Moparts

What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives?

Posted By: 2ndopp

What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 01:03 AM

Dropping freeway rpms seems to be a critical part of bringing our cars up to date. My 73' Plymouth satellite currently has a strong 727 with 3.73 gears in the back. I plan on bumping up to 4.10 eventually, but not before I take car of the transmission. I thought I wanted to go with the gear vendors bolt on overdrive, but then I found out about the A-518 swap. These are great choices, but since it's 2016, I was wondering what new options we have for swaps. Are there any modern 5 or 6-speed automatics that can be installed with minimal fabrication? Here are the options I know about:

Gear Vendors 727 bolt on overdrives:
3-speed plus overdrive (.78)
https://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge3s.html
Minimal fitting adjustments, driveshaft lengthening
4.10 gears drive like 3.20

A-518 transmission swap
3-speed plus overdrive (.69)
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84774.0
Major alterations to fit, new cross member.
4.10 gears drive like 2.83

Keisler A41 transmission swap Discontinued?
3-speed plus overdrive (.70) Electronically controlled
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/0908phr-keisler-a41-automatic-transmission/
4.10 drives like 2.87
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 05:40 AM

The late model NAG and 545RFE transmissions are physically larger but 5 speed automatics that require a computer to run. The 8 speed in the 2014 and later Chrysler and Dodge models is amazing though, First gear is 4.7 to 1. 7th and 8th are overdrive. Again, the trans needs a computer to run and as of yet, nobody has cracked the code or built a stand alone computer.
TCI had built a 6 speed automatic to fit Mopar big and small blocks. Jegs had them priced near $8500 or so !
Posted By: BDW

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 07:49 AM

I went with the 518 in my SB Challenger and love it.
I definitely wouldn't say it was major modifications. It was the least expensive option.
I have 3.73 gears and the OD has made the car so I don't mind taking it on 2-3hr road trips.

Posted By: minivan

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 04:30 PM

My calcs using a GV and 3.55 rear gears would work out to 270 something final drive...
I have 294 gears in it now.. Would love to overdrive it but probably wont happen.....
Over 3.55 gears on the street IMOP, would be overkill....

Attached picture DSCF0267.JPG
Posted By: SilverOverdrives

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By 2ndopp
Dropping freeway rpms seems to be a critical part of bringing our cars up to date. My 73' Plymouth satellite currently has a strong 727 with 3.73 gears in the back. I plan on bumping up to 4.10 eventually, but not before I take car of the transmission. I thought I wanted to go with the gear vendors bolt on overdrive, but then I found out about the A-518 swap. These are great choices, but since it's 2016, I was wondering what new options we have for swaps. Are there any modern 5 or 6-speed automatics that can be installed with minimal fabrication? Here are the options I know about:

Gear Vendors 727 bolt on overdrives:
3-speed plus overdrive (.78)
https://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge3s.html
4.10 gears drive like 3.20

A-518 transmission swap
3-speed plus overdrive (.69)
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84774.0
Major alterations to fit, new cross member.
4.10 gears drive like 2.83

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/0908phr-keisler-a41-automatic-transmission/
4.10 drives like 2.87

Keisler is gone but the A41 lives on here at SST!

https://shiftsst.com/articles/cat/mopar/post/charger-gtx-super-bee-1971-1974-perfectfit-kit/
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 06:52 PM

Pictures of this INSTALLED???

Kiesler was great for a NO CUTTING required install that made a mess of the factory driveline angle because many Mopar owners refuse to cut anything ...
Posted By: cruzin

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/16/16 07:50 PM

Perhaps you may want to give the 200r some consideration?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/thre...ocation.252436/

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 02:33 AM

Awesome news! Thank you silver.

Cruzin, that .67 overdrive in the 200R4 sounds very tasty.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR

Kiesler was great for a NO CUTTING required install that made a mess of the factory driveline angle because many Mopar owners refuse to cut anything ...

John, I think your confusing the Tremec TKO 5 spd MANUAL withe the 4spd AOD (A41), I've done the 4spd AOD (A41) in a 71 B body with NO mods to the floor, driveline angles were within factory specs, the 4spd AOD is no larger than the TF727, the 4spd AOD (A41) was truly a "bolt-in" kit application
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 04:51 AM

A41 kit is nice, real nice.. but spendy. I'll second the 200R4 route.
Posted By: mrob

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 03:10 PM

Here's another link for an A-518 swap into a 68 Charger. Biggest problem I see is the torsion bar cross member. It needs to be modified quite a bit. See pics:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116725.msg1448658.html#msg1448658
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 03:29 PM

Still only small blocks right?
Any big block automatic affordable overdrive options?
Posted By: Dabee

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/17/16 05:10 PM

I have a GV on the 727 in my 69 Bee street car. Going on six years now and love it. I have a manual reverse VB and drive it like a four speed. 2500 rpm at 75 mph.

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/18/16 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By Copper Dart
Still only small blocks right?
Any big block automatic affordable overdrive options?

The Silver Sport transmission is available with either a small block or a big block bell housing. The transmissions they use have a bolt on bells.

All the other options, Mopar 500/518, GM 2004R or the 700R4 would have to have their original bell cut off and have a JW ultra Bell bolted on.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 05/18/16 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By JohnRR

John, I think your confusing the Tremec TKO 5 spd MANUAL withe the 4spd AOD (A41), I've done the 4spd AOD (A41) in a 71 B body with NO mods to the floor, driveline angles were within factory specs, the 4spd AOD is no larger than the TF727, the 4spd AOD (A41) was truly a "bolt-in" kit application

Thanks Mike , I don't know much about that auto trans and whenever I see something that came from Kiesler and had a NO HACK FIT I'm VERY SKEPTICAL after seeing a car with a Kiesler T5 and the bottom of the stock fan blade almost touching the radiator.

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 06/02/16 10:46 AM

What are your recommendations for choosing between lock-up and non lock-up torque convertors? What situations are better for each?
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 06/02/16 12:06 PM

Installed an A500 in my '72 Charger five years ago. It is great behind a late model 360 magnum. Put 1300 miles on it in one trip.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 06/04/16 01:52 AM

I drove a B-Body with a Gear Vendors. It was too little of a difference in gearing for the $, and a bother to use compared to what I have now.

I ended up using a 200R4 in my A-Body. While not cheap, the gear ratios are as close to perfect as you could get. Combined with the lock-up feature, it's like having a 5 speed automatic. Heck, I beat a Hellcat in a flag drop drag race over 300 miles from home. Next to EFI, it's one of the greatest upgrades you can do to these older Mopars.

US Cartool makes a kit to swap the transmission in, and Lonnie at Extreme Automatics can set up a 200R4 to hold over 1000 hp and it will bolt up to any Mopar engine out there including the GenIII Hemi's with the exception of the Slant 6.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 06/04/16 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By 2ndopp

4.10 drives like 2.87

Thats the one i have in the road runner now. Work pretty darn nice!!

I have 373's in the back and i am spinning 2000RPM at 65MPH or at least as close as my in dash tach says.

Re: What is new in B-body transmission swaps and overdrives? - 06/04/16 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By jbc426
I drove a B-Body with a Gear Vendors. It was too little of a difference in gearing for the $, and a bother to use compared to what I have now.

I ended up using a 200R4 in my A-Body. While not cheap, the gear ratios are as close to perfect as you could get. Combined with the lock-up feature, it's like having a 5 speed automatic. Heck, I beat a Hellcat in a flag drop drag race over 300 miles from home. Next to EFI, it's one of the greatest upgrades you can do to these older Mopars.

US Cartool makes a kit to swap the transmission in, and Lonnie at Extreme Automatics can set up a 200R4 to hold over 1000 hp and it will bolt up to any Mopar engine out there including the GenIII Hemi's with the exception of the Slant 6.

Ok, I am interested.
© 2024 Moparts Forums