Moparts

Fuel Pump eccentric spinning?

Posted By: Dart 340

Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:48 AM

i have an edelbrock rpm cam. Lost my fuel pressure and pulled the pump off to see the eccentric not spinning with the timing gear........looks like it's free wheeling. I thought this was part of the cam on this shaft? If not, aren't they keyed? Um looks like I'll be pulling the timing cover..??
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:51 AM

Small block it should catch on the cam timing gear key.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:54 AM

Thats what I thought but you can spin it by hand with a screwdriver in the pump hole? What gives?
I looked at the edelbrock site and it shows it's
part of the ground camshaft???

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:56 AM

Must show a generic picture.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 02:07 AM

Yea, great. I have to pull the HB and crank pulley to
fix this don't I? The thing ran for a week ok now it's spinning. I don't get it. Must have been bolt pressure only? Maybe there's not a key in it?

Can I run an electric pump this summer and fix over winter? Whats the gamble?

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 02:10 AM

I bought this thing from a guy who had more $$ to spend on parts than he had brains. Good god, he put all this money into it without knowing anything about cars! I need to take his welder away also.............
Posted By: BobR

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 04:01 AM

Quote:

Yea, great. I have to pull the HB and crank pulley to
fix this don't I? The thing ran for a week ok now it's spinning. I don't get it. Must have been bolt pressure only? Maybe there's not a key in it?

Can I run an electric pump this summer and fix over winter? Whats the gamble?

Probably not good to let it spin freely. It will eventually eat itself up. -bob

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 04:24 AM

Yea that's what I was thinking. Spent all winter
getting this thing on the road by May and I'm just
tired of working on it. Been a long road so far.
How long is the tear down to get at it? Also can you but a timing cover with degree marks on it as this one has none. Kind of a pain to time.......

Was thinking a long day should do it.?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:39 AM

Cam bolt must be loose for the eccentric to spin freely. May have not been lined up with the notch in the eccentric when it was tightened. Not to bad of a job. Pull the balancer, timing cover, etc. I usually put a little loctite on the bolt. Mike
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 07:24 AM

Don`t even run that thing. The bolt is loose and if the timing gear falls off it can trash anything, including the block.
That happened on a hemi ram and mopar had to give him a warranty engine.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:47 PM

I was thinking maybe he didn't even put a key in it
because he was running an electric pump from the start. I guessed it was only bolt pressure holding it on.

I'm working on it now, looks to be a long day. I hope I don't find anything worse once I get in there. If so, might be a timing gear and cam change.......... great.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 01:51 PM

Has to be a key or the timing gear would also be spinning. The key extends through the gear and hooks the accentric. Then the conical washer and bolt.
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 02:29 PM

There`s also a two piece cam with an outer ring that spins freely on the inner cam to prevent wear. Could be one of those old ones in there.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 03:59 PM

Quote:

Has to be a key or the timing gear would also be spinning. The key extends through the gear and hooks the accentric. Then the conical washer and bolt.

Could be. Have to see once I get the cover off.

Anyone have a good way to remove the balancer bolt
without a tool to lock the rotation? Kind of stuck.
Going to try to lock with studs in the balancer pull holes.

Is a tool required? Been a long time since I tore this down.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 04:09 PM

Use an impact on the crank bolt - It will spin it right out. I have at times also taken the pulley off and put a couple of the bolts back in most of the wan but enough sticking out to wedge a large screw driver between to hold the crank from turning while I break the crank bolt loose. One broke loose it is easy. Use a alcheapo steering wheel puller on the damper to pull. Make sure to take the large washer off the crank bolt and then put the bolt most of the way back into the shaft and use it as and anvil to rest the tip of the puller on, Some of the pullers tip will slide into the crank hole and booger the threads up. The damper hole will fit right over the bolt head without the washer on it.

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 04:13 PM

Quote:

Use an impact on the crank bolt - It will spin it right out. I have at times also taken the pulley off and put a couple of the bolts back in most of the wan but enough sticking out to wedge a large screw driver between to hold the crank from turning while I break the crank bolt loose. One broke loose it is easy. Use a alcheapo steering wheel puller on the damper to pull. Make sure to take the large washer off the crank bolt and then put the bolt most of the way back into the shaft and use it as and anvil to rest the tip of the puller on, Some of the pullers tip will slide into the crank hole and booger the threads up. The damper hole will fit right over the bolt head without the washer on it.

I dont' have an impact... but the store is not that far away. I bent bolts in the puller holes trying that as support. Just to verify, standard thread or leftie?

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:06 PM

Quote:

Well here's what I found. Bolt must have come loose and they key got stripped off then.

Looks like he has a flat washer, then conical washer on this. Should there be a locker or just the conical without the other flat washer? Should you loctite the bolt?

Thanks.

Attached picture 4463829-SANY0002(2).JPG

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:11 PM

Is this a standard store key or is it hardened special?
Posted By: plymguy

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:22 PM

I made a tool that holds the balancer stationary so the large bolt can be removed and then tightened with the crankshaft turning. It consists of a round steel piece that fits on the balancer after the pully is removed. The holes in the round piece line up with holes on the balancer. It looks like a large washer. There is a piece of pipe welded to the round piece that goes down and hooks under the crossmember beneath the engine. Once in place it works slick. I have used this several times on my '67 Fury with 318 engine.
John

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:27 PM

The is the cam washer. Should it be bent that much
in the center? The guy had a flat washer on it too
which doesn't seem right.

Attached picture 4463854-SANY0006.JPG

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 05:28 PM

Attached picture 4463855-SANY0005.JPG
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 05/31/08 06:33 PM

That washer and key is toast. I would get a new washer and bolt and key from the dealer. No flat washer just the curved washer and bolt. Get the mopar performance kit P4529838 the washer is much stronger. I wouldn`t use a hardware store key. I`m pretty sure the key is hardened. Mike

Re: Fuel Pump eccentric spinning? - 06/03/08 02:37 AM

Quote:

That washer and key is toast. I would get a new washer and bolt and key from the dealer. No flat washer just the curved washer and bolt. Get the mopar performance kit P4529838 the washer is much stronger. I wouldn`t use a hardware store key. I`m pretty sure the key is hardened. Mike

Thanks, I ordered the kit. Also getting a key. This guy has some messed up stuff. Thinking I should pull the oil pan and check the mains and rods too........
© 2024 Moparts Forums