Moparts

Aftermarket A/C

Posted By: moparmojo

Aftermarket A/C - 06/06/16 08:47 PM

Guys I'm in the planning stages of getting the body on my 1970 Challenger Convertible redone and questioning what I should do about A/C. Wondering what everyone's opinion is on:
* Install an A/C firewall and use factory air parts
* Install a non-A/C firewall and go with an aftermarket A/C set up or some combination of the two?
If anyone has any pics of their aftermarket A/C set up, please share. Your opinions welcomed as well. Thanks
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/06/16 10:34 PM

Vintage air all the way

Attached picture 8-12-2small.jpg
Posted By: moparts

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 12:28 AM

I would use Vintage Air using the stock vents were possible.

That is if you want the AC Dash pad

Or they have a complete kit for Challengers
Posted By: ahy

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 02:27 AM

Starting with a non AC car, I would go all aftermarket. Finding and restoring a complete OE AC setup + changing the firewall would be time consuming and expensive. I understand the aftermarket units work well and are a lot lighter. Only downside is you give up fresh air. I doubt that would be a problem with a convertible.

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By gtx6970
Vintage air all the way

Gtx beautiful engine bay. Did your car have an AC firewall initially and/or what is that black circle where the AC lines enter through the firewall? what I am trying to do is plan ahead and determine the best plan of action where the firewall is concerned to make it appear the cleanest it can be.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By moparmojo
Originally Posted By gtx6970
Vintage air all the way

Gtx beautiful engine bay. Did your car have an AC firewall initially and/or what is that black circle where the AC lines enter through the firewall? what I am trying to do is plan ahead and determine the best plan of action where the firewall is concerned to make it appear the cleanest it can be.

Original non air car. The black circle is a plate that covers where the original blower motor sticks out.

After using this,,,there's no way I would go to the trouble of changing firewalls .

As an FYI, If I had it to do over again, I would find an original AC dash pad. It gets really tight quarters under the dash routing all the AC hoses to exit under a non air pad
Posted By: brando

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 05:32 AM

I installed Vintage Air in may 1973 Charger. Be prepared to make some minor modifications. Talk to as may people as you can that have installed A/C in a Challenger and ask them to take pictures
A member with a 73 Charger took pictures of his A/C installation for me that helped me immensely.

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 07:58 PM

My Challenger already has an Air dash. The firewall needs to be replaced regardless of which route I go.But wonder if it is better to use an air firewall with aftermarket AC and a cover plate or use a non-air firewall with aftermarket AC for a cleaner look?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/07/16 11:09 PM

I put the Vintage Air system in my '69 Coronet, and I like it except for the way the route the hoses under the fender. If I did this again I would use a bulkhead connector and run the hoses in the engine compartment.
Posted By: Gabmando

Re: Aftermarket A/C - 06/08/16 04:00 AM

brando I too would like to install aftermarket AC in my 73 Charger Rallye. I really would appreciate it if you would please share those pictures with me. thanx.
© 2024 Moparts Forums