Moparts

426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan?

Posted By: Rhinodart

426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 12:34 AM

I am mocking-up my 426 Hemi without the rods and pistons but put the crank in with the old bearings and tightened the caps down. The crank turns freely but when I put the dampner on it hits the new Milodan oil pan where it bolts to the timing cover. The pulley's don't line up either, but I don't know if I have the correct ones yet. Anyone run into this issue? shruggy
Posted By: CSK

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 12:56 AM

is the lower timing gear on the crank ?

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 01:27 AM

No. There is no cam in it so I did not install the timing gears. So the are you saying the dampner will rest against the timing gear?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
No. There is no cam in it so I did not install the timing gears. So the are you saying the dampner will rest against the timing gear?

Yes, that was what he was saying. You need the gear on. The damper butts up against the crank gear.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 01:30 AM

Hello Jimmy. Is the timing cover on?

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 01:58 AM

Yes the timing cover is on and so is the water pump housing. I never thought about what stops the dampner from bottoming out on the crank, now I know! realcrazy Guess I got to get the dampner puller out, take off the water pump housing and timing cover, and put the gear on... runaway

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 02:07 AM

What is the diameter and height of the correct single groove crank pulley for a super stock Hemi?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 03:58 AM

Some of these questions are scary !!!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:03 AM

Hey, Hey , stop pulling our legs. Someone with over 31,000 post doesn't know that the timing gear has to go on ? come on. And why is the timing cover and water pump on? painting ?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:21 AM

Yes the timing cover is on and so is the water pump housing. I never thought about what stops the dampner from bottoming out on the crank, now I know! realcrazy Guess I got to get the dampner puller out, take off the water pump housing and timing cover, and put the gear on... runaway

You need the gear and the oil slinger on
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:30 AM

Oil slinger is optional. twocents

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:50 AM

I am mocking up the engine to install it in the chassis to make sure everything fits before I disassemble it for the machine work. I have other reasons to do it this way too, just can't talk about it yet. whistling I have never even thought about assembling an engine with no reciprocating assembly in it before, therefore it never dawned on me that I needed to put the crank timing gear on. shruggy
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
Hey, Hey , stop pulling our legs. Someone with over 31,000 post doesn't know that the timing gear has to go on ? come on. And why is the timing cover and water pump on? painting ?

Does the number of moparts posts make or break a person as a great mechanic.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 05:06 AM

Exactly. I am not a mechanic and never have been, I am a Mechanical Designer and Mechanical Technician and only play with grease and dirt after hours... biggrin

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 05:57 AM

Jimmy You're doing fine. when the time comes I may have a pulley for you
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 06:42 AM

Are you trying to use a street hemi balancer or a race Hemi or a aftermarket balancer? The pulley are not the same for each application tsk shruggy

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 03:30 PM

I have the thick balancer.

Attached picture dampner.jpg

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:22 PM

Anudder pic... realcrazy

Attached picture hemi dampner 3.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 04:43 PM

The stock 68/69-71 Hemi crank pulley is shorter than a stock B/RB pulley by about .75".

Put your water pump pulley on and pull the dampner out till the V belt grooves line up ,,, this is just mock up , no need to tear it all down to put the crank gear/oil slinger in place wink

Jim there are 2 hemi lower pulleys, it all depends on what water pump pulley you use. Up until ... I think .... sometime in 68 the Hemi used the standard B/RB waterpump pulley and had a very shallow crank pulley ... again "I think" ... that pulley is what the Milodon alum crank pulley is based off ? Then sometime in 68 Chrysler changed to the shallower Hemi only water pump pulley and the crank pulley was made a little deeper.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 06:09 PM

OK, wasn't sure what I had. I bought the water pump pulley that Megaparts sells for 66-68 I believe. It is shorter and doesn't come close to the water pump bolts, so when I pull the dampner back where is should be they will probably line-up. up
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 09:38 PM

Some help sorting it out

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/resources-pulley-checklist

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/15/16 10:10 PM

OK, wasn't sure what I had. I bought the water pump pulley that Megaparts sells for 66-68 I believe. It is shorter and doesn't come close to the water pump bolts, so when I pull the dampner back where is should be they will probably line-up. up

I didn't see one listed for 66-68 , only 68-71 ???

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 04:39 AM

This is the one I bought from Megaparts:

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=107-EP253

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 04:45 AM

This is the one I bought from Megaparts:

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=107-EP253

That is the 69-71 , stared being used sometime in 68 I believe , you need the deeper of the 2 hemi crank pullies.

If you have the right lower pulley the grooves between the 2 pulleys should not be more than a groove width apart with your dampner on as far as it was in that picture.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 02:08 PM

After doing more reading it seems that any single groove big block pulley is the same for the 66-68 Hemi also. I have plenty of those laying around and will give it a shot. up

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 05:08 PM

After doing more reading it seems that any single groove big block pulley is the same for the 66-68 Hemi also. I have plenty of those laying around and will give it a shot. up

Link please because that can't be right , the hub is also thicker on an ORIGINAL Hemi balancer. , if one runs a thin balancer on the Hemi then stock B/RB wedge pullys can be used , this not the case with the Hemi.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 08:57 PM

Not so tsk None of the stock 383/440 water pump pulley, NONE of them are the same as the 1966 to 1971 street Hemi water pump pulleys scope Many people, me included, have tried to use a stock 383 single groove water pump pulley with a 440 dampener and a 383/440 bottom single groove pulleys, they are absoulutely not comapatable on a 426 street Hemi motor runawayshruggy

Web Site Techs, Why is this post making my computer show 4 different links to this web site, on this post only helpwork
Please fix it!

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/16/16 09:17 PM

OK, I read the Bouchillon site above and that is what is said, unless I am reading it wrong!?! It is pretty hard to read, so it just might be me again... shruggy

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/17/16 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
[quote=Rhinodart] Many people, me included, have tried to use a stock 383 single groove water pump pulley with a 440 dampener and a 383/440 bottom single groove pulleys, they are absoulutely not comapatable on a 426 street Hemi motor runawayshruggy

Cab , unless the snout of the hemi crank is different in length how is that not possible considering the hemi uses the same timing cover and waterpump housing ?
Posted By: ta3834bbl

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/17/16 06:05 PM

Interesting learning going on here. I will stay tuned for my future project and learn as well.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 03:56 AM

So I put the puller on the dampner and moved it back to where the alternator lines up with the crank pulley and the aftermarket Hemi water pump pulley is not even close. It looks like the pulley I need would just about hit the water pump bolts like on a 383/440. I do have another supposed Hemi crank pulley that is smaller in diameter and shorter than the one I have on the car which I was told was the right pulley. So, what is the diameter and height of the correct Super Stock Hemi crank pulley and water pump pulley? shruggy I will ask over at Class Racer and see what they say. scope
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 04:06 AM

On my Hemi the water pump pulley is so far back it covers the water pump bolts...i.e. they fit inside it.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 04:11 AM

What I remember on the 426 street Hemi pulleys is that the 1966 to 1968, maybe even some early 1969 cars had the first version which Mopar changed in 1969 to 1971 cars to the later pulleys shruggy I can't remember what the exact differences where now confused The 1964/1965 Race Hemi used a thin balancer like the 361/426W motors used with the straight timing tab timing covers. I think the later(1969/1971 Street Hemi) ones had a smaller diameter crank pulley shruggy As far as my statement on the water pump pulley I'm probally wrong on that now that I think about some of the standard steering (1962 to 1971) B/RB motors I have that there water pump pulleys might have work one or the other street Hemi motors shruggy

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By HemiRick
On my Hemi the water pump pulley is so far back it covers the water pump bolts...i.e. they fit inside it.

That is what I have been seeing, but I have not found a real good picture of the area, I need to do some more searching. scope I did find this pic of Max Hurley's Hemi Dart.

Attached picture super stock hemi max hurley.jpg
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 05:43 AM

I have March alum pulleys and the water pump uses these pan head bolts for clearance. Since my pulleys are thicker than steel ones, they may need more space. But the point is the pulley is as far back as it can get.

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 03:54 PM

Thanks, that is what I have seeing also. up

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 05:14 PM

Agreed on using pan head bolts (there are many varieties). they've saved my a$$ in a few situations

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Agreed on using pan head bolts (there are many varieties). they've saved my a$$ in a few situations
If your going to use a non stock bolt without the built in thread sealer inserts on the water pumps make sure and use a thread sealer on the bolts to prevent coolant loss around the threads twocents

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/18/16 11:40 PM

Quote:
If your going to use a non stock bolt without the built in thread sealer inserts on the water pumps make sure and use a thread sealer on the bolts to prevent coolant loss around the threads
Good reminder, AF leaks are the cats ass

Re: 426 Hemi dampner hits oil pan? - 06/19/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By HemiRick

That is what I have been seeing, but I have not found a real good picture of the area, I need to do some more searching. scope I did find this pic of Max Hurley's Hemi Dart.

That looks like a B/RB non A/C waterpump pulley , the matching crank pulley for that on a stock hemi balancer would be very shallow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums