Moparts

Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff?

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 03:12 PM

I've used spray undercoating before, but it was a lot thinner than the 'tar-like' factory undercoating. What is a decent undercoating that can be applied 1/4" thick and stick well to both bare and painted metal?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 03:45 PM

Resto Rick sells a product that is like the factory stuff.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 04:36 PM

FWIW, I read years back, many decades ago, some OEM undercoatings had asbestos as an additive. What exactly for, I don't know. I have never been able to 100% confirm that. I also understand that would create such a huge liability for the car restoration segment/industry/hobby, most will ignore/not touch the subject, so wanting to have the old thick undercoating may not be really what you want. eek grin
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 06:46 PM

It's not the ingredients I'm trying to match, it's the thickness and adhesion I'm after. Of course, I'd like it to look like an automotive undercoating, but I don't need the actual stuff they used. John I'll check out restore rick thanks. Jcc, I swear they used to put asbestos in everything lol.

I would like to know though, what the stuff they used in the 70's was made of and how it was applied. My guess is its similar to asphalt and was applied hot?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 07:02 PM

eek, now I know why my toothpaste would never catch fire. grin
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By Adam71Charger
It's not the ingredients I'm trying to match, it's the thickness and adhesion I'm after. Of course, I'd like it to look like an automotive undercoating, but I don't need the actual stuff they used. John I'll check out restore rick thanks. Jcc, I swear they used to put asbestos in everything lol.

I would like to know though, what the stuff they used in the 70's was made of and how it was applied. My guess is its similar to asphalt and was applied hot?

I've always heard and knew that every factory did things differently. I don't know if there was a "standard" as for undercoating. With that, the majority of people claim undercoating was mainly left for the dealerships to apply but not always
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/18/16 10:16 PM

check with Rick , he has stuff that acts similar and the gun to apply it , it won't be cheap though .

If it's not a restoration something like herculiner would work well. I bought some bedliner that came in a spray can ...
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 01:18 AM

I've used spray undercoating before, but it was a lot thinner than the 'tar-like' factory undercoating. What is a decent undercoating that can be applied 1/4" thick and stick well to both bare and painted metal?
I wouldn't put undercoating over bare metal. If it gets moisture underneath it will rust like crazy. I'm not a real fan of undercoating myself (except in the wheelhouse). You might check this out:http://3mcollision.com/3m-body-schutz-rubberized-coating-black-8864.html
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 01:25 AM

I used to use roofing tar mixed with gasoline (grew up in the rust belt), the gasoline would evaporate and I applied it with a suction sand blaster...worked good, last a life time. The cars would rot around the tar...Tim
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 01:47 AM

Truck bed liner.

Attached picture 6638dcf05a1c3ca9124c97ae0d2aa7e4.jpg
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 03:18 AM

RestoRicks stuff works well for me, but bear in mind, how you apply it (air pressure, speed, flash time etc.) will greatly affect the overall appearance. This is a good thing though as it allows you some flexibility in tailoring the look you're after.
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 05:09 AM

Any coating in a can and a... and here's the key, a schultz gun.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Nice thick undercoating like the factory tar stuff? - 05/19/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By Car Nut
Truck bed liner.

I used this stuff too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums