Moparts

Wheel hop / Driveline angel?

Posted By: cudaerik

Wheel hop / Driveline angel? - 06/22/16 01:36 PM

I'm struggling with severe wheel hop om my 1970 Plymouth Cuda.
The car is a street car that is set up with a 500 cubic inch low deck stroker, TKO 600 5 speed manual transmission, split monoleafs (new bushings) caltracks bars, brand new Bilstein shocks and BFG TA street radials.
Current driveline angels: transmission yoke 4 degrees down, driveshaft 2 degrees down, pinion yoke 3 degrees down.
I do not have the chance to raise the rear of the transmission more due to clearance issues in the transmission tunnel. What angel do the transmission yoke have on a stock 4 speed car?

Attached picture 011.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Wheel hop / Driveline angel? - 06/22/16 02:17 PM

Your driveline/pinion angles look good IMHO, have you considered the tires?...on my Charger when I run BFG's wheel hop like mad when I dump the clutch, when running Goodyears no issues, like two different cars
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Wheel hop / Driveline angel? - 06/22/16 03:20 PM

That sure is a beautiful car. You have a 7 degree difference between the downward angle of the pinion angle and the angle of the centerline of your engine/trans. That is way too much with Caltracs. If memory serves, it should be closer to 2 degrees.

Call Calvert and follow their advice on adjusting your pinion angle and their bars. Your car should not wheel hop with properly set-up Caltracs regardless of tires.

That thing must be squirelly with those POS Radial TA's. Try a set of Nitto drag radials if you want to hook up a lot better on the street. I love mine.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Wheel hop / Driveline angel? - 06/22/16 06:44 PM

Tires can make a huge difference. When I drive on TA tires it is like being in a rain storm, zero traction. Other street radials are way better at holding the pavement. The BFG Ta is near a low end garbage tire IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums