years ago that is in my dart and works great. Plus a front sway bar on my 66 that fit and works like a glove. Not including a full set of Billstein shocks for my gtx.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/25/16 03:56 AM

Years ago, I had put a stage 2 Steer & Gear in my 73. It wasn`t much firmer then stock if at all. Plus I sent my old one in to get rebuilt and they sent me back a different box.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/26/16 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By Secret Chimp
Borgeson charging friggin $200 just for a coupler is what keeps turning me away from that setup.

Just get a simple $10 splined coupler to fit the Borgeson box, cut it to size and weld it to your original Mopar steering coupler.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/26/16 02:48 PM

I have S&G Stage 2 boxes in two of my cars, I am pleased with them but then again I'm not doing any road course racing. I swapped cores with them at Carlisle so there was no core or shipping charges which kept cost down.
Only problems I had was with their crappy rubber slip on boot which takes place of the crimp setup on the coupler. Two of them split in short order, went back to the clamp/crimp setup and it's been fine since.

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/26/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By bill440rt
I have S&G Stage 2 boxes in two of my cars, I am pleased with them but then again I'm not doing any road course racing. I swapped cores with them at Carlisle so there was no core or shipping charges which kept cost down.
Only problems I had was with their crappy rubber slip on boot which takes place of the crimp setup on the coupler. Two of them split in short order, went back to the clamp/crimp setup and it's been fine since.

Bill, on your next build step up to a FF Stage 3, the difference between S&G's highest "performance" box build and FF Stage 3 is a day and night comparison, and you don't need to autocross to appreciated the improved steering/feeling/response
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 06/27/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By bill440rt

Bill, on your next build step up to a FF Stage 3, the difference between S&G's highest "performance" box build and FF Stage 3 is a day and night comparison, and you don't need to autocross to appreciated the improved steering/feeling/response

Yeah, I have nothing against Firm Feel at all. Most of my S&G decision was based on cost, meeting them at their swap meet spot was convenient. I would consider them in the future. I can only report on S&G though based on my experience with them.
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Firm Feel or Steer and Gear - 07/06/16 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Years ago, I had put a stage 2 Steer & Gear in my 73. It wasn`t much firmer then stock if at all. Plus I sent my old one in to get rebuilt and they sent me back a different box.

Yeah, if you want your original parts back, don't use Steer and Gear (someone out there now has my original AAR Cuda p/s pump on their car down). I will never use Steer and Gear again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums