Moparts

Proper primer for painting engine

Posted By: swifter

Proper primer for painting engine - 02/04/09 11:19 PM

Is epoxy primer made in spray cans???? or do you use self-etching primer--Cast iron block with alum.heads and alum timing cover thanks
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/04/09 11:43 PM

I spray it all down with Brake Parts Cleaner and then just spray on the color.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 12:49 AM

I've used the Eastwood self etch with good results. I think the primer helps the paint stick better to the aluminum parts and gives better appearance on the iron.

Two part epoxy (cans only) would be better but not necessary for a decent paint job.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 12:49 AM

me 2
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 12:57 AM

Quote:

x 3.... you don't need primer on an engine
Posted By: sbhpcb

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 01:18 AM

I sprayed a coat of epoxy primer then sprayed acrylic enamel with the touch up gun that came in my $100 3 pack special. I have about 700 miles on the motor and it looks great. This paint covered very very good. I really believe it is cheaper than spray cans IF you have the primer ect any way for your car.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 01:26 AM

i put a thin dusting of ppg dp90 on my 400 sbc just because I had it lying around. So long as the block is clean (cleanliness is the key to the paint sticking) then you can just apply paint right over the bare metal.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 02:41 AM

I clean engine with wax and greese remover, then light coat of ppg dp epoxy sealer, then paint with ppg single stage with hardner, my engines been together 4 yrs now and it still looks like the paint is wet. great durability and if you chip paint from working on it you just get out the touchup brush and it looks like new again, cost more than can paint but I think you get better durability and looks better too.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Proper primer for painting engine - 02/05/09 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

x 3.... you don't need primer on an engine

primer is just more insulation to let your motor heat up more. and who wants that. primer isnt needed
© 2024 Moparts Forums