Moparts

Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost???

Posted By: 340727dart

Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 02:16 AM

I am just about done with the automatic to four-speed conversion in my Dart.
I called a local driveshaft shop today to check on costs. A steel driveshaft with new solid U-joints, and balanced, runs $225.
An aluminum driveshaft costs $325.
I understand that for racing purposes an aluminum driveshaft is more desirable because of the lower rotating weight. But, is the added cost really worth it on a 100% street driven car?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 02:19 AM

my dodge dakota has an aluminum shaft from the factory.

it's definitly a street driven vehicle! 4.7L quad cab, 2wd pick-up truck. fast, this truck is not!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 02:33 AM

Remember that an aluminum shaft for the same HP is BIGGER in diameter. You can't stay at the same diameter alum vs steel...By the way, mine was over $800

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 03:01 AM

Quote:

But, is the added cost really worth it on a 100% street driven car?

Not unless you really, really, don't need the extra $100 for anything else.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 05:31 AM

On my budget it was not worth it as I went with a mild steel shaft in my 63. So far i'ts been fine. Ron
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 06:38 AM

Quote:

But, is the added cost really worth it on a 100% street driven car?

I think it'd be similar to the weight reduction by going from an iron water pump or master cyl to an aluminum one(but more). It all adds up. With the compact mass of a driveshaft I dont think you would feel any gain from the decrease in rotating weight though
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 12:56 PM

Quote:

I am just about done with the automatic to four-speed conversion in my Dart.
I called a local driveshaft shop today to check on costs. A steel driveshaft with new solid U-joints, and balanced, runs $225.
An aluminum driveshaft costs $325.
I understand that for racing purposes an aluminum driveshaft is more desirable because of the lower rotating weight. But, is the added cost really worth it on a 100% street driven car?

Nope...someone on the race board just did this swap. I think they lost 1 - 2 pounds, tops.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 02:45 PM

Mine was 6lbs lighter, but again, so was my wallet!

I purchased the stainless yoke as well, and I put a forged one on the dana. I wanted it all bullet proof because when a drive shaft goes kaboom, so does your trans, floor boards, and sometimes the rear yoke and pinion...
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/05/09 03:13 PM

There are many different levels of steel driveshaft and aluminum driveshaft in terms of quality. For example the top level of driveshaft for nitrous racing from Denny's driveshafts is a steel shaft.

On the street the quality is of less importance and but if can get an aluminum shaft for an extra $100 over a new steel. I'd do it, even for a driver.

If I already had perfectly good, functioning steel shaft. I would never bother to change it.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/06/09 12:59 AM

Quote:

On the street the quality is of less importance and but if can get an aluminum shaft for an extra $100 over a new steel. I'd do it, even for a driver.

If I already had perfectly good, functioning steel shaft. I would never bother to change it.

Posted By: goldmember

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/06/09 01:08 AM

While you can measure the performance loss with a heavy shaft on the track(I have),the long term reliability of steel is the way to go for most apps. Strange Engineering has some good pricing on cromoly shafts if you want a potential upgrade.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost?? - 02/06/09 12:23 PM

there is 3-4#s difference in weight. anytime you can loose that much of rotating mass it's a plus imo. more than just the weight itself. call dynotech the 3.5" aluminum is very reasonable compared to the steel shafts. and it's only 1/4" bigger on each side.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost?? - 02/07/09 12:09 AM

I don't need a new shaft Qtree,mine is just fine.I also stated that yes you can measure the on track difference and I have.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Aluminum driveshaft on the street, worth the cost??? - 02/09/09 02:26 AM

There are lots of oem driveshafts on Ebay. How bout a bargain unit with new ends welded on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums