Moparts

Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs

Posted By: 2ndopp

Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 06:07 AM

I am replacing my leaf springs for the first time on a 73 B-body. I ordered a pair of Mopar Performance HD springs (P4452982, P4452983). I know there is supposed to be a difference with how the leafs are set up on each, but is there supposed to be a height/curve difference between the two before they're installed? When I set them eyelet to eyelet, there seems to be an inch or two difference in height where the mounting pad sits (See pictures). Just wanted to check with the veterans before I install them.

Attached picture 13428428_1209362409088062_2184622564537124262_n.jpg
Attached picture 13406878_1209362389088064_4140792489104811598_n.jpg
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 06:32 AM

Note that 1 spring has 1 more leaf, this goes on the right (passenger) side..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 04:27 PM

That is how they are supposed to be, one side may be higher than the other.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 04:36 PM

Good luck with the MP springs. I hope they are better than when I ordered a pair 5 or 7 years ago. I had them on the car for one year, and they sagged so much, that they were starting to reverse arc. The sag was over 5inches ! I got my original springs re-arched and added on leaf. Car is 1970 Sport Satellite.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 05:54 PM

The brand new MP XHD springs I installed on my 1971 Challenger R/T didn't make it out of the driveway because the rear sat so low.
I wasn't rubbing on the tires but they were very close.
I couldn't imagine how low the car would have ended up when the springs sagged even more after a few years.

Luckily I am close enough that I was able to take them right back off and return them to Summit Racing.

I was told it is the correct "stock" factory ride height, which it might be, but most Mopars today aren't riding on short little 14" factory tires.

Good luck.

Posted By: Morty426

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 06:52 PM

The passenger one will be taller. That's the direction that the torque goes.
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 07:38 PM

Not happy with my mopar hd springs either . I will be going with espo's springs next time
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 09:33 PM

Part numbers ending with an odd number are left side, ending with an even are right.

This applies to most, if not all, parts when there is a left/right (tail light lenses, fenders, doors, springs, torsion bars, control arms, exhaust manifolds, ETC)

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 10:46 PM

Yikes, I wasn't expecting so many poor reviews.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/09/16 11:24 PM

if you think they have the arch and will have the height you need then run them. i think most people want springs that will raise the car an inch or two and that's why the Espo option is popular.

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 12:29 AM

Well now I'm a little more concerned about rear ride height. The picture below shows how my car currently sits on the 40 year old 318 springs (I will be lowering the front a bit). The problem is that I used extended shackles on the leaf springs because the old wheels used to rub, the new ones have no issue so I was planning to put OEM shackles back on. I was already worried that this will drop the back a tiny bit, but now it sounds like the Mopar HD leaf springs might drop even more. Crap, I don't want to lose another $50 shipping these back to Summit.

Attached picture 13419083_1209847409039562_1999344739705662502_n.jpg
Attached picture 13432399_1209847235706246_8929302732143379635_n.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 02:28 AM

I bought my Superstock springs from Mancini and they are the 3400 lb springs. They have been on my 63 since about 2008 and this is how it still sits as they have not sagged at all. Ron

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
I bought my Superstock springs from Mancini and they are the 3400 lb springs. They have been on my 63 since about 2008 and this is how it still sits as they have not sagged at all. Ron

yeah, your car sits nice, pretty much has me decided i want to put the same springs on my 67 coronet which sits a little low in the rear with the factory 318 springs and a 28" tall tire...
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 03:06 AM

Lesson #1. Always ask on Moparts first before you buy.

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 04:47 AM

the XHD springs might be ok but you're gonna have to pull yr existing springs off, compare the arch and the amount of leaves in the pack that run a large portion of the length of the spring...
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 05:08 AM

Springs made in Canada= Thumbs up

Springs made in Mexico= Thumbs down
Posted By: ahy

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 05:11 AM

As many have said, the spring with more leaves goes on the pass side to help handle torque on acceleration.

My MP XHD springs also sagged within a year. Turned out OK in my case though. They were too soft for my handling application. One full leaf added at a spring shop got them level and increased rate. I'm happy now.
Posted By: RichL1967

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/10/16 03:45 PM

I bought those springs also for my 71 Charger and had the same concern as you. Almost sent them back but then didn't. Once they where in the car, and measuring from ground to wheel lip, to my surprise, after a few days settling, both measurements were the same within a 1/8". They have only been in a few months so I can't comment on the bad reviews of other posters.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/11/16 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock
Originally Posted By 383man

yeah, your car sits nice, pretty much has me decided i want to put the same springs on my 67 coronet which sits a little low in the rear with the factory 318 springs and a 28" tall tire...

Thanks for the kind words. wave Ron

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/15/16 06:17 AM

It looks like I will be returning the Mopar HD leaf springs and try Espo. Looking at how my car sits in the picture and knowing that I will be replacing the 1" extended shackle with stock shackles, I think I need the 2" raised leaf springs and heavy duty for future upgrades. The rear tires are currently 27" but I will put on either 28" or 29"s

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/15/16 03:41 PM

if i were you, i would put the car up on jackstands at the frame in the rear and use a jack to drop the axle down and see if i could compare the arch of the original springs and the XHD springs.

the XHD springs are supposed to be just like the factory 440/hemi springs, and there is an all original Coronet RT i've seen a few times and that car sits pretty much perfectly level at a moderate ride height.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/15/16 04:25 PM

If my memory serves me, you need to check the locator pin size on 73 up. I believe it is a different size than earlier cars. You may have to weld a washer with smaller hole onto the pearch pad unless you can find aftermarket springs 73 up which I don't think is avail?? I could be wrong on all of this but it comes to mind. Remember your 73 up B body is iso suspension
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/15/16 09:36 PM

I have the Mexico SS springs on my 70 Bee. Once I got everything bolted together, front bolts in the upper hanger holes and weight on the wheels, they set just right, but I will say that pinion angle was all screwed up and I had to put spring perch wedges in to get the rear yoke back in line. I've seen INSANE variations in SS springs. Dave Pelletier's 70 bee gets the award for the craziest arch I've ever seen. No kidding. He had about 6 inches between the wheel well and the top of the tires!

Re: Difference between passenger and driver side leaf springs - 06/16/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By mopargem
If my memory serves me, you need to check the locator pin size on 73 up. I believe it is a different size than earlier cars. You may have to weld a washer with smaller hole onto the pearch pad unless you can find aftermarket springs 73 up which I don't think is avail?? I could be wrong on all of this but it comes to mind. Remember your 73 up B body is iso suspension

Will do, especially since Espo quoted me $390 for new leafs shipped. Now I'm tempted to just use what I have and save up for a 4-link.
© 2024 Moparts Forums