Moparts

72 scamp rear

Posted By: gogo318

72 scamp rear - 05/29/16 04:26 PM

Hello all ! Glad to know moparts is still here and doing quite well ! I have a question im hoping someone might know . Ive decided to build that old scamp body ive had behind the shop so i sent it off to a good freind to have it preped and sprayed i still have my old van motor that ill refresh and drop in it its a stout little 318 thats supposed to male about 400 horsepower acording to the build i copied ( sure we've all read the 318 cheap as dirt build right?) And i think i want to mate it to a 904 to take advantage of that quicker first gear thereay or may not be a trans brake involved havent decided how balls out i wann go yet question is the car is a 2 door factory small block (318 by build tag but last owner had a 360 in it ) and factory manual so i wondersd what rear is it supposed to have and would ot be any good to keep bavk there with this plan ? Last owner sayed he drove ot like it was stolen with a 360 and wasnt gentle with it so i figure ot would be ok for a little while but i dont wanna snap off a yoke the first time out either .any thoughts or expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 72 scamp rear - 05/29/16 05:48 PM

Compare it to these pics and let us know what's in it now. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/6.html
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 72 scamp rear - 05/29/16 07:53 PM

what Stump said, see what you have & if it has the ring gear bolts for the pig on the front side (8&3/4) you're set. If not then that is what I would search for either an OE A body one which will have SBP (they are getting pricey) or get a C body or 1/2 ton truck 8&3/4 & have Moser cut down the axles/housing so you can have BBP for your wheels
© 2024 Moparts Forums