Moparts

McLeod clutches

Posted By: Gerald l

McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 03:20 PM

Im about to get my low deck stroker installed and decided to just put in a new clutch since everything will be apart anyway. I came across these 2. Anyone have any experience with these? I thought about center force..seems to be a little cheaper but I hear mixed reviews. Some people love em and some people say they are too grabby and burn out too quickly

Clutch Kit, Super StreetPro, Organic, Ceramic, 1.0 in. Diameter Shaft, 23-Spline, 10.5 in. Diameter Disc, Kit - rated for 500hp

Or McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch Kit...rated for 800hp?

There's about a $300 difference so which one would be a better choice for a street driven car? I don't want to buy the more expensive one and be over compensating if the cheaper one will be just as good. I haven't dynoed the engine so I don't know the power numbers yet.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 03:32 PM

After vibration issues with a Centerforce Dual Friction, I went with a McLeod street clutch/disc. Have been very happy with it for years.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By FM3AAR
After vibration issues with a Centerforce Dual Friction, I went with a McLeod street clutch/disc. Have been very happy with it for years.

Same here, didn't care for the Centerforce Dual (overrated), McLeod is a much better choice/component
Posted By: therocks

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 04:13 PM

CF dual in my 65.Been in for 15 years.No problems ever and still hooks great.I did run McCleod B&Bs for years.But getting old 3200 pound was hard to use.My CF is light and hooks great.Ran Zoom and it was trash.Rocky
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 04:27 PM

I have older street twin McLeod in my car. Took a little to get used to, it is a bit heavier and seems to grab quickly, but I love it. Tech person at McLeod said it would last against my engine combo at the time.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By therocks
CF dual in my 65.Been in for 15 years.No problems ever and still hooks great.I did run McCleod B&Bs for years.But getting old 3200 pound was hard to use.My CF is light and hooks great.Ran Zoom and it was trash.Rocky

CFDF here also. Been in for many years with no issues. Best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned. I race with it and do a lot of street driving. At my age, I like the light pedal pressure and I also like the fact that it hooks...11" DF is rated at 580 lb/ft, while the CF DFX is rated at 625 lb/ft. The DFX is ceramic and is a touch grabby, but tolerable.
In any case make sure you either install a new flywheel or have the one you have now resurfaced.
Good luck.

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 08:22 PM

68 mine is the same.People complain about diaphram clutch but I shift at 7200 with no problems.Rocky
Posted By: AndyF

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 09:41 PM

Do you have an 8 bolt crank? I have a McLeod Street Twin that is new in the box that I'm not planning to use. I had it up for sale in the parts section but it hasn't sold yet.
Posted By: TJP

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/14/16 11:39 PM

we've installed a Butt load of CF clutches, only 1 had a problem, they did take care of it after a bit of arm twisting beer

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/15/16 03:04 AM

I believe it's a 6 bolt. I'll have to double check tomorrow
Posted By: frank

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/15/16 03:29 AM

I went the McCloud with my 496 stroker. Engine makes 650 pounds of torque and no issues with the McCloud. I'm going to use another one in my nest project also
Posted By: Morty426

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/15/16 04:01 AM

I have sworn by McLeod clutches and have never had a problem. You just need a strong left leg.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/15/16 11:34 PM

I have had good experiences with both McLeod and Centerforce clutches. Used McLeod for years, tried a CF recently and I like it. Not sure, but my gut says I'll probably go CF on the next project.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/16/16 12:35 AM

I have two CF, one in my Cuda works great, one in my Viper powered SRT-10 and I hate it. Only difference in the two is a hydraulic master/slave on the SRT steel flywheel, and fully mechanical on the Cuda Aluminum flywheel. I've used McLeod and they worked great in a 68 Hemi RR. The advice about the pressure plate is dead on.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/16/16 01:57 PM

I have one in my 68 truck. No issues. I had to modify the fingers to allow for the larger input shaft. You can have them laser cut it for you before it gets to you (if necessary) but I didn't think about it before it was too late.
Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/17/16 04:04 AM

I have used the Mcleod Rst and Rxt (twin disc) in my 4100lbs RR.

My first stroker motor made 550 torque 500 hp. I used the RST, and intermittently the clutch would slip. I took the clutch apart, and found glazing on the flywheel and discs.

I sent the clutch back to Mcleod, and they rebuilt it under warranty. They said for some reason the clutch never seated properly. I did perform the 500 miles break-in period.

Mcleod wanted me to use the RST again. Since I replaced the cam/intake on my motor, It now made 600 hp and 650 torque. I decide to use the RXT, and I am currently breaking it in. Breakin is very important.

The clutch feels very light. It's a pleasure to drive in heavy traffic. The pedal effort feels very close to a new car.

Centerforce did not recommend the DF for my setup because my car weight and power. I think they mentioned it was good for 500-550 hp in a 3500lbs car.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/17/16 04:24 AM

All we install are McLeods..
Tried 1 CF had major issues, tossed it in the dumpster..
R&R a clutch is too labor intense to use marginal parts..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/17/16 05:58 AM

we used the McLeod on the stock car once (360/iron bell/A230 3 sp) & it held up fine. granted it ain't drop the hammer drag race standing starts but it was mostly WOT in the straights & part throttle in the corners. on teardown the disc was burnt but no slippage
Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/17/16 01:15 PM

I forgot to mention the Rxt does eat up the flywheel because of the ceramic material. Mcleod said this is normal. I also do not have any clutch chatter.

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/22/16 02:19 PM

Do I need to get the 130 or 143 tooth flywheel for the 400 motor with a 6 bolt crank?

Re: McLeod clutches - 06/22/16 03:43 PM

Depends on the bell housing you have.Scatter shield would take both but to use the 130 they sell a kit to move starter over.Rocky

Re: McLeod clutches - 07/28/16 10:51 PM

So I contacted brewers and they recommended I get the McLeod 12" instead of the street twin.
McLeod recommended the 11". Guess my question is will the 12" fit in a stock B body bellhousing? I seen on summits sight that it's a truck clutch

Attached picture PicsArt_07-28-04.26.52.jpg
Posted By: joelson6

Re: McLeod clutches - 07/30/16 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By Beep Beep
I have used the Mcleod Rst and Rxt (twin disc) in my 4100lbs RR.

My first stroker motor made 550 torque 500 hp. I used the RST, and intermittently the clutch would slip. I took the clutch apart, and found glazing on the flywheel and discs.

I sent the clutch back to Mcleod, and they rebuilt it under warranty. They said for some reason the clutch never seated properly. I did perform the 500 miles break-in period.

Mcleod wanted me to use the RST again. Since I replaced the cam/intake on my motor, It now made 600 hp and 650 torque. I decide to use the RXT, and I am currently breaking it in. Breakin is very important.

The clutch feels very light. It's a pleasure to drive in heavy traffic. The pedal effort feels very close to a new car.

Centerforce did not recommend the DF for my setup because my car weight and power. I think they mentioned it was good for 500-550 hp in a 3500lbs car.

I also have an RXT in my '74 Challenger and I love it. I used Ram 3200# pressure plates and the 900 series discs and use to eat them up like candy. never go back to the Ram clutches.

I have a CF II in my all stock '72 Challenger and that's awesome too. it doesn't get a lot of abuse though. had to remove the over center spring too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums